Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Looking to the Future
fctjc1979 06:49 AM 06-09-2010
I'm trying to make some decisions about what I'm going to do once my baby is born in December. Right at the moment, I only have three girls that I watch on Wednesdays with an occasional extra day thrown in there when their dad's business picks up. I'm not planning on adding any more while pregnant.

I had two other children that I watched wednesday through friday but I had to let them go because the parents were just uncooperative. My husband works second shift, so his time off was in the mornings. With so many kids required to be in car seats, we were stuck at the house and unable to enjoy my husband's time off.

I'm thinking that a month or two after the baby is born, I'll probably advertise for before and after school care. My 10 year old daughter will love having kids closer to her own age around everyday since she is homeschooled. The problem is that I would really rather watch younger kids but I don't know how to get around feeling trapped at my house. My car is a little cavalier that just won't accomidate a bunch of car seats and we don't have the money in the budget for a van or buying car seats.

I have a feeling I'm way over thinking this but I'm not really sure what the answer is. Any suggestions would be welcome.
AfterSchoolMom 07:09 AM 06-09-2010
As someone who does before and after school care, I have one bit of advice for you - I don't know when your baby is due, but I've found that there is virtually zero chance of getting schoolers unless you advertise starting in July or August, and then again in December right before or during winter break. Families usually make their after school arrangements at these times, and then tend to stick with them. I'm not saying that there's never someone looking, but I know that I usually have a flurry of requests twice a year at those times, and then not again all year.

I'd also advise you to limit how many you take on at first - older kids are fun and pretty self sufficient, but they're louder and bigger, and they eat more. I have a group of 8 and it's WAY too many. I'm planning on only taking two or three for next year.

Whatever you decide, I wish you luck! Congrats on your new addition!
originalkat 07:19 AM 06-09-2010
My husband is off several days during the week as well. It is kind of hard getting used to the idea that we have to be stuck at home instead of out and about. But unfortunately that is just one of the prices we have to pay in this career field.

School age care (if there is a market for it in your area) could be a great option. It isnt too good in my area because all of the schools have very affordable latchkey programs and parents use them instead of private providers. So you might want to check into that if you havent already.
boysx5 08:03 AM 06-09-2010
yes it took me awhile to realize that this is a job just like if we worked at an office and are not able to leave during the day I get mad if friends are going to lunch and I can't go or if my husband is off and we can't do something but its my job and I'm making money so we try to plan special things when we are both off and it gives me something to look forward to and gets we through the rough days
fctjc1979 07:17 PM 06-09-2010
Thanks for all the replies. There was a lot of stuff that I hadn't thought about before. I may just see if I can advertise for second shift. That way, the kids are here when my husband is not and it doesn't limit it to school-agers.
Tags:advertise
Reply Up