Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Babysitter Termed Me Because I Refused To Pay Her To Get Ready For A Friday Night
nannyde 05:00 PM 08-01-2011
Originally Posted by MG&Lsmom:
You find fault with home daycare licensing because they allow a provider to use the bathroom during daycare hours? Or to walk into an adjacent room to discard a diaper? Or help another child in the bathroom? It's your prerogative to choose what's best for your child, however, to bash ALL home based providers because they need bathroom breaks in the 10-12 hours children are present, or nap some children in another room is ridiculous. In the center I worked in 18 years ago, we were allowed to send fully potty trained children to the restroom by themselves. It was attached to the room, but they were out of sight. And outside there were areas we could not see directly, like inside the playhouses. Would you expect at a center that someone sit inside the playhouse to be always in the sight of your child? How about leading a line of toddlers out the door? My back would be turned at times. Another no-no. And this should all be spelled out in the contract? How many pages would you be willing to read, initial, and comply with? Expectations of some parents are just too high sometimes.
I've been thinking about this thread today and the notion that when kids are in child care that they need direct visual supervision at all times. This is now a common expectation.

But... when you read "new mommy" advice you hear the same thing year after year...... SLEEP when the baby sleeps. Get rest. Rest up when the baby rests or you won't be able to manage the baby. You'll get too tired with your one baby.

Why is it that when that baby is in parental care that society understands that the mommy needs a break but when a couple of dollars an hour pass hands all of a sudden that SAME child needs to have an adult visually seeing them at all times?

If babies, toddlers, and preschoolers need an adult to be in the same room with them and visually see them every single second then they need that EVERYWHERE they go and at ALL times.

I do believe that children need a higher level of supervision in group care than in parental care. The numbers of children alone dictate that there is a higher probability that something preventable could happen........ BUT

if children are safely confined and the adult is awake and can HEAR them and do visual checks frequently.... then imho that is acceptable supervision in group care.

The only age group I believe really DOES need visual supervision at all times is school aged children.

I also think we get compared to centers a lot in these convo's but the bottom line truth is is that centers have a VERY VERY high turnover in staff for a reason. One of the reasons is that they don't get proper breaks away from the kids and the stimulation of having a large group of age mates in a single room for multiple hours a day is EXHAUSTING and overloading to most workers. The ones who are with them every second and watch them visually every second are the ones who quit and go do something else after a few months.

We aren't robots. We are humans. We need breaks. We need to pace ourselves. We are dealing with human babies and there is ALWAYS a risk that some children will get harmed or die when they are with us. We can do everything in our power to decrease that to as low of a level as possible but when that expectation becomes something that even their parents with one, two kids can't ever replicate then it begs the question if it is reasonable and doable.

Money doesn't dictate a child's needs. The number of children under one adults care DOES dictate some of the childs real needs. There has to be some common sense and some fairness in the expectations.
Country Kids 07:30 PM 08-01-2011
Originally Posted by Vesta:
I can't post a link but this thread reminds me of the new Geico commercial about daycare being too expensive so the center is fully staffed by robots.
Watch for it, it's cracks me up every time I see it.
I guess that is what some parents would prefer.....
I'm going to really watch this next time. I've seen it but not paid attention so could never figure out what they were talking about!
MyAngels 08:11 PM 08-01-2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_Qc_nmSUGQ

The Geico commercial...
PitterPatter 08:21 PM 08-01-2011
Originally Posted by MG&Lsmom:
You find fault with home daycare licensing because they allow a provider to use the bathroom during daycare hours? Or to walk into an adjacent room to discard a diaper? Or help another child in the bathroom? It's your prerogative to choose what's best for your child, however, to bash ALL home based providers because they need bathroom breaks in the 10-12 hours children are present, or nap some children in another room is ridiculous. In the center I worked in 18 years ago, we were allowed to send fully potty trained children to the restroom by themselves. It was attached to the room, but they were out of sight. And outside there were areas we could not see directly, like inside the playhouses. Would you expect at a center that someone sit inside the playhouse to be always in the sight of your child? How about leading a line of toddlers out the door? My back would be turned at times. Another no-no. And this should all be spelled out in the contract? How many pages would you be willing to read, initial, and comply with? Expectations of some parents are just too high sometimes.
I can see the kids everywhere here except when using the bathroom so I will address that. If we couldn't use the bathroom during daycare hours our blatters would burst! Either that or we would be handing the children over at the end of the day with yellow streaks running down our legs. I do try to hold it as long as possible but I admit sometimes I can't even hold it until nap time. When we make potty breaks I too go. I will sit the kids in the hall outside the door and hurry as I listen but for someone to expect us not to eliminate in any way for 10-11 hrs is just insane. I had a DCM that wanted me to take her preschooler son to the bathroom with me when I went!! I guess I will be putting a few extra notices in my handbook. "provider is not willing to piss herself for your child, she will take potty breaks of her own AND alone!" I also refuse to go assist school aged children. I will wait outside the door but that's it for me! JMHO
youretooloud 08:29 PM 08-01-2011
I still don't believe this post is real..... BUT..

For some people a center is best. However, the child will go through many, many teachers between infant-kindergarten. They will have three or more teachers each day, then teacher turnover is very high, plus the floaters so the main teacher can take a break during the day.

WE keep the kids from birth through kindergarten or even later. So, the kids can become attached to us. WE remember our kids 30 years later, and even become facebook friends with them. I can still remember what Thomas Poole's favorite food was in 1985. I remember that Stephanie Tucker was a biter when she was 18 months old. I still remember Kyle Oniell's birthday is May 19th, and he's 20 years old now.

I've worked in centers, and I have pictures from those years, and the only kids who's names I remember are the kids we couldn't stand. I think they were all named Nicky.... it's odd how all the bad kids were named Nicky.
SilverSabre25 08:43 PM 08-01-2011
Nanny...for a change I actually agree wholeheartedly with every single thing you said in your last post on this thread! Bravo! Michael, we need an applause smiley or a like button or something!

As for this whole thread, I doubt it's real because the OP used the phrase "termed" which to me sounds like a poster from here, or someone who's been reading our threads for awhile. I bet you anything it's more of an "industry" term than something that a "regular" daycare parent would be saying. Kicked out, fired...stuff like that is what I would expect to see. Not the word "termed".
sharlan 11:10 PM 08-01-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Nanny...for a change I actually agree wholeheartedly with every single thing you said in your last post on this thread! Bravo! Michael, we need an applause smiley or a like button or something!

As for this whole thread, I doubt it's real because the OP used the phrase "termed" which to me sounds like a poster from here, or someone who's been reading our threads for awhile. I bet you anything it's more of an "industry" term than something that a "regular" daycare parent would be saying. Kicked out, fired...stuff like that is what I would expect to see. Not the word "termed".
I agree with you.

It also amazes me how many old, old threads are brought up by "unregistered" people. Maybe someone from here is bored and needs to bring up old drama to make them happy.
erinalexmom 03:22 AM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:

I've worked in centers, and I have pictures from those years, and the only kids who's names I remember are the kids we couldn't stand. I think they were all named Nicky.... it's odd how all the bad kids were named Nicky.
LOL when I worked at a center my worst kid was Nicky! and his mom was the worst parent too!! whats funny is my sons name is Alex and every Alex I know is a wild child (including mine) its funny how they tend to go with thier name.
Tags:parents - ask too much, read your contract, unreasonable parental expectations
1 2
Reply Up