Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>In The Market For A Quad Stroller
MarinaVanessa 10:02 PM 04-29-2014
So I decided to invest some of my income tax refund on a quad stroller. Right now I use a Sit'n Stand double stroller and like the narrow feel and maneuverability but now that my DS is 8 months old I'm not able to wear him anymore and I already have 2 other infants (1 year olds). I also have a very small 3 year old that's the size of a 2 year old that has trouble walking so needless to say we haven't gone on a walk in a looooong time.

I was looking around online for a quad stroller and reviews don't help. Half say "yes buy it" while the others say "stop, don't buy it". Do any of you use a quad stroller that can give first hand experience?? My toughest hurdle is not being able to see models in person and test them out before I buy one. They're all online orders.

The stroller has to:
.Seat 4
.Accommodate an infant car seat or have an infant conversion kit that I can buy separate (for future use)
.Be easy to maneuver
.Be light enough to be picked up by me with no other help
.Fold up to fit into the back of my Sienna van

Anyone have any first hand experience? Reviews? Ideas?
Blackcat31 08:31 AM 04-30-2014
Other threads about quad strollers

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...oller+-+4+seat
sharlan 09:29 AM 04-30-2014
I love my Valco Baby triple stroller. You can get the step for a 4th child. My older kids sit on the front with no problems. I have the joey seat so I can use it for either 2 or 3 kids. I've had it for a 1 1/2 yrs and have been really happy with it.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...ode%20stroller
josie2014 10:06 AM 04-30-2014
I did bought quadruple stroller,but I bought used one from foundations.You always going to read some bad reviews.
Here is the thing sometimes the front wheels stock OMG takes almost 10 minutes to get going crazy with 4 kids lol...especially if they start to cry.But the foundations was the one with best reviews on amazon.
Has double brakes so when you walk you have to hold the hand brakes all the time,no big deal.But if you walk for longer than hour you going to be so tired,where I live have so many hills.I was planning to buy triple stroller but I decided for quadruple because I can put diaper bag in one seat if I have one more child I have extra seat.Easy to clean,the seats do recliner but just little bit,is really heavy around 60 pounds...I live my out side I bought rain cover.
TwinKristi 10:26 AM 04-30-2014
I have this one. It's ok. Not a lot of choices when it comes to quad strollers and fitting in the back of a Sienna. This one folds up and would probably take up the entire trunk area, but it would fit. I can lift it and such myself so I would think you could too. It's definitely a task, but it's possible. The other options were all the 4 straight options not the 2 x 2.

sarah33 10:48 AM 04-30-2014
If you don't have to put in the back of your car, but could use the attachment on the back ( like folks do for wheelchairs), then I would recommend a RunAbout. I love, love, love mine! I had seat covers custom made from a lady on Etsy, and I get a lot of compliments on it. I even had a sign made for it with my logo and phone number so we advertised on our daily walks.
sarah33 10:51 AM 04-30-2014
Oh, and I found mine on craigslist for $600; it is a 5-seater. The seat covers, canopy and basket cover were an extra $250. Really worth it though. It pushes very easily (and I had two 3-year-olds, a 2 year old and two babies in it). Sometimes, I would only have four kids and used the middle seat for backpack/supplies. I also don't have to worry about the tires going flat, and it has a sun shade to give the kids some protection and privacy. Plus, all of the seats can recline. Love it!
MarinaVanessa 12:21 PM 04-30-2014
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I love my Valco Baby triple stroller. You can get the step for a 4th child. My older kids sit on the front with no problems. I have the joey seat so I can use it for either 2 or 3 kids. I've had it for a 1 1/2 yrs and have been really happy with it.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...ode%20stroller
I wish I could just use a triple but I need a quad A step for one of the kids wouldn't work for me unfortunately. It has to seat 4. Right now I have a non-walker (my DS), 2 barely walkers (the one year olds) and a small 3yo that has physical and developmental delays. I tried using my sit n stand with him once and he kept falling out. He doesn't hold on.

