Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare and Taxes

Daycare and Taxes All things related to Taxes and running a Daycare post here. Topics of tax exemptions, forms, filings, tax write offs, IRS etc.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:17 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Food Program & Meal Deduction?

I'm hiring an accountant this year, but I want to understand how this works. How do you use the food program, and also claim the Standard Meal Allowance?

I know for the FP I can only claim a variation of 3 meals/snacks per day. The SMA allows you to claim up to 6. I never serve more than 4, but how does that work? Am I supposed to be keeping track of all of the extra meals in Minute Menu and then give that tally to my accountant?

TIA,
midaycare
Old 01-06-2015, 03:06 PM
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com

Some more threads on Meal Deductions: https://daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=meal+deductions
Old 01-06-2015, 03:41 PM
Unregistered

I keep track of all extra meals in minute menu, the food program knows your doing this for taxes, and just disallow the extra meals.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:29 PM
mac n peas

I think the answer is yes TOm's book, the Tax guide one, has a place for you to track all the meals that were paid for by a food program PLUS all the meals that weren't reimbursed and that's the number you use for the taxes. You will also claim the income from the Food program as income.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:13 PM
Business Author/Trainer

Default meals

Quote:
Originally Posted by midaycare View Post
I'm hiring an accountant this year, but I want to understand how this works. How do you use the food program, and also claim the Standard Meal Allowance?

I know for the FP I can only claim a variation of 3 meals/snacks per day. The SMA allows you to claim up to 6. I never serve more than 4, but how does that work? Am I supposed to be keeping track of all of the extra meals in Minute Menu and then give that tally to my accountant?

TIA,
midaycare
You can deduct all meals/snacks served to daycare children, including those that are not reimbursed by the Food Program. If your CACFP sponsor allows you to put all your meals/snacks into Minute Menu, then do so. If they don't want you to do this, then keep track of these extra meals/snacks elsewhere and add them together when claiming your food expenses.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:27 PM
Daycare.com Member

My food program lady doesn't work with Minute Menu, unfortunately. So no submitting electronically for me. And she doesn't want me to check the extra boxes; she seems to think I'm asking to be paid for those meals I have to print out my MM paperwork for FP each month without the extra meals marked, then after I have printed my monthly forms for the FP I go through and check the extra boxes for my taxes. (Thanks for the reminder! I just realized/remembered that I never checked the afternoon snack boxes for one child last month after printing my FP stuff!)

Tags
food program, meal deductions