Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fisher Price Rock and Play
Unregistered 02:00 PM 04-22-2013
I have a 7month old, 21 poound baby that has only slept in the Rock and Play since he was born. Parents only use that and swing for both naps and night time sleep. He refuses to lay in the crib, screaming every time and never settles.

I knew trying to transition him to the porta crib dc would be hard, but I need some advice. Any suggestions??
Blackcat31 02:13 PM 04-22-2013
I'd make the parents be the one to do the transitioning.

Have a two week trial period and insist the parents teach him to sleep in a PNP or crib without the aid of movement or swinging.

He needs to be able to put himself to sleep and not be rocked or moved into sleeping.

If the parents don't take on the bulk of this...you probably aren't going to have anything but a screaming baby in care and that is SUPER hard to deal with. Plus the other kids don't deserve to listen to that.

Parent need to understand that there is a responsibility in preparing their child for group care.

Above all though please do NOT allow the baby to sleep in anything but a PNP or crib.

Maybe you could educate the parents on the dangers of allowing their child to sleep in the swing or in anything but a PNP or crib. Sometimes that helps.
Cradle2crayons 06:44 PM 04-22-2013
My daughter was one of those for the first few months of life. She had severe reflux and colic and movement was the only thing that worked. When she was about four months old and had all that under control, we transitioned her to self soothing. Definitely educate the parents, they may have no idea where to start. Let them know you understand how hard it is to listen to that baby cry and kick up every time but to STICK TO IT... And in the end it will pay off... But yes, make them start the transition and, if they don't have a clue where to start, give Em some ideas. But definitely tell Em to not give up, that crying wont hurt them physically or psychologically, and tell them to start it on a Friday afternoon and communicate their results on Monday morning
youretooloud 08:19 PM 04-22-2013
I kept one kid in there for nine months. But, he is almost two years old, and just now weights 20 lbs. He was super small, had reflux, and developmental delays, so he was the size of a three month old at seven months, and about that developmentally.

I don't think it's safe for an average sized baby to still be in there at 7 months. It seems like they would outgrow it by about six months. Plus, I think there's some danger of them sitting up and falling forwards.

I would first scare the parents. Tell them it's not safe. See if they make the transition.

Is he going to be with you through the summer? Because if he has the summer off, i'd just let the parents handle it.
LK5kids 07:07 AM 04-23-2013
These are approved for sleeping, right? Not saying we should use them in our center, but I know parents who have newborns to about 4 mo. sleep in these and I thought they are advertised as approved for sleeping.

Has there been any problems with them?
wonderfullisa 07:26 AM 04-23-2013
My own 2.5 year old still loves to nap in hers. Is there a safety issue I'm not aware of with them?
Crazy In Mo 07:51 AM 04-23-2013
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
These are approved for sleeping, right? Not saying we should use them in our center, but I know parents who have newborns to about 4 mo. sleep in these and I thought they are advertised as approved for sleeping.

Has there been any problems with them?
They aren't in Missouri
youretooloud 08:07 AM 04-23-2013
Originally Posted by Lisa's Little Lambs:
My own 2.5 year old still loves to nap in hers. Is there a safety issue I'm not aware of with them?
How does she even fit in it? How does she get up in there without it tipping?

This one? I'm thinking this is the one we are talking about. Right? http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-N.../dp/B002M77N22

This one, the older kids can fit in. I think this might be a good transition seat for the OPs daycare baby. It's lower and bigger, yet still comfey. http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-F...rocker+toddler (I paid $30 for mine at target though, not $58)
Blackcat31 09:28 AM 04-23-2013
Originally Posted by Lisa's Little Lambs:
Most infant sleep regulations state that infants (under 12 months) should sleep ONLY in an approved crib and/or PNP with a flat, firm mattress.

Most licensed/regulated child cares are NOT allowed to let an infant sleep in anything else due to SIDS and Positional asphyxia

http://www.idph.state.ia.us/hcci/com...ositioning.pdf
http://www.nih.gov/news/health/jun2011/nichd-27.htm

Here are some other threads about infant sleep...GREAT threads with LOTS of info!!

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ional+asphyxia
Unregistered 10:08 AM 04-23-2013
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
How does she even fit in it? How does she get up in there without it tipping?

This one? I'm thinking this is the one we are talking about. Right? http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-N.../dp/B002M77N22

This one, the older kids can fit in. I think this might be a good transition seat for the OPs daycare baby. It's lower and bigger, yet still comfey. http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-F...rocker+toddler (I paid $30 for mine at target though, not $58)
Right. I have the one for infants. There is no way a 2 1/2 year old fit in that!
LK5kids 11:39 AM 04-23-2013
Originally Posted by Crazy In Mo:
They aren't in Missouri
For child care, right? They are not allowed in WI either- for child care.

If this is what I am familiar with...they are sold for sleep, kind of like a modern bassinet.
LK5kids 11:46 AM 04-23-2013
Also, I am wondering why there isn't a risk for infants when they fall asleep in their car seat in the car.

I have been a certified car tech for 14 yrs. We angle the seat ( if the foot level doesn't do the job to get an angle of not more than 45 degrees) so baby's head does not fall forward. Too far back is also dangerous ( different reason ).

The FP rock and play is at the same angle as the car seats we install.

Just a thought I had awhile ago....not promoting the use of the r&p.

Just read the Iowa link. It was very interesting! When I have seen infants in the FP rocker/sleeper their head is back, and not resting on their chest. Have kids died in these? Scary stuff!
Blackcat31 11:52 AM 04-23-2013
Also, I am wondering why there isn't a risk for infants when they fall asleep in their car seat in the car.

I have been a certified car tech for 14 yrs. We angle the seat ( if the foot level doesn't do the job to get an angle of not more than 45 degrees) so baby's head does not fall forward. Too far back is also dangerous ( different reason ).

We got an e-mail from our licensor a while back stating that when an infant does fall asleep while in the car, it is recommended to stop frequently and rouse them so they don't have the positional asphyxia occur.

Also I think that statistically positional asphyxia occurs more often in other equipment more so than a car seat... I can't recall completely though.
LK5kids 12:10 PM 04-23-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
We got an e-mail from our licensor a while back stating that when an infant does fall asleep while in the car, it is recommended to stop frequently and rouse them so they don't have the positional asphyxia occur.

Also I think that statistically positional asphyxia occurs more often in other equipment more so than a car seat... I can't recall completely though.
Possibly too....kids are not usually in sleeping in a vehicle for 8-10 hrs, but I suppose it's possible they could be.
nannyde 12:42 PM 04-23-2013

Just read the Iowa link. It was very interesting! When I have seen infants in the FP rocker/sleeper their head is back, and not resting on their chest. Have kids died in these? Scary stuff!
While driving in a car there are different bumps... stop... starts.... different speeds.... different terrains etc.

You don't see positional asphyxia in car seats because the ever changeing positioning.

With seats and swings they have one movement or are completely still. It doesn't awaken the baby... it doesn't stimulate breating.
LK5kids 02:19 PM 04-23-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
While driving in a car there are different bumps... stop... starts.... different speeds.... different terrains etc.

You don't see positional asphyxia in car seats because the ever changeing positioning.

With seats and swings they have one movement or are completely still. It doesn't awaken the baby... it doesn't stimulate breating.
That makes tons of sense! Thanks Nan!
Tags:fisher price, rock and play sleeper, transitioning
Reply Up