Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant Room Help
Second 03:09 PM 10-31-2017
Hello,

I'm a new infant teacher and am hoping for some advice. We do diaper changes every hour, and have a connected diaper room and playroom. What's the most efficient way to move the kids from one room to another? When I have 5 kids it takes me 25mins to do diaper changes. When it's time to change rooms I let the 4 mobile kids go on their own and carry the non-mobile child and my supplies.

But it takes forever getting the kids, the mini highchairs, and the supplies into the proper room. The mobile kids run around between rooms and it's difficult to keep them in my sight at all times. I'm constantly putting down supplies, running after a kid, then trying again to get everything and everyone into the proper room. Then by the time they're in there there's not much time until diaper changes again!

Any suggestions on what I could do differently to make this process smoother?
flying_babyb 04:36 PM 10-31-2017
im confused, why are you moving all your stuff? Why cant the diaper supplies live in the diaper room? Why do you need highchairs in that room? Also why not put a gate between the rooms, that way they cant run all over.
storybookending 07:44 PM 10-31-2017
Originally Posted by Second:
Hello,

I'm a new infant teacher and am hoping for some advice. We do diaper changes every hour, and have a connected diaper room and playroom. What's the most efficient way to move the kids from one room to another? When I have 5 kids it takes me 25mins to do diaper changes. When it's time to change rooms I let the 4 mobile kids go on their own and carry the non-mobile child and my supplies.

But it takes forever getting the kids, the mini highchairs, and the supplies into the proper room. The mobile kids run around between rooms and it's difficult to keep them in my sight at all times. I'm constantly putting down supplies, running after a kid, then trying again to get everything and everyone into the proper room. Then by the time they're in there there's not much time until diaper changes again!

Any suggestions on what I could do differently to make this process smoother?
It’s takes 5 minutes to change each diaper? Are you allowed 5 by yourself in your state? Does your state require sight and sound supervision? Is the room unsafe to where they can’t just be free playing in the playroom while you take turns changing them? It sounds like you must be at a center. Can the director help you or offer solutions? Also, why are diapers being changed every hour? That seems excessive.
Jamie 04:49 AM 11-01-2017
I don't get this?
1. Why do you change diapers every hour?? I check/change diapers every two hours approximately, unless someone poops.
2. Why do you need to bring High chairs, supplies etc.? If you have a diaper room, don't you have all you need for changing diapers in there?
3. Why do you need to bring all kids at once? Can't you just bring the one whose diaper needs changing, and the rest of them can keep playing?
HappyEverAfter 06:55 AM 11-01-2017
As I read your post I was a little confused as I was trying to picture the setup and reasoning for doing things a certain way. I assume you are in a center, not your home. I will also assume you are required to take all 5 children with you when you enter the diaper changing room. And since you mentioned having to transport supplies back and forth, I'm going to assume you share this diaper changing room with others and that's why the supplies have to be carried back and forth. Based off those assumptions, I have the following suggestions:
-Get yourself a nice caddy. Use it to hold all your supplies for diaper changing for each day. This way, going from room to room with supplies will be as simple as grabbing the caddy and you won't have to waste time collecting everything.
-Stop moving mini high chairs back and forth. I assume this is so the kids have somewhere to sit while they wait as you change diapers on the other kids. Instead of the high chairs, get a yoga mat. Keep it by your caddy and let the kids sit on this as they wait their turn for the diaper change. Tell them it's a magic carpet ride and maybe make up a song or game that can be verbally played to entertain them while they wait. This will save you so much time not having to move holding contraptions back and forth.
-I'd work on increasing your diaper changing speed. 5 minutes for each child may be a bit slower than you want to aim for, especially assuming not every child's diaper will really even be wet/dirty after an hour. Obviously some will take 5 minutes but not all of them will.
Second 02:43 AM 11-02-2017
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies! Here are some answers to the common questions.

1) The children are not allowed to be unsecured while I'm doing a diaper change.

2) I must be in the same room with the children at all times.

3) 1 to 5 ratio is in compliance with state rules.

4) I meant supplies like my clipboard, snacks, CDs, sippy cups/bottles, gloves, towels, etc. These things are stored in the same room so I carry them to the play room when needed.

I'll try to increase my diaper changing speed, maybe that will help. I notice that my coworkers don't always follow the "must be in the same room with the children at all times" rule, but with me being so new I'm not going to risk my job breaking it lol.
Pestle 07:42 AM 11-02-2017
Originally Posted by Second:
1) The children are not allowed to be unsecured while I'm doing a diaper change.
That is odd. Not allowed to be "unsecured"--does that mean the child you are currently changing must be secured? That's usually a requirement. I find it hard to believe the state wants all the kids who aren't being changed to be strapped down. Many states do not permit children to be secured at all unless they're in the process of eating a meal. I'm assuming this is a center rule, and not a state regulation?

It sounds to me like somebody in charge of the procedure at your center is misinterpreting the regulations. If the other kids need to be in arm's length but the changing room isn't safe for them to wait in, it sounds like somebody needs to redesign the changing room.

Also, checking hourly is typical and changing every two hours is typical, but changing everybody hourly is oddly frequent. I think most of us feel like some wires have gotten crossed between your state regulations, your center policies, and how you've been taught to apply them.

