Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When you are cooking...
newtodaycare22 05:27 AM 11-03-2010
Where are the kids? I saw someone say that the accrediation (NAEYC maybe?) and the kids were supposed to be in the kitchen with them. I have my kids (all 3s and 4s) in the family room, which is right off of the kitchen. Is that a problem? Should I have them all coloring at the table or something? That does not sound as exciting as playing with music on in the other room
kidkair 05:52 AM 11-03-2010
I let them play in the toy room and dinning room. In MN we need to be able to see or hear them and be able to intervene. I can hear them just fine in the toy room while I cook so I let them play. My kids are 19 months to 4 years and none of them would be happy coloring at the table for 30 minutes. They much prefer playing or coloring on the chalkboard. I visually check on them when I can and I do have a video monitor I can turn on for the days where everyone is getting too rowdy or such.
newtodaycare22 06:08 AM 11-03-2010
Thank you, that helps. I checked the wording of MD regulations and its the same. I can definitely hear them. Thanks!
tenderhearts 06:22 AM 11-03-2010
Mine is the same as kidkair, however if it's a day they just aren't behaving then I'll put in a sing a long and have them sit and watch while I make lunch.
SilverSabre25 06:31 AM 11-03-2010
The wording is the same here in OH--we have to be within visual or hearing range of them at all times. Our playroom is right off the kitchen--in fact, I can see at least half the playroom while standing in front of the stove if I glance to the right. I did have one family who, during an interview, asked what I did with the kids while getting lunch or snack, and was NOT thrilled to hear that they played in the playroom while I cooked, even though they were in my kitchen and could see/hear for themselves that it was plenty of supervision (well, plenty in my book; I don't think kids need hovered over ever second). They did not, of course, end up hiring me, which was fine--I wouldn't be thrilled to work with such an uptight pair anyway.
DCMomOf3 06:31 AM 11-03-2010
I usually put them in boosters at the table with books and coloring supplies.
mac60 07:29 AM 11-03-2010
My kitchen is very small. There is not room for kids and cooking. My floor plan is open so can see the dc room.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 08:13 AM 11-03-2010
It was me, licensing is sight AND sound,.. NAFCC accreditation says direct line of sight. (for those under 3) up to their 3rd bday. So my solution,... infants in highchairs, toddlers and 2's at the table. 3's get to read stories quietly in the playroom (living room) less than 6 feet from me on the other side of a wall, I dont have a standard doorway, mine is about 5 1/2 feet wide. but it is not where I can SEE them while at the stove. That is the issue. I will have table cleaned and ready for them and put out their finger foods and they can munch while I warm their hot foods. Thats the only way I can think to do it,....
WImom 10:37 AM 11-03-2010
While I'm cooking is pretty much the only time they watch TV. They can watch a show, color at the table or read in the reading nook. This way I can see them all from where I'm at and it's not rowdy.
Reply Up