Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Girls in DC do NOT Get Along..??
Unregistered 04:43 AM 08-04-2010
I have 2 girls within a year apart in age & both VERY strong personalities - so they butt heads all the time. Almost Everyday I have to break up a fight - it is either a verbal fight or sometimes physical.

One of the girls has been here for almost 3 years - the other will be a year in January.
The longest girl has a brother here so I wouldnt want to terminate them because 1) I get a lot of money from that family 2) she has been here the longest 3 ) this girl gets along with the others all the time its only when the other girl comes so its girl #2 who is the main problem.

Would you terminate Girl #2? How do you handle this situation ? Is there anyway to get these girls to get along ? Do I wait it out and with age they will start to mature a bit more and maybe get along ?
JJPlaycare 10:56 AM 08-04-2010
I feel you, I have the same problem! Only one of the girls is my own child, she is 5 and the daycare girl is 6 and has a brother! I do not want to terminate because they are my biggest paying family! They just butt heads, they have since day 1! I am just waiting for school to start! : Z When they fight and bicker, I mostly try to ignore them, but they do not do anything physical! I have set them both in chairs and made them stare at eachother, they usually end up giggling and get along for the next 10 or so minutes! LOL at least it is a little bit of time!! Can't wait to see everyones responses to this post! : D
ninosqueridos 11:26 AM 08-04-2010
I had a similar situation a couple of months ago and made the difficult decision to terminate my "girl #2"..............except I also had issues with her Mom being a non-communicator so it didn't help the situation. I cannot begin to explain the world of difference it has made to my "girl #1" and the REST of the children now that girl #2 isn't here. They all behave better and ALL of the physical stuff has completely stopped (used to be between girl #1 & girl #2 for the most part, and my ds was starting to use his hands as well....and now he stopped, too). The kids are all happy now. I used to walk out of the room before KNOWING that my "girl #2" would start something verbal or physical with someone else (mind you, I'm talking about 2 year olds). It was terrible. I felt really badly for "girl #2" and that's why I dragged my feet with terminating.....but overall I knew it was best for everyone....and boy the RELIEF on the faces of all my other dcp's was obvious, too!! I was tired of having to do a lot of explaining to the other dcp's. Good luck with your decision. I know it's hard.
sierrastreasures 10:02 AM 10-18-2010
This is so similar to my situation. You're not alone! I'm writing up a termination letter now before I once again put it off thinking things will change. The child that I will be termination has a competitive issue which causes continual verbal as well as physical fights. I'm talking about 3 and 4 year olds.

Last week I decided to put my foot down after he assaulted another child while that other child and HIS mother were talking. His mom told him to appologize which he refused and ran behind his leg to ignor her. She told him one more time and when he refused (still behind her leg holding on) she dropped it. At this point I told him to come out behind his mom's legs and he peeked out clutching her leg yelling "NO" at me. The mother didn't do a thing. This is not the first time he has disrespected myself and other children in childcare so I was very close to dropping immediately at the point. I decided to give it one more try.

There seems to be a personality clash between dcs's mom and I. She feels comfortable talking through her son by initiating a conversation with me and if and when her son interupts she tells her son the next sentence to tell me and continues through out the conversation in this high pitch baby voice and then ends up tickling him on the floor. It's driving me nuts and I just don't want to interact with her at the end of the day. I want her son to go home and she thinks she has to stay and talk in baby talk through her son with me. Today she handed me her email address and said I can email her the menu every day so she will not duplicate dcs's food at night. I've had it ... it's termination time for me.

I know it difficult but have faith that you may be able to fill your slot with a child more compatable. I will keep my fingers crossed. Now I have to find that thread with sample termination letters for this mom and day.
Live and Learn 10:09 AM 10-18-2010
Sounds like it is time to clean house if you know what I mean!
bye bye #2.
whenever I terminate I feel terrible for having to do it but in the end it always works out!
TGT09 10:11 AM 10-18-2010
I had a similar issue with a 18 month old and a 2 year old. 18 month old was super tiny for her age and 2 year old dcg felt like she was "mothering" her by taking toys away from her ALL the time. 18 mo dcg would cry or get angry but not do anything. 2 yo dcg got into many timeouts for doing this and eventually as they've gotten older don't do this as much. Although, I don't have the littlier girl anymore on a consistent basis since dcm works 3rd shift.
[email protected] 10:16 AM 10-18-2010
I call it weeding the garden,.. I do it in the fall and spring. I just cant stand the thought of winters with some of them,.. or summers when school is out. Luckily I have a group that seems to be on weed control right now so all is good. Good luck both of you.
sierrastreasures 11:47 AM 10-18-2010
Originally Posted by [email protected]:
I call it weeding the garden,.. I do it in the fall and spring. I just cant stand the thought of winters with some of them,.. or summers when school is out. Luckily I have a group that seems to be on weed control right now so all is good. Good luck both of you.
I love this quote... Time to start weeding my garden!
ninosqueridos 05:58 PM 10-18-2010
Originally Posted by [email protected]:
OMG that is hilarious
Tags:disipline
Reply Up