Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help With Play Room Layout
Momof2Boys 11:44 AM 01-28-2011
We just moved into our new house, and I now only have a bedroom to designate to the play room (instead of half a basement!). I need help with where to put things and maybe things to help improve it! We just moved in this week, so of course I still need to decorate it, and possibly even paint the walls. ANY ideas are much appreciated! Right now, I am using the closet to store extra toys that I exchange out with other toys.

The first two pictures are taken from the door way, and the last picture is taken from in front of the colored toy organizer.

DCMomOf3 11:58 AM 01-28-2011
I love the shelving!

I would maybe take out the rocking horse, unless it's a favorite. I am afraid at the closer quarters someone my get a hand or foot squished.
How about moving the kitchen pieces to between the door and the closet.
I personally like to have an open entrance, so I would want to move the deeper big toy stations away from the door way. Do you still have things in boxes? I would try to get as much little things in containers and in those awesome shelves off the floor to make it a little less cluttered since you have a smaller space to work with.
Momof2Boys 12:16 PM 01-28-2011
Thank you for the ideas! The horse is a favorite of my one year old's, so I could just move it to his room I don't have anything else in boxes, this is it, thankfully. I have those clear plastic containers on top of the white bookshelf that I will be using to organize the toys (mainly Little People stuff) and put them up above on the shelves. Should I put the Little People stuff into categories in the containers (farm, house, garage, etc), or should I just throw them all together?

Keep the ideas coming!!

Oh, I also have a glider rocker with ottoman that I would like to try to fit into the play room. Is that a bad idea? I can just picture my 3 year olds using it as a climbing structure...
DCMomOf3 12:19 PM 01-28-2011
Originally Posted by Momof2Boys:
Thank you for the ideas! The horse is a favorite of my one year old's, so I could just move it to his room I don't have anything else in boxes, this is it, thankfully. I have those clear plastic containers on top of the white bookshelf that I will be using to organize the toys (mainly Little People stuff) and put them up above on the shelves. Should I put the Little People stuff into categories in the containers (farm, house, garage, etc), or should I just throw them all together?

Keep the ideas coming!!

Oh, I also have a glider rocker with ottoman that I would like to try to fit into the play room. Is that a bad idea? I can just picture my 3 year olds using it as a climbing structure...
I don't separate my little people but wish I did, although it's funny seeing a zebra on the toilet in the house.

You might be able to put your chair in front of the closet . It WILL be a climbing battle, but I need my chair to sit down on. (The ottoman may be too much though)
AnythingsPossible 12:25 PM 01-28-2011
Could you get rid of the multi colored toy shelf on the ground and store the storage buckets up on the higher shelves? It just seems kind of cramped, and doesn't appear to have alot of room for the kids to play. Maybe store some of the larger play pieces and switch them out like you are doing with the toys in the closet. I think I would try to make a little bit more floor space if possible. I used to separate out my little people into sets, but they all ended up getting mixed up anyway, so if it were me, I would probably just divide them up and not worry about sets with sets. How many kids do you watch? I'm looking at from my perspective of 6 to 10 kids, so if you have a smaller group, the space may not be an issue.
Abigail 04:03 PM 01-28-2011
I am wondering how many children you have also. This seems like a ten by ten foot room so it just seems small. Good thing kids are small, right?! I use to think my elementary classrooms were HUGE, but when I went back to visit a few years later I thought it was tiny.

1. I would remove the colored bins and the shelf they sit on. You have a nice white shelf in the corner that you can stack things on at their level to reach. Having the colored shelf with bins is just too much color at once.

2. I would remove the "toy box" or at least it looks like a plastic toy box that runs along the wall to the left when you walk into the room. This would give you a lot more floor space. Maybe you can store this outside the room in the hallway. Whatever is in it is probably things you can organize and store on the shelf or rotate if it is a lot of dolls or stuffed animals or cars or something.

3. I would move the four foam mats along the wall, still connected how they are, but move it to where the toy box is currently located so you see it first thing walking into the room, but it's far enough back to where you will not trip on it or have the door get caught on it. This should be the "infant area" where you can put the favorite rocking horse on it and keep other infant-favorite toys nearby.

4. I would move the table with two chairs into the center of the room where the mats are currently at, maybe keep it about 3 feet from the wall with shelves in the middle still, so the kids can walk all the way around it and bring toys to the table to play on. I wouldn't store anything on the table though. You should change the chairs to face the opposite sides to make the room seem less rectangular....one chair facing the window and vs. versa.

5. I think you should be a chair into the room, but not the ottoman. I would put that in one of the far corners with caution to make sure someone doesn't climb on it. I might put it in front of the closet corner if you don't access the closet on a daily basis. I would also put a basket of books near the chair. I would put down a small rug in front of the chair for circle time and reading time.

6. I would also move that white shelf to be under the window or else all that catches my eyes are the endless shelves on the one wall. Maybe you can hang up short curtain along the top few shelves or even just standard curtains on the sides to lessen to look of all the shelves.

Is this room just the playroom or the only room you have?
Tags:layout, playroom, playroom layout
Reply Up