Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What do you do?
rmc20021 05:23 AM 04-17-2013
What kinds of things do you do with your SA kids before or after school? I have 3 right now, (who when I can fill my full time spots I will no longer be accepting SA kids), but I am totally geared towards toddlers/ preschoolers. I have nothing really to occupy the SA kids.

They (2 newer boys) come here and just stand with their hands in their pockets and I have a hard time getting them engaged into anything.

What kinds of activities or whatever, does others do to entertain the SA kids?
daycarediva 05:40 AM 04-17-2013
In the morning I do nothing, after school they are to come in, do homework, read for 15 minutes and then have snack. That usually lasts them an hour, if the weather is nice, they can go outside afterwards. If it isn't nice, they are allowed free access to the game cupboard, lego table and art closet.

My dcb is 6 and he can literally entertain the littles for HOURS by building these giant cities from megablocks/community garages/community houses/barns, train tracks as 'roads', and that is what he usually chooses to do. As far as SA kids go, I wish I could clone him.
KDC 08:28 AM 04-17-2013
Books (good will or garage sales), my SA kids love card or board games like apples to apples, scrabble jr. UNO. Plain paper with crayons, markers and pencils. Maybe assign them a 'buddy' they can watch over and help-- they can do story time or calendar time for the little ones while your making breakfast? These are some of the things I have for them. They love how to draw books too...
preschoolteacher 08:48 AM 04-17-2013
Are the boys shy? Maybe they don't know what they can do or they don't feel at home yet. Maybe they are used to having their activities always scheduled by adults and can't figure out free time! I'd have a few options ready for them, like a board game, books, Legos.
SA boys, in my experience, love jokes and magic tricks and trivia. Brain teasers.

Two SA brothers that I know spend hours playing with a small table-top Foosball table. What about a mini basketball hoop that you could attach to the back of a door--they could shoot wadded up paper "basketballs."

Paper airplane book with paper so they can make their own. Teach them how to make paper "footballs" (those triangle things that kids flick around in elementary school).

Just some ideas!
AfterSchoolMom 08:59 AM 04-17-2013
They get off the bus, have snack, then play outside for a little while if it's nice. Then we do homework. If they're still here after homework time, they can read, have free art time, play with legos, board games, etc. We also have a small air hockey table. I used to do a guided art project on Fridays, but there was not enough enjoyment for the hassle involved.

You'd be surprised, though, how much older kids like things like moon sand, play doh, and other little kid activities.

Anyone who says "I'm bored", has to pick something out of the "I'm bored" jar. It's usually something involving reading, writing, or cleaning up/wiping down the toys. I don't hear it often.
craftymissbeth 09:12 AM 04-17-2013
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
They get off the bus, have snack, then play outside for a little while if it's nice. Then we do homework. If they're still here after homework time, they can read, have free art time, play with legos, board games, etc. We also have a small air hockey table. I used to do a guided art project on Fridays, but there was not enough enjoyment for the hassle involved.

You'd be surprised, though, how much older kids like things like moon sand, play doh, and other little kid activities.

Anyone who says "I'm bored", has to pick something out of the "I'm bored" jar. It's usually something involving reading, writing, or cleaning up/wiping down the toys. I don't hear it often.
Oooh, I love the idea of a bored jar!
harperluu 09:14 AM 04-17-2013
I have a stash of comic books & graphic novels (age appropriate), complex maze books, oragami kits/paper, puzzle books, sudoku, word find, paper dolls, sticker books, etc., that the school age kids have free access to. In the morning there really isn't time to do anything, but they can get their 20 min. of reading in with either a book they bring from home or any number of elem. age books I pick up from the library. I also have a bin of travel games, which they like since the games are usually shorter than an average board game. I also have a table just up the stairs with a 1000 piece puzzle that they like to work on. Outside time is always a good way to go. School agers also like to work with playdoh when given the chance, since many of them don't get to use it at home anymore. They usually make things related to Minecraft. LOL
sharlan 09:30 AM 04-17-2013
I've 2 (10) that I've yet to learn how to entertain after 1 1/2 yrs. Neither one can entertain himself for more than 5 mins.

Before school, cartoons, or if it's above 65*, they can go out back for a few minutes. One boy is here for 30 mins and the other one I wake up @ 8 and they leave for school @ 8:25. He has enough time to get dressed, eat his breakfast, and brush his teeth.

Afterschool, is another story, I only have the one boy. I have bins of Legos, K'nex, books, 3 tables set up with various craft supplies (paper, markers, crayons, glue, tape, paint, stickers, scissors, glitter, etc) - none of which he chooses to play with. The younger kids won't play games with him because A. he cheats, B. he gets mad and stomps off if he's not winning.

Depending on what's going on, I'll go out front so he can ride his bike. But if he can't ride it in the street, he doesn't want to. (We live on a cul-de-sac.)

He rotates through things about every 5 mins - watching cartoons, playing his game boy, reading, going out back to swing, or finding something to tattle on the littles about. He'll play play doh or moon dough for about 5 mins before getting bored. He is bored 90% of the time he is here. I no longer worry about it, because it doesn't matter what I do, he's bored.
Reply Up