I still tried to look for what you were saying but I didn't find anything under that name that carries 4. The link took me to a yahoo search??

I would still like to check it out though. DO you have a link to a pic that has it where there are 4 kids in it? That would help tremendously.

Originally Posted by josie2014:
I did bought quadruple stroller,but I bought used one from foundations.You always going to read some bad reviews.
Here is the thing sometimes the front wheels stock OMG takes almost 10 minutes to get going crazy with 4 kids lol...especially if they start to cry.But the foundations was the one with best reviews on amazon.
Has double brakes so when you walk you have to hold the hand brakes all the time,no big deal.But if you walk for longer than hour you going to be so tired,where I live have so many hills.I was planning to buy triple stroller but I decided for quadruple because I can put diaper bag in one seat if I have one more child I have extra seat.Easy to clean,the seats do recliner but just little bit,is really heavy around 60 pounds...I live my out side I bought rain cover.
The foundations stroller is the one that I was leaning towards more because it seems to be the lightest and it's fold-able. I can also install a Graco infant car seat to it (or 2) if I have small infants in the future.

I was thinking about the double brakes and even though the idea of having to hold the brake at the handle down the whole time that I'm pushing it was a little iffy for me I do realize that it's a safety feature. If I'm going straight on a level surface for a long time I can always wrap a piece of velcro to it or something. I do like the fact that it's there if I'm going up or down a hill.

How difficult is it to push up a hill fully loaded with kids and stuff? The park that we walk to is a 15 minute walk mostly downhill and of course that means that after a good run in the park it's mostly uphill (not a super steep slope but still, you feel it KWIM??).

Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
I have this one. It's ok. Not a lot of choices when it comes to quad strollers and fitting in the back of a Sienna. This one folds up and would probably take up the entire trunk area, but it would fit. I can lift it and such myself so I would think you could too. It's definitely a task, but it's possible. The other options were all the 4 straight options not the 2 x 2.

Yep, this is the one I'm leaning towards. It taking up the whole trunk isn't a problem. I don't carry anything now except my double stroller anyway. I havn't seen 4 straight options. I'll look into that. Thanks!

Originally Posted by sarah33:
If you don't have to put in the back of your car, but could use the attachment on the back ( like folks do for wheelchairs), then I would recommend a RunAbout. I love, love, love mine! I had seat covers custom made from a lady on Etsy, and I get a lot of compliments on it. I even had a sign made for it with my logo and phone number so we advertised on our daily walks.
I was hoping not to spend more than $500 so spending $$$ on the RunAbout one alone then adding more money for an attachment is something that I'll have to think about. Do you happen to know which attachment I would need? I hope it has a ramp. I'll have to look more into this too.

Oh, and I found mine on craigslist for $600; it is a 5-seater. The seat covers, canopy and basket cover were an extra $250. Really worth it though. It pushes very easily (and I had two 3-year-olds, a 2 year old and two babies in it). Sometimes, I would only have four kids and used the middle seat for backpack/supplies. I also don't have to worry about the tires going flat, and it has a sun shade to give the kids some protection and privacy. Plus, all of the seats can recline. Love it!
The ease of pushing one of these makes me really consider this as an option.

I think I remember you saying you bought one. Was that you? You were looking for a basket? I don't know how lucky I'd be to find one near me but I'd be willing to drive out 2 or 3 hours for one for the right price. Further if it was crazy cheap.

Thank you ladies! lots to consider! Now to read all of those threads BC posted
nothingwithoutjoy 12:30 PM 04-30-2014
I had seat covers custom made from a lady on Etsy,
Will you share which Etsy seller you used? I was thinking of doing this same thing...
nothingwithoutjoy 12:34 PM 04-30-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
I think I remember you saying you bought one. Was that you? You were looking for a basket? I don't know how lucky I'd be to find one near me but I'd be willing to drive out 2 or 3 hours for one for the right price. Further if it was crazy cheap.
It was me, and here's a warning...be a smarter shopper than I was. I had to drive to get it, so I made the decision from afar, paid first, and then went to pick it up. It turns out to have problems (which I didn't notice until I got it home). I've now traded a parent two free days tuition in exchange for trying to fix it, but he's having trouble. The handle was rusted or otherwise stuck into a low, low position, so I couldn't use it. I'll let you know what I think if he manages to fix it...
TwinKristi 12:43 PM 04-30-2014
Originally Posted by MV:

Yep, this is the one I'm leaning towards. It taking up the whole trunk isn't a problem. I don't carry anything now except my double stroller anyway. I havn't seen 4 straight options. I'll look into that. Thanks!

