Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Screening Childrens Books
Cat Herder 12:07 PM 09-17-2014
How do you screen children's books for anti-bias?

What recent books have you passed on?
Unregistered 12:32 PM 09-17-2014
I don't screen them per say but I'm quick to change words as needed.I don't use the word hate,stupid,dumb,fat,ugly,liar, or any words that I don't want them to repeat. There are some that I refuse to read because I don't care for the character's attitude.Llhama drama is one of them and I don't care for Fancy Nancy or Calouie.No attitudes! lol
midaycare 12:35 PM 09-17-2014
I don't screen. If the kids are interested, they can read them. I have 1000+ books. No time to screen!

I constantly change the words though. In any book to make it more understandable.
Blackcat31 12:36 PM 09-17-2014
How do you screen children's books for anti-bias?

I usually read the books first to see if any of them contain gender or racial biases. I also look for terms that may not be politically correct.

Seems most the books that are newer, pass but of course books from my own childhood contain a boatload of passages, words and topics that may not be consider appropriate in today's inclusive classrooms.

What recent books have you passed on?

I cant think of any off hand as most my books are purchased via Scholastic and I feel they are pretty good about offering books that are not biased in anyway towards and one gender or race etc....

I try to find books that encompass "new" ideals and thoughts.

Books on topics such as males as the primary caregiver or non-traditional family units or books featuring disabled children and children of all races, nationalities and cultures.

Looking over my books, I see a pretty good portion of them have animals as the main character and not a lot of them feature actual humans....LOL!
DaveA 04:17 AM 09-18-2014
I don't screen per se, but I generally look over books before reading them. Right now books that interest my group are pretty basic, so not much of a concern. I have a Rubbermaid container of books from my childhood, many of which were holdovers from older siblings. Without even looking I know several would cause my ECE professors to go in to convulsions.
Tags:book screening, book suggestions, diversity, diversity representation, stereotypes
Reply Up