Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teacher's Infants Starting on August
theflyingflamingo 10:48 AM 06-23-2010
I think I know the answer to my own question but I wanted to verify. I have a teacher who is interested in having me watch her twin infants starting in August. I require a 2 week deposit for each child and was considering charging her 1/2 rate from the time she signs the contract until the time her infants start with the option of bring them over 2 days a week.
Do you think this is a fair arrangement? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Michele
judytrickett 11:29 AM 06-23-2010
Do NOT start making exceptions right off the start. BAD, BAD, BAD idea! Two related kids are NO different than two unrelated kids. The deposit is the deposit.

If anything siblings are WORSE than two unrelated kids because they represent a bigger chunk of your income so one day when they leave you don't want to only have HALF the deposit available to you when you now have TWO spots to fill.

Do NOT make exceptions because the exception is only an exception to YOU. To the parents it is the "norm" and they do not see you as giving them a deal and it will NOT be appreciated.

Don't do it. Business as usual for everyone.
Lilbutterflie 11:52 AM 06-23-2010
I think she means she has already collected a 2 week deposit per the contract. But since she's having to hold an open spot until August, she will charge them half price until August just for holding the spot (with the option to bring them 2 days a week).
It is true that you should try to explain that parents are paying for their SPOT just as much as they are paying for your services. So I think you could talk to the parents about it. They may not understand it though. It's hard for them to understand why they would need to pay you if they don't need your services yet.
SunflowerMama 01:07 PM 06-23-2010
I am currently holding a spot for a teacher's child starting in August and am interviewing another teacher family this weekend for the same situation.

I'm just charging one week's rate ($150) per month to hold the spot over the summer months. When the children officially begin in August I will collect the 2 week deposit at that time.
Golden Rule 07:33 PM 06-26-2010
Originally Posted by judytrickett:
Do NOT start making exceptions right off the start. BAD, BAD, BAD idea! Two related kids are NO different than two unrelated kids. The deposit is the deposit.

If anything siblings are WORSE than two unrelated kids because they represent a bigger chunk of your income so one day when they leave you don't want to only have HALF the deposit available to you when you now have TWO spots to fill.

Do NOT make exceptions because the exception is only an exception to YOU. To the parents it is the "norm" and they do not see you as giving them a deal and it will NOT be appreciated.

Don't do it. Business as usual for everyone.
I wish I had read your posts years ago.... I am giving away a full-time spot for free with two sibling groups (each with 1/2 discount for 2nd child).... I wish my head worked like yours!!!! So mis-programmed!!! Ugh!
MarinaVanessa 10:09 PM 06-26-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
I am currently holding a spot for a teacher's child starting in August and am interviewing another teacher family this weekend for the same situation.

I'm just charging one week's rate ($150) per month to hold the spot over the summer months. When the children officially begin in August I will collect the 2 week deposit at that time.
I also charge a holding fee but I require the deposit and signed contract up front or I'll try to fill the spot. The fee that I charge (I'm assuming twinmama is the same but could be wrong) is just that... a holding fee. I don't watch a child for that fee. If they came for care then I'd just sign them up as part-time and they pay their weekly rate same as everybody else. A holding fee is to make sure that they are quaranteed a spot until they actually start. Otherwise you'd be holding the spot and not getting anything for that time (keeping it open) and that's a huge disadvantage.
QualiTcare 10:40 PM 06-26-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I also charge a holding fee but I require the deposit and signed contract up front or I'll try to fill the spot. The fee that I charge (I'm assuming twinmama is the same but could be wrong) is just that... a holding fee. I don't watch a child for that fee. If they came for care then I'd just sign them up as part-time and they pay their weekly rate same as everybody else. A holding fee is to make sure that they are quaranteed a spot until they actually start. Otherwise you'd be holding the spot and not getting anything for that time (keeping it open) and that's a huge disadvantage.
i see what you're saying, but i think the point of charging 1/2 AND allowing children to come 2 days per week or whatever is a good incentive. i mean, why would someone pay $100 a week to hold a spot (aka NOTHING to parents) when they can pay that amount and take their kid somewhere part time?

either way, it's basically the same thing. if you charge a holding fee that is 1/2 price of full time (about the rate of part time fees) and keep the children 2days...then they ARE part timers. the only difference is, parents are more likely to keep their children in daycare part time to hold the spot than they are to pay part time prices and get no care.

honestly, if i needed care 3 or 4 months in the future....and my only option was to pay half price for NO CARE AT ALL....i wouldn't pay the fee because things change so much in that amount of time. BUT if i could pay 1/2 price and get care 2 days per week, i'd do it because i'd be getting instant gratification instead of spending money that may or may not be necessary.

i dunno. i don't see why anyone wouldn't offer part time care if they're charging part time prices to hold a spot.
Tags:contract, deposit
Reply Up