I was hoping not to spend more than $500 so spending $$$ on the RunAbout one alone then adding more money for an attachment is something that I'll have to think about. Do you happen to know which attachment I would need? I hope it has a ramp. I'll have to look more into this too.

Thank you ladies! lots to consider! Now to read all of those threads BC posted
This is the one I was referring to as the 4 straight, but you mentioned it in your post so you know about it. It is very pricey though and doesn't fit in the back of a Sienna! By the time you add the hitch attachments, accessories, etc. you're looking at a huge investment. $300 for the car attachment and no ramp, $160 for a cover while its on the back plus the cost of the stroller is $1500 plus shipping!
I have a Target Red Card so I saved 5% plus free shipping and had a $10 coupon or something plus it was less than it is now so I didn't spend very much on it.

lpperry 01:06 PM 04-30-2014
I have the Foundations Quad Stroller. I bought mine off Criagslist. It has been a great daycare stroller. We take long walks too and while it is heavy to push, it's fine. It is pretty tough on hills.

You would not be able to put velcro around the bar you have to hold down while pushing the stroller. You have to hold it down pretty hard. I hated it, so I just disabled that feature, but cutting that cable. Now I can just push the stroller like a regular stroller and use the regular break. I have never had a problem with the stroller. There is no way I could push that beast while squeezing the extra bar. That is the worst design I have ever seen.

While the stroller is fine for daycare, I would hate it if I had quads and used it for daily use. If we had the money, I would have bought an ABC Quad Buggy. http://adventurebuggycompany.com/quadbuggy.htm It was close to $1000 and I got the Foundations quad for about $250 on Craigslist, but I still really wish I would have bought the expensive ABC Quad Buggy. It looks awesome and I would have also used it as a double for my own kids.

TwinKristi 01:45 PM 04-30-2014
Originally Posted by lpperry:
I have the Foundations Quad Stroller. I bought mine off Criagslist. It has been a great daycare stroller. We take long walks too and while it is heavy to push, it's fine. It is pretty tough on hills.

You would not be able to put velcro around the bar you have to hold down while pushing the stroller. You have to hold it down pretty hard. I hated it, so I just disabled that feature, but cutting that cable. Now I can just push the stroller like a regular stroller and use the regular break. I have never had a problem with the stroller. There is no way I could push that beast while squeezing the extra bar. That is the worst design I have ever seen.

While the stroller is fine for daycare, I would hate it if I had quads and used it for daily use. If we had the money, I would have bought an ABC Quad Buggy. http://adventurebuggycompany.com/quadbuggy.htm It was close to $1000 and I got the Foundations quad for about $250 on Craigslist, but I still really wish I would have bought the expensive ABC Quad Buggy. It looks awesome and I would have also used it as a double for my own kids.
I put a zip tie on mine to hold it down! It IS a pain to push while holding it though. It hurt my hands! It would cause carpal tunnel in a short period of time if used daily! I'm sure some of you are more fit than I am, but when I was pushing 4 toddlers in it I was getting leg cramps after about 1/2mi! I hate leg cramps!!
MarinaVanessa 01:55 PM 04-30-2014
I can't believe how helpful this has all been.

After considering everything and reading a lot more about each and every option that was posted and in the other threads (as well as some more derping around on the internet) I found out a few things.

