Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>3 yos coloring...
newtodaycare22 05:31 AM 11-03-2010
I taught kindergarten before this so although my degree is in psych/early childhood..I'm still getting used to the smallest kids

I have one 3 year old who colors perfectly and another who is struggling to hold the crayon the right way. He really wants to, but says it hurts his fingers. I know his muscles are not adjusted but the only way they'll get better is from practice. Any other advice? I'm not pushing him but he's getting so frustrated. Thanks!
TGT09 05:34 AM 11-03-2010
I have a similar situation. I have one 3 year old dcg that does really well coloring inside the lines and everything (she can even write her name) but my other 3 year old dcb (who will be 4 in May) doesn't hold the crayon the right way nor does he want to color with more than one color EVER. I have tried encouraging him to use many colors to color a picture but if he was left to do it alone, it would only be one color. Maybe it's a boy/girl thing but not sure.
Crystal 05:45 AM 11-03-2010
I do not give coloring pages, just plain paper. I also do not correct them at this age on how to properly hold the crayon/pencil etc. It is an emergent skill that will happen on it's own (usually) if you just allow them to explore and draw freely. Over time you will see the difference in theri "writing" starting with broad strokes and lines, then getting smaller, then what starts looking like letters (typically "o" first" and will then in time become writing. I don't even use tracer pages for learning letters and all of my children are writin their names by (usually before) they are 4. I say relax and let it happen on it's own
Lilbutterflie 05:47 AM 11-03-2010
Have you tried the triangular crayons? They are a little more expensive, but seem to help learn how to hold a crayon correctly for their little hands.
Could he be left handed? Do you notice he eats with his left hand or uses it to throw? Maybe it just feels wrong to him in the right hand.
This might just be his first experience with crayons, so he just needs practice like you said. Just keep at it!

My struggle is with an almost 5 yr old (kindergarten next fall) who will NOT color in the lines! Just scribbles, and usually only with one color. I can't get him to sit still and focus on doing anything for more than 10 minutes, either.
SilverSabre25 06:39 AM 11-03-2010
How are his other fine motor skills? Saying that it hurts his fingers makes me wonder if there's some low muscle tone issues or something. You might want to look into some of the Montessori-type activities that focus on fine motor control--here's a good site with a bunch of neat ideas:http://lapbooksbycarisa.homestead.com/TraysforTots.html also this one: http://mymontessorijourney.typepad.com/ (find the category on the left for Practical Life, that's where most of these are)

Basically, using eye droppers, tweezers, tongs, things like that will all build fine motor control and muscle strength in the hands to prepare kids for writing later on. I agree with the pp who said that she probably wouldn't push him to have the correct grip right now--my 3 yo DD has been asking how to hold the crayons "right" but since she's asking, she's ready, so we've been working on that.

Which crayons do you have--the really fat ones (Jumbo), the Large ones, or the regular ones?
DCMomOf3 07:20 AM 11-03-2010
I second the exposing him to other fine motor activies. I do want to say though that I think it's very important to let them be as creative as they want and telling them that one color is not good enough my hamper his desire to color at all. I say let him color as he wants. Keep working on correct holding and other hand skills, but not to worry so much about the scribbling and color choices.
kitkat 07:20 AM 11-03-2010
Try doing more activities with playdough or silly putty. When DS was 2 1/2 we went to a child development screening at a local school district. They noticed that his hand strength wasn't very strong. They recommended play dough and silly putty. Find something small to hide in a ball of it and have the kids try to find it. His hand and arm strength has always been a little lacking, but nothing very concerning to us. It does get better with time.
DCMomOf3 07:23 AM 11-03-2010
Originally Posted by kitkat:
Try doing more activities with playdough or silly putty. When DS was 2 1/2 we went to a child development screening at a local school district. They noticed that his hand strength wasn't very strong. They recommended play dough and silly putty. Find something small to hide in a ball of it and have the kids try to find it. His hand and arm strength has always been a little lacking, but nothing very concerning to us. It does get better with time.
I had some health problems a few years ago and the playdough was a recommendation for me to regain hand strength as well.
kidkair 08:12 AM 11-03-2010
Magnet doodles are a great tool for helping development the emergent skills for writing.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 08:41 AM 11-03-2010
my vote is to let him go at his own pace. give him the tools, the encouragement and excitement. Then step back and be amazed at who what how and why. If he says, help me do it like her.... thats one thing, but teaching him that you are patient with him about holding a crayon, will help him learn to be patient when he is rocking his newborn. If he hurts, let him stop, or use fat crayons, or melt some in the oven and mold them into balls for him. as long as he is creating, enjoying, exploring his world and how he can shape it,.. thats the key. He will learn to make perfect R's and Q's later on,.. or maybe he wont...... but by giving him the emotional skills to pace himself to his own needs,... you are giving him much more than penmanship. =-) We are simply planting seeds,... seeds grow into ideas, ideas into actions, and actions into an amazing person. =-) I swear,... why did I not understand this when I was younger? lol. I have MELLOWED with age.
newtodaycare22 09:45 AM 11-03-2010
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
Have you tried the triangular crayons? They are a little more expensive, but seem to help learn how to hold a crayon correctly for their little hands.
Could he be left handed? Do you notice he eats with his left hand or uses it to throw? Maybe it just feels wrong to him in the right hand.
This might just be his first experience with crayons, so he just needs practice like you said. Just keep at it!

My struggle is with an almost 5 yr old (kindergarten next fall) who will NOT color in the lines! Just scribbles, and usually only with one color. I can't get him to sit still and focus on doing anything for more than 10 minutes, either.
Good idea! I have some jumbo ones but you're right...triangle ones would be good for getting the grip. Thanks!
newtodaycare22 09:46 AM 11-03-2010
Thanks everyone! I''ll be investing in some triangle ones and letting him take out the play dough more. I'm totally not pushing him, just to clarify. He is the one trying and getting frustrated so I just want to help him develop and be pleased with his coloring
Reply Up