Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Green Oozing Snot....Ugh Questions!
daycare 11:05 AM 10-26-2011
So I have a DCG that has been sick with a slight cold since last week. I made it very clear to the parents that children may attend care as long as the child can normally participate and have clear runny noses.

Yesterday the child could hardly brethe, tons of ccoughing and clear runny nose. I let her stay as she was my only child yesterday.

She was here about 9 hours and slept almost 6 of the hours. I put the humidifier on for her and asked paretns to do the same.

Well today she is here with super thick green snot, so bad that I cant keep up with the wipe wipe wipe... I do have other kids here today, plus my own. She is acting normal, but whats with the green snot.

I tried to look up why green snot should be excluded from DC, but found nothing. The only reason that it is in my policy is because it was on the list of exclusions that I saw from another DC PHB.

I know that usually when snot has turned green it means that there is an infection? Am i correct on this? Would you send this child home?

Thanks in advance for your help..

lol you would think after all my years I would already know how to handel this, but I really don't have kids coming sick to care very often..
sharlan 11:09 AM 10-26-2011
I would call the parents and request the child be taken to the dr. It sounds like things have turned into a sinus infection that should be treated.
Blackcat31 11:10 AM 10-26-2011
I do not diagnose based on the color of snot.... because I have heard conflicting stories about whether it is an infection or not. Either way, I choose to exclude children from care when they become 'more work than normal' to care for. Does that make sense?

I have one little guy who is so full of fluid from snot, teething and goodness knows what else that I excluded until he could be "contained" better rather than allow all his yucky stuff get semeared around the house. His brother had the same cold but was capable of using a tissue, telling me when he needed one and not getting stuff everywhere.

Different kids, different ways of dealing. I don't know if it is fair or not but thats how I handled it.....
MarinaVanessa 11:12 AM 10-26-2011
Have you checked her temperature? Kepp an eye on that and if she gets a fever over 100 degrees send her home. To tell you the truth I would send her home with the pretense that her nose keeps running non-stop and it's NOT clear. Tell her parents that you are unable to keep her nose clean long enough to keep her from getting snot on the toys. That's not clean.

DCG will probably touch her snot and get it on your toys and furnture. It can mean that there is an infection but sometimes it's just a sinus infection. It's hard to tell but because of the fact that you don't know what the child has I would send her home.

I for one am one of those that sends kids home if they have any kind of colored discharge from their eyes, nose or ears. I just don't know what it is and I personally have a well-child daycare and prefer to be safe than sorry. Ugh, parent's always appreciate that I do this until it's their child that gets the runny nose.
daycare 11:16 AM 10-26-2011
I checked for fever, does not have one..

So it looks like she needs to go home... It's funny how I am about snot..

i can take poop, vomit, just about anything...BUT SNOT eeewwwww.. I almost puke every time I wipe her nose...lol
JennyBear 11:37 AM 10-26-2011
Too Funny!! Snot and massive amounts of drool get me....YUCK!!

2ndFamilyDC 11:45 AM 10-26-2011
Originally Posted by JennyBear:
Too Funny!! Snot and massive amounts of drool get me....YUCK!!

Same here, and some days I feel like a human snot rag, when the little little ones fight me when I try to wipe their nose and they end up wiping it on me, ewwwwwwww.
daycare 11:51 AM 10-26-2011
Originally Posted by 2ndFamilyDC:
Same here, and some days I feel like a human snot rag, when the little little ones fight me when I try to wipe their nose and they end up wiping it on me, ewwwwwwww.
lol this morning my husband got a big smack of green snot all over his uniform. I was so grossed out..

He gave her a hug before leaving for his shift and she did the rub of the nose on the shoulder.....Lucky for me my husband said, I get worse on me all day at work....lol
sharlan 12:09 PM 10-26-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I checked for fever, does not have one..

So it looks like she needs to go home... It's funny how I am about snot..

i can take poop, vomit, just about anything...BUT SNOT eeewwwww.. I almost puke every time I wipe her nose...lol
That is the one thing I cannot handle. Like you, I can handle the rest, but snot makes me gag.
Tags:sickness, snot
Reply Up