The quad side by side stroller like in the picture above seems to have issues with difficulty pushing a lot mainly because of weight. It seems that often times if there is a lot of weight (like if there are 4 older toddlers in it) the weight pushes down on the braking system which weighs down on the wheels making it as if you were pushing while holding down on the break some. This issue was resolved simply by disabling and removing the brake system on the handle and just leaving and using the foot brake. I don't know if that will help any of you ladies with the Foundation stroller or not.

So far I LOVE the Roundabout jogger stroller for four but could never get one at the new price. I nearly fainted when I saw it.

I went online just for the heck of it and found an ad for a triple not too far from me and I think the frame is the same as the 4 seater. I'm waiting to hear back from the manufacturer. There is another triple one a bit further away for a little more money but looks good and already has a canopy. I REALLY want one. Both are priced EXTREMELY well.

If neither leads turn out well I will go with the foundations quad stroller. Like suggested I will look at a used one first and test it before I buy it.

I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that the ads are real and not scams and that the strollers are still available. At this point I could buy the 2 used Roundabout jogging strollers for less than the price of 1 new Foundations stroller. Crossing my fingers, eyes, legs... everything.
SunnyDay 03:33 PM 04-30-2014
I had the Foundations quad and was happy with it. I bought it used and the handbar that you had to push down had already been disabled. I found it pretty easy to push, it did help if most of the weight was in the back two seats and there were lighter children in the front. I was able to use it with 3 month olds by just reclining the back seats. Good luck!
MarinaVanessa 05:07 PM 04-30-2014
So I ended up taking a look at a 3 seater Runabout (I kept calling it a Roundabout ) just for the heck of it so I can see what a 4 seater would look like and just to get an idea. The lady was selling it for $150 and it was not in the greatest condition. She had bought it on CL, it was faded, in her shed for a long time etc. I got to play with it a bit and thought that it would work nicely (but in a 4 seater, I just wanted to play with the 3 seater to get a feel for it). Well I thanked her and reminded her that I just wanted to look at it and she ended up giving it to me for free !! I can't make this stuff up!!

I was like "Are you sure?" and she was adamant that she wanted it out of her house. She even helped me unload my trunk to my van and moved everything to inside my van and her and her brother got it to fit into my trunk . I feel like I won a million dollars.

For FREE I don't mind at all that it only seats 3 and I can deal with all of the faded seats and padding I can replace those. The brakes need to be reworked but I can take it to a bike shop. The frame is in great shape and that's what matters.

Maybe my 3yo DCB will build endurance over the next couple of weeks and can do better at walking
nothingwithoutjoy 05:50 PM 04-30-2014
WOW! Congratulations! Now I can't even confess the outrageous price I paid for mine...
KidGrind 05:57 PM 04-30-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
So I ended up taking a look at a 3 seater Runabout (I kept calling it a Roundabout ) just for the heck of it so I can see what a 4 seater would look like and just to get an idea. The lady was selling it for $150 and it was not in the greatest condition. She had bought it on CL, it was faded, in her shed for a long time etc. I got to play with it a bit and thought that it would work nicely (but in a 4 seater, I just wanted to play with the 3 seater to get a feel for it). Well I thanked her and reminded her that I just wanted to look at it and she ended up giving it to me for free !! I can't make this stuff up!!

I was like "Are you sure?" and she was adamant that she wanted it out of her house. She even helped me unload my trunk to my van and moved everything to inside my van and her and her brother got it to fit into my trunk . I feel like I won a million dollars.

For FREE I don't mind at all that it only seats 3 and I can deal with all of the faded seats and padding I can replace those. The brakes need to be reworked but I can take it to a bike shop. The frame is in great shape and that's what matters.

Maybe my 3yo DCB will build endurance over the next couple of weeks and can do better at walking
Major score, I am happy for you. I am feeling a little sad, chuckle included for the 3yo DCB. Eye of the Tiger is playing in my head.
MarinaVanessa 05:59 PM 04-30-2014
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
WOW! Congratulations! Now I can't even confess the outrageous price I paid for mine...
Yeah but I bet you don't have a LOT of fading, one of the seats is missing a pad, the harnesses and 2 other pads need a GOOD washing, I'm going to check the harnesses well and might just replace them just because, I'll need to order a canopy and a cover and the brakes need to be reworked. I may even have to replace a tire. For FREE dollars, I don't mind.

