Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interview Today For PT
Oneluckymom 01:54 PM 09-28-2012
So one of my DC families recommended me to a friend looking for childcare, a 3yr old boy. Well, I have one spot open and another one is open until next may when one of my DC moms will enroll her baby.

The thing is I really want to enroll a FT child because I have such limited spots available. And im a small.

I don't want to scare them off by telling them that PT spots aren't permanent....I've done that before and they decided not to enroll. How should I handle this? Calls for this age are few and far between these days.
daycare 02:04 PM 09-28-2012
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
So one of my DC families recommended me to a friend looking for childcare, a 3yr old boy. Well, I have one spot open and another one is open until next may when one of my DC moms will enroll her baby.

The thing is I really want to enroll a FT child because I have such limited spots available. And im a small.

I don't want to scare them off by telling them that PT spots aren't permanent....I've done that before and they decided not to enroll. How should I handle this? Calls for this age are few and far between these days.
so the spot is only open until may??
Oneluckymom 02:25 PM 09-28-2012
No I have two open spots for full time....one I can fill now and one will be filled in may.
daycare 02:46 PM 09-28-2012
oh I see what you are saying....is there any way that you can offer something like this

two part time spots..

3-days MOnday, Wednesday and Friday
2-Days Tuesday and Thursday

I used to hate PT, but lately this is all that I get calls for....Well that last two years or so...So this is what I do....

I have also told PT families because I have more than one, that they made need to switch days with another PT family to make them their opposites of each other or always have the option of being full time.

I was able to work out where I have one kid who is M_T only and then another who comes W_TH_F.... Together they take up a full time spot BUT the good part is that I make more money from them than I would a full time....My part time rates are higher than my Full time rates.

the rest of my part time kids come the other schedule listed above...
Oneluckymom 04:15 PM 09-28-2012
Thanks, yeah I guess that's what I'll have to do. Just work it out. This will be my first PT kid. I hate interviewing so my nerves are already building up.mhopefuy it will go well!!
daycare 04:25 PM 09-28-2012
Just be yourself and take controll from the start. You got this in the bag!

Good luck let me know how it goes!!
cheerfuldom 08:16 PM 09-28-2012
I work with part timers like "daycare" does.

Parents have to pay for the full day, regardless of hours used. I must have a consistent schedule in advance. Right now I have one PT on Mon/Tues and another on Wed/Thu/Fri and then a third that is here all five days of the week but only a half day for each day.

I am fine with all these scenarios because the parents have a regular consistent schedule. Its doable and the two PTimers equal a full timer anyway.
Oneluckymom 09:43 PM 09-28-2012
Seems like a nice family. Mom USED to do daycare and child does NOT receive vaccinations.
daycare 10:06 PM 09-28-2012
Hmmmm. Well I guess it could be worse.

If it makes you feel any better one of my moms works for licensing and is directly under my analyst. She has been a dream.

I have was worried she would bark about everything but its been the opposite.

As for no immunization. I don't know much about the whole thing as I have never came across that before.
Blackcat31 07:46 AM 09-29-2012
If I had the opening and was't receiving calls for FT, I would take the part timer.

When and if, a FT call/family came in, I would tell the part time family that if they want to move to FT, the space is theirs. If they declined, I would let them know that I was terming and taking the FT family.

I make sure that all my families know during the interview that this is MY business. I am always going to do what is best for my business as any profitable and good business would.

Getting a FT family could take a long time, PT family could choose to take the space and be FT when offered. You just never know what could happen so do what you need to do, just let the PT family know you will offer the space to them first should the above scenario happen and as long as everyone knows going in what could happen, I think will be fine.

I used to reserve two of my spaces for PT only offering spaces on a M,W,F or T/Th option only but as of late I have all spaces filled with M-F full time families.

However, if I were really limited on the number of spaces total I could have, I don't think I would bother with PT if I could help it. I would take them in until FT came along as I said above but other than that, I wouldn't do PT long term and pass on FT. That just doesn't help my budget at all.
Oneluckymom 05:22 PM 09-29-2012
WELL, I found out she was provider to 2 of my DCKs before she closed and they came to me. A little awkward. But I feel honored that my DCF recommended me to her.
Reply Up