Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Contract/prices upset family
Unregistered 05:41 AM 09-18-2009
I am a newly registered family daycare provider and just made up my contract and new prices for before/after school care. I had this one family already that has 2 school age children and I bumped their weekly price from $75/week to $90/week (remember it's for 2 kids) and asked for an additional $12.50/child on days that they had off from school where I would have them all day long. So basically when I have them all day it's $21.50/child for a 9-10 hour day which I'm providing meals and snacks.

Well they told me it took them off gaurd that they would pay $43 in one day BUT that's for 2 kids....and not for nothing but these children are EXTREEMLY difficult..I give my all to them....I don't charge them any more than my other 2 school children, so I'm not discriminating with difficult children but they should be the LAST parents to complain about prices....the kids were threatened at their other daycare that they would have to leave because of behavior.

So why do I feel so stressed? I feel I'm worth every penny to them and they feel I'm asking for too much?

Being new to this, do you think I'm asking for too much? I know every area has different rates, but I feel that I'm not going to work for nothing.
hcmom 09:51 AM 09-18-2009
Absolutely not!

You are doing them a service by caring for their children.

If they don't want to pay, then drop them. 90.00 per week in not a lot of money for 2 kids.

Also, I have my parents pay upfront-in the beginning of the month.

Do not back down. They will see that if their kids go anywhere else they will be paying that much or more.

Good luck.
ConcernedMotherof2 10:04 AM 09-18-2009
I think what you're asking is fair. For before/after school care for my two children, I pay 95/week. Should they have an inservice day and be at daycare all day, it's an *additional* $20/child per day. That's $40/day for me, on top of the weekly payment and I do think it's worth every penny. Difficult to come up with at times, but worth it.
Unregistered 10:12 AM 09-18-2009
There are a few things that you can do:

1. Break down for them what it comes out to hourly. I am sure they have not even thought about the fact that they are not even paying you minimum wage.

2. Send out a letter to all parents with this: The success of my business depends upon the prompt payment of tuition/fees in order to take care of day-to-day expenses that are encountered. Tuition and fees are computed with the following factors in mind:

Food, health supplies, craft/activity/curriculum supplies, toys, play equipment and books provided for the children

Outside activities

Business taxes

Provider/s Social Security, FICA, and self-employment taxes

Provider's continuing education

Energy costs and use of provider's home and equipment

Additional time spent, each day, on record keeping, parent-provider communication, clean up from day care, and shopping trips for food and supplies.

*Although child care tuition and fees may seem high, please keep in mind the amount that is returned directly to your child by way of food, supplies, employees, benefits from provider education, etc. The providers wage is the amount that remains after all of the above expenses have been paid.

3. Invite them to find someone else. ;-)
[email protected] 10:45 AM 09-18-2009
thank you. =-) for your post. Its parents like you who see us as valuable. Thanks for that.
jen 10:48 AM 09-18-2009
I charge $75 a week from first grade on...except in summer, then it is $135.
Unregistered 04:28 PM 09-19-2009
Thank you all for your replys..I feel better about sticking to my guns. I'm working my tail off and stressing with the two kids behavior so no way am I backing down.

I gave them my contract and price sheet that explained EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING on the extra costs that I encounter such as providing them elect., craft supplies, food, heat, extra dishwasher soap, extra laundry for cleaning messes, paper towels, toilet paper, toothpaste, taxes that I will have to pay. And they read all that and still complained.

This is the last faimly that should have complained given their kids behavior..and the way I see it, if they can afford 2 very nice vehicles and give their children tons of name brand clothes for school, and have all kinds of pricey electronics, they shouldn't be complaining of the few extra dollars/week... I think they are just being a bit ignorant

Thank you ladies!!
Unregistered 10:45 AM 09-20-2009
Amen! I they dont like the new prices and contract tell them to go someplace else, did you give them a time frame of when the new contract has to be signed? I'd tell em that if yo dont have it by whatever date you say that they will need to provide you with your termination notice with fees payable at that time..
Unregistered 11:31 AM 09-20-2009
Good for you! :-) Hang in there! Let us know how it continues to go. And if they are bothering you that much, start advertising and give them notice. I think often times we feel trapped with these types of families when in reality it's our business and we can choose our clients. You don't have to keep them on as clients if you don't want to.
Unregistered 07:12 PM 09-20-2009
The family already signed the contract...I think they know they have to pay it or they are going to find a heck of a time finding a daycare that will put up with their children's behavior...it gets bad at times...with the girls Bipolar she cries loud and if she doesn't get her own way it gets ugly at times. And the boy gets verbally aggressive when he gets upset...it's not a good combination and believe me I am a lady of great patience but even with my patience of steel....they are TOUGH!!

So they signed the contract but still continued to question it and asked me to understand the impact of raising the weekly rate PLUS adding extra when they are off from school. (Well...understand the impact their children bring upon my stress, my family, and the other daycare children and see if they find room to complain.) I didn't say that... but I'm thinking it. I just politely broke down the figures and understand in reality how little per hour it is MINUS food and other tid bits of the day (you know the toilet paper, elect., taxes, ect.). My husband and I became friends with these parents through my daughter's softball team over the past 2 years and when they found out I was doing daycare this year they made the transition over to me...So I think I'm losing their friendship and things are getting more business like but hey..I can't let that stop me from what I believe is fair.

I have been on the other side as a paying parent to a daycare provider and I was so appreciative of my provider and would never complain as I felt she was worth every penny...if my children EVER acted in the manor that the 2 I have act at my house, I would be forking over WHATEVER the provider asked for and fell guilty that my children are acting that way..but they don't see it that way apparently.

Thank you for letting me vent..I love the children and the families I have now..minus the headache of this family with the difficult kids.
Reply Up