I had called the manufacturer to ask about parts and he tried getting me to buy the 4 seater at a "discount" of $1500. I was like dude, my budget is $500. More than enough for my parts lol
nothingwithoutjoy 06:03 PM 04-30-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
Yeah but I bet you don't have a LOT of fading, one of the seats is missing a pad, the harnesses and 2 other pads need a GOOD washing, I'm going to check the harnesses well and might just replace them just because, I'll need to order a canopy and a cover and the brakes need to be reworked. I may even have to replace a tire. For FREE dollars, I don't mind.
Oh, yeah, I do. I just never see them cheap, so I went ahead and shelled out the bucks and now I'm regretting it because it's taking more work than I think is worth it. Lots of fading, some rust, needs a major scrubbing, I'd like to replace the pads, no basket, and the handlebar is stuck in unusable-low position.

If the cover you need is for outdoor storage, the person I bought mine from had a good idea. She was using a grill cover, and it works great.
mountainside13 06:09 AM 05-01-2014
http://www.a-winther.com/pages/turtl...s/6-seater.php

This is my dream one!!!

Michelle 06:23 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by mountainside13:
http://www.a-winther.com/pages/turtl...s/6-seater.php

This is my dream one!!!
Oh wow!
I love that one!
We have a foundations quad and I love it
only because my wonderful dh pushes it, loads it in the van , and deals with the whole thing!
I push the double

I would love a six passenger but our kids don't exactly get a long that well and they have to be separated but that wagon is super cute!
Blackcat31 06:52 AM 05-01-2014
My neighbor used grant money to buy this one

I see her out walking all the time. She has a six seater, although it comes both smaller and larger. You can also purchase accessories such as rugged terrain wheels, a canopy and additional seating styles

spinnymarie 07:45 AM 05-01-2014
These are awesome, we need at least a quad as well. I'm so jealous that some of you are seeing these on craigslist! We rarely even have a triple on there!
sarah33 11:44 AM 05-01-2014
https://www.etsy.com/people/tiptotip

Here are some pics of my stroller after I had the custom work put on it. Sorry the pics aren't so great! It has been in storage all of this LOOONNNNNGGGG winter!

It does steer very easily, and to turn you just lightly push down like a lawnmower and it will move with you. It is VERY easy to manuever, and I have had a lot of people try just for the novelty of it!

I would just keep an eye out on craigslist and ebay. I got mine off craigslist from a daycare provider who was moving and going back to school. She lived on post, and I was the third person to call in one day. I got the stroller because I am retired military and could get on post without her having to deal with bringing it to the gate!

If you can find it, get it!
Attached: DSCN0492.jpg (104.3 KB) DSCN0494.jpg (95.6 KB) 
nothingwithoutjoy 11:53 AM 05-01-2014
Thank you! If we get mine functional, I'll definitely consider some new seat covers.
MarinaVanessa 11:53 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
Oh, yeah, I do. I just never see them cheap, so I went ahead and shelled out the bucks and now I'm regretting it because it's taking more work than I think is worth it. Lots of fading, some rust, needs a major scrubbing, I'd like to replace the pads, no basket, and the handlebar is stuck in unusable-low position.

If the cover you need is for outdoor storage, the person I bought mine from had a good idea. She was using a grill cover, and it works great.
The BBQ cover idea is great!

That's too bad about your stroller. The really bad part is the handle, everything else fixable. Can you use a rubber mallet maybe to loosen it up?? If you can get that handle working everything else is relatively easy to fix.

Replacement Parts ...
Handlebar with Grip $80
Seat Pads $15 ea
Basket $60
plus shipping of course ... I think they have a wholsale sale right now, these were on the price sheet I was emailed today.

