Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infants and Starting Solids
Jack Sprat 12:21 PM 12-11-2014
DCB is 7 months old. He hasn't started eating solids here at daycare. At home I think its willy nilly. Basically when its convenient for dcm. I am on a food program and it states that if the infant isn't eating at least two "meals" at 8 months of age I can not claim him. I have talked with the food program director and she said she would draft a letter to mom if need be. When I asked dcm when she was going to allow him to start solids here she never gave an answer. Just stated she wasn't ready for that. The dcb is eating anywhere from 24-32 oz of breast milk during his 7.5-8hrs here. He sits at the table with us at all meals and watches and tries to grab the food.

I guess this was more of a vent then a question. Sorry!
Unregistered 12:25 PM 12-11-2014
I think requiring solids for an exclusively breast fed baby is silly, just my opinion.
Jack Sprat 12:29 PM 12-11-2014
I should have added that he isn't exclusively breastfed. He comes with one bottle of formula. I don't know what he has at home. I would assume formula as dcm said my frozen supply was the last she had.
Indoorvoice 12:44 PM 12-11-2014
I know it's frustrating to not be able to claim, but I don't personally rush the start of solids. Studies are starting to find that their digestive systems really aren't ready until at least 6 months, but closer to 8 months. I think it will be better for you to wait until mom has established it well at home so he gets lots of practice!
Unregistered 03:32 PM 12-11-2014
Here our food program says that by 8-11 months a child must be given solids (unless developmentally unable to eat solids per a doctor) along with breastmilk/formula and on the child's 1st birthday they need to be on the regular child menu. Dcg already had a couple of teeth by 6/7 months, I had dcm ask at her 8/9 month check up if dcg was able to eat solids because formula was no longer satisfying her. Added in baby food to her meals and was more satisfied. Informed dcm that on first birthday will be switched to regular menu so at 10/11 months please start adding more textures/regular food to her meals. Dcg at this point had several of her upper/bottom/back teeth and could obviously chew/eat more textures/foods. Parents continued to feed only milk in a bottle and baby food, while I was giving her regular food and milk in a sippy cup, and practice using utensils at daycare. Dcg who is now 16 months is still "learning" to chew regular food, feed herself, and takes a long time to eat because at home they still feed her baby food because it is more convenient, faster, and less mess.

It is frustrating when parents can't get with the program and be consistent and expect us to do all the work to get their child to where they need to be developmentally.
Controlled Chaos 09:32 AM 12-12-2014
I would just not claim them then, that money is to pay for food, if a child is not costing me anything to feed I would not claim them. Maybe I am wrong on how the program works? At a year old I would conference with a parent but not before.
Play Care 09:48 AM 12-12-2014
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I would just not claim them then, that money is to pay for food, if a child is not costing me anything to feed I would not claim them. Maybe I am wrong on how the program works? At a year old I would conference with a parent but not before.
You are also reimbursed for the TIME it takes to feed a bottle fed child.

I have a couple of issues with the willy nilly feeding. One, how will she know if the child has a reaction to certain foods if she isn't trying one for a few days and watching? How will YOU know?! Also, IME, once babies get used to having FOOD, they want FOOD. My 7 month old dcb gets pureed veggies at meals (after he's finished his EBM) One day mom forgot to send some in and it got UGLY

But I'm not one who buys into the "food before one is just for fun" theory as I've had too many BIG, HUNGRY babies here to believe it. I also think there is something to the newer theories that severe food allergies could be related to delayed feeding/limited exposure.
melilley 09:51 AM 12-12-2014
You just have to offer the food. You could always portion out the minimum requirement for his age (which isn't very much) and offer and claim.
I had a dcg who was 11 months and totally off of baby cereal. I was told to just offer the minimum amount, that way I could still claim it.

I understand the fp is here to help make sure that children are receiving nutritionally balanced meals, but I don't agree with the infant solid requirements at all. Some children are ready for solids, some not. I agree with Altandra, and technically, babies can live off of breastmilk or formula exclusively until they are 1.
Jack Sprat 12:00 PM 12-12-2014
I won't give him cereal since I have no idea what she has been using. Today is his first day on formula alone. So far he has done great. She does change his formula a lot. She wants to use all her samples before committing to a certain kind. Yes, I told her my concerns about the changing of the formula. That fell on deaf ears.

Personally, I don't think she should give him solids whenever she feels like it. I think it needs to be every night or not at all. I do believe he is ready but, like I said I won't give him a thing until I know she has served it at home first.
Tags:eating - solids, eating issues, transitioning
Reply Up