Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just Wanna Slap 'em!
Pammie 08:12 AM 06-02-2010
GGGrrr...some parents....

Why is it that the parents that go out of their way to spend as little time as possible with their kids....are the ones that are surprised that no one else wants to spend time with their kids either??

Does any one else see a correlation between how much time PARENTS spend with their kids, and the personality of the CHILD??

Honestly, I have some kids that are in daycare as few hours each day as possible with the parents schedules...without exception, they are great, well-rounded, secure kids that I love to have extra hours when the parents ask!

Then I have other kids that are here, quite literally from the time I open at 7am until I close at 5:30pm EVERY SINGLE DAY. Parents routinely take days off from work, but still bring the kids.....several times each week pick the kids up at 5:30 from daycare, just to drop them off at grandmas or another sitter for the evenings....leave the kids at grandmas all weekend...took a 10 day trip to Mexico over Spring Break leaving the kids at grandmas.....then ask me if I would be willing to keep the kids until 11pm on Friday nite - and shocked that I said "no"!!! These two kids are more work than all the others in my group put together....no way do I want to keep them extra hours!! I know it's not the fault of the kids...they're just pawned off on anyone willing to care for them so the parents don't have to...and I think they know it!

Thanks....vent over
boysx5 08:26 AM 06-02-2010
oh yes I hear you loud and clear its annoys me to no end
tenderhearts 08:29 AM 06-02-2010
Yup I hear ya too, I have a couple like that too. It's really sad
fctjc1979 08:45 AM 06-02-2010
It's sad when parents don't realize what a gift kids are.
originalkat 10:48 AM 06-02-2010
I have the exact same experience. It really saddens my heart that some parents do not see what they are missing out on. I dont understand it at all.
nannyde 11:04 AM 06-02-2010
Yup and this is why I offer dramatically cheaper day care for the parents who have more WAKING hours a day with their kids. It's something I figured out many years ago and have used the system since.

I have a great group now. The longest a kid is in my care is nine hours a day. Every parent in my day care has about five WAKING hours a day with their kids. This makes ALL the difference in the world with the quality of parenting.

Quality kids have quantity time with their parents.
momofboys 11:51 AM 06-02-2010
I totally agree with you & wish it weren't that way but it seems that kids' behavior is a direct influence of how much one-on-one time they have with mom & dad.

Nannyde, thanks to you I will be implementing my new fee structure this fall based on when the child is picked up! I'm so excited!
Momma in MT. 04:15 PM 06-02-2010
GGRRRRRR!!!! I have that same kid sitting here right now. Over other kid has been gone for over an hour. Her mom has been off work for over an hour AND the icing on the cake........Her grandparents are in town from 3 states away. Grandpa was even the one that dropped her off today. Seriously, you only get to see your grand kids 2 times a year and you are going to leave her at daycare for 13 hrs!!!!!!
professionalmom 09:58 AM 06-03-2010
There is definitely a correlation! then the ones that spend little to no waking time with their children will blame us for every little problem the child has. I had one DCM that was "concerned" about her son coming to daycare because he would cry and carry on during drop-off every single day. Background: DCB was 21 mths - 29 mths during the time he was with me, DCB never met dad (out of country), DCM in school and works FT, I often had DCB 12-15 hours a day for 3-4 days, DCB with someone else on other days.

DUH!! What 2 year old ISN'T going to be upset that his miniscule mommy time is ending, when he only gets 1-3 hours a day (if that) with her?!

Now, my daughter is a different story. She's 22 mths, been out of my care for (maybe) 120 hours total her ENTIRE LIFE! And most of that time she was sleeping (daddy watching her). Forty of those hours were spend with grandma while I tended to the other grandma after her surgery. She has never had a problem with other people watching her. I always ask them and say that I know she can be a handful and gets upset when she doesn't get her way (terrible twos), but they ALWAYS say, "I don't know WHAT you're talking about! She didn't even wimper once! She was an absolute angel." And she never acts up when I go to leave because she knows that mommy is never gone long and always returns (usually before the infatuation with the new person wears off).
TGT09 10:36 AM 06-03-2010
Yep, I agree with all. Almost all my kids are with parents as much as possible....I got lucky in that arena.
originalkat 04:28 PM 06-03-2010
Originally Posted by Momma in MT.:
GGRRRRRR!!!! I have that same kid sitting here right now. Over other kid has been gone for over an hour. Her mom has been off work for over an hour AND the icing on the cake........Her grandparents are in town from 3 states away. Grandpa was even the one that dropped her off today. Seriously, you only get to see your grand kids 2 times a year and you are going to leave her at daycare for 13 hrs!!!!!!
Sad. That makes me so mad!
Daycare Mommy 01:58 AM 06-04-2010
This is the absolute worst part of doing daycare IMO. It bothers the heck out of me to see this. I just don't keep those families any more, but I still have so many sad memories of when I did. All those put out little faces that just wanted to be with mom or dad... It was too depressing.
Tags:bad parent
Reply Up