I loved the 3 seater so much I really want a 4 seater so I'm really contemplating buying the 4 seater brand new.
MarinaVanessa 01:33 PM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by spinnymarie:
These are awesome, we need at least a quad as well. I'm so jealous that some of you are seeing these on craigslist! We rarely even have a triple on there!
No quad ones online here either. Just triples. I'm considering buying a few replacement parts for the triple and saving up for the quad. I really liked it. The car carrier for it is only like $150 more if I really wanted to go anywhere with it in my van ( the triple ended fitting in my trunk of the Sienna just perfectly but I doubt the quad will).

It's too bad that none of you are close to me (Ventura County CA) since there is a triple in San Fernando Valley on CL for $200 and it has a basket and the canopy with the side panels. It looks like it's in great condition and clean.

https://www.etsy.com/people/tiptotip

Here are some pics of my stroller after I had the custom work put on it. Sorry the pics aren't so great! It has been in storage all of this LOOONNNNNGGGG winter!

It does steer very easily, and to turn you just lightly push down like a lawnmower and it will move with you. It is VERY easy to manuever, and I have had a lot of people try just for the novelty of it!

I would just keep an eye out on craigslist and ebay. I got mine off craigslist from a daycare provider who was moving and going back to school. She lived on post, and I was the third person to call in one day. I got the stroller because I am retired military and could get on post without her having to deal with bringing it to the gate!

If you can find it, get it!
VERY cute! Love the customization
BrooklynM 02:02 PM 05-01-2014
I have this one and use it almost everyday. It handles GREAT! I love love love it! I highly recommend it. Make sure you get the LX model! I have the Taupe/Red, it was $449 on Amazon, free shipping!

http://www.amazon.com/Foundations-4-...+stroller+quad
nothingwithoutjoy 05:20 PM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
Can you use a rubber mallet maybe to loosen it up?? If you can get that handle working everything else is relatively easy to fix.
That's what I was hoping, but I couldn't do it, even with WD40 and a mallet. So I bartered with a dad; two free days to fix it. He's really struggling. He finally got them loose with lots of whacking at them, but says the handlebar's still low, so he wants to take it out and flip it over (I'm tall). But the ends are mangled now from the mallet, so he's going to saw them off so they'll come out. What a pain! I hadn't noticed the replacement handlebar...would have been cheaper than the barter! (But really, I did it because I don't have time or patience for it right now; we're going through a lot of family stuff.) Just hoping I love it after all this!
TwinKristi 05:44 PM 05-01-2014
Great deal!!! Can you wear your baby or one of the smallest in a carrier of some sort until you can get the 4 seater?
MarinaVanessa 12:44 PM 05-02-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Great deal!!! Can you wear your baby or one of the smallest in a carrier of some sort until you can get the 4 seater?
I broke down and convinced my DH into getting a 4 seater by offering to help him clean out the garage and getting rid of stuff.

I was using a double stroller and putting my DS in a moby but he's 8 month's now and too heavy for any type of carrier. It's killing my back. If I didn't start this 3yo with physical delays then it would have worked out perfectly with the 3 seater. Oh well.

I cleaned up the free one really nice and I'll see if I can find someone that will want it. I will be keeping the basket though for my own stroller lol. Not going to lie, I'm going to try to sell it and probably a bunch of stuff in the garage. I need to subsidize all the money I'm about to spend lol
TwinKristi 02:43 PM 05-02-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
I broke down and convinced my DH into getting a 4 seater by offering to help him clean out the garage and getting rid of stuff.

I was using a double stroller and putting my DS in a moby but he's 8 month's now and too heavy for any type of carrier. It's killing my back. If I didn't start this 3yo with physical delays then it would have worked out perfectly with the 3 seater. Oh well.

I cleaned up the free one really nice and I'll see if I can find someone that will want it. I will be keeping the basket though for my own stroller lol. Not going to lie, I'm going to try to sell it and probably a bunch of stuff in the garage. I need to subsidize all the money I'm about to spend lol
Hey nothing wrong with that! You didn't come there to buy it and she just gave it to you knowing there was probably very little interest! LOL Good luck!!
Reply Up