Now, myself, I have a bunch of gates, so I can keep the other kids just on the other side of the open door while I'm changing and supervise everybody at once.

Yeah; you need to pick up your changing pace! You should be able to change an infant and wash your hands in a minute or two if there's not enormous blowout to deal with. However, if these mobile kids are taking a few minutes to sit on the potty, I can see why it'd take so long. The CDC recommends a minimum of 20 seconds of scrubbing in running water after you've got your hands lathered up. I have the kids wet their hands, turn the water off, soap up their hands, and turn the water back on and scrub while I sing the ABC song.
Pestle 07:51 AM 11-02-2017
Ohio regs just say:

(e) No child shall be left unattended on the diaper changing table.

(f) If restrooms are used for diapering, children who are waiting for toileting and diapering shall not be placed or required to sit directly on the floor.

Of course, since you've just started, you probably don't want to make waves. But working efficiently is also something they'll want from you. It looks to me like the walkers can stand and wait and you only need a place to put the infant.
Miss A 07:54 AM 11-02-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
That is odd. Not allowed to be "unsecured"--does that mean the child you are currently changing must be secured? That's usually a requirement. I find it hard to believe the state wants all the kids who aren't being changed to be strapped down. Many states do not permit children to be secured at all unless they're in the process of eating a meal. I'm assuming this is a center rule, and not a state regulation?

It sounds to me like somebody in charge of the procedure at your center is misinterpreting the regulations. If the other kids need to be in arm's length but the changing room isn't safe for them to wait in, it sounds like somebody needs to redesign the changing room.

Also, checking hourly is typical and changing every two hours is typical, but changing everybody hourly is oddly frequent. I think most of us feel like some wires have gotten crossed between your state regulations, your center policies, and how you've been taught to apply them.

Now, myself, I have a bunch of gates, so I can keep the other kids just on the other side of the open door while I'm changing and supervise everybody at once.

Yeah; you need to pick up your changing pace! You should be able to change an infant and wash your hands in a minute or two if there's not enormous blowout to deal with. However, if these mobile kids are taking a few minutes to sit on the potty, I can see why it'd take so long. The CDC recommends a minimum of 20 seconds of scrubbing in running water after you've got your hands lathered up. I have the kids wet their hands, turn the water off, soap up their hands, and turn the water back on and scrub while I sing the ABC song.
I was going to chime in with most all of this. When I worked in a center, our infant room was actually 3 adjoining rooms with large doorways between. Children were allowed to play throughout the room, as long as I could maintain visual and audible supervision.

We changed every 2 hours, unless the child had a BM. Before they were 1 year of age we were required to ask the parents if they wanted babies changed every hour or every 2. We never once had a parent want their child's diaper changed every hour, as it is a waste of expensive diapers.

Your diaper changing speed sounds about right for a center setting though, if you are taking into account time for changing table sanitization. Per Iowa law, we had to clean the changing table before laying the first child down and allow 2 minutes for the sanitizer to set on the surface. Then you wiped the table down, changed the diaper, washed the child's hands (yes, even babies and it was awful!) And then sanitize the table again. Then once you had finished sanitizing the table you had to wash your hands, and start the process all over again. I usually did all the diapering while another teacher did other routine care tasks, and when we had 11 kids in our room it would take upwards of an hour to finish all diapers.
HappyEverAfter 10:25 AM 11-02-2017
Originally Posted by Miss A:

Your diaper changing speed sounds about right for a center setting though, if you are taking into account time for changing table sanitization. Per Iowa law, we had to clean the changing table before laying the first child down and allow 2 minutes for the sanitizer to set on the surface. Then you wiped the table down, changed the diaper, washed the child's hands (yes, even babies and it was awful!) And then sanitize the table again. Then once you had finished sanitizing the table you had to wash your hands, and start the process all over again. I usually did all the diapering while another teacher did other routine care tasks, and when we had 11 kids in our room it would take upwards of an hour to finish all diapers.
Wow! Those are some super seriously detailed steps for a diaper change! I am all for cleanliness and taking necessary precautions but good grief! I would've lost my mind.
Pestle 08:12 AM 11-03-2017
Originally Posted by Miss A:
Sounds like it's time for disposable changing table liners.

I don't change toddlers on the table at all! Since we do a lot of our activities Montessori-style, any child who can stand is changed standing up. It helps them experience the changing process as something they participate in, instead of a passive activity, and transitions them more easily into taking on the responsibility of getting themselves into and out of their pull-ups later on. I've got a 1-day-a-week 2yo right now whose parents do everything for him, and he PANICS when it's time to perform tasks like taking off his shoes or pulling down his pull-up.
Miss A 08:17 AM 11-03-2017
Originally Posted by HappyEverAfter:
Wow! Those are some super seriously detailed steps for a diaper change! I am all for cleanliness and taking necessary precautions but good grief! I would've lost my mind.
When I worked at the center we had a 2 hour state training on diapering procedure, and then when they would come observe for QRIS they would observe our diapering procedure.

Now that I am a legally license exempt home provider, my diapering procedure looks nothing like that. Still handwashing and sanitizing, but not 5 minutes a diaper!
Cat Herder 08:57 AM 11-03-2017
Originally Posted by HappyEverAfter:
That is just the tip of the iceberg for QRIS. You should see the daily hand washing, cleaning and sanitizing charts.
Tags:infant room
Reply Up