Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pen Pals?
NoMoreJuice! 06:55 AM 04-13-2016
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in exchanging pen pal letters between school age kids this summer? I want to keep the kids busy writing, and it might be fun for them to learn about different places other kids live.

I have the following kids:
5 year old boy
6 year old girl
6 year old girl
7 year old boy
8 year old boy
10 year old girl

Last summer we tried to get international pen pals, but I paid $60 and never got a single reply.
Thriftylady 06:57 AM 04-13-2016
Great idea! I have a just turned 5 boy that isn't writing words really yet, but maybe he could participate.

I also have three girls 6,7,8 one kindy two first grade.
childcaremom 06:58 AM 04-13-2016
We are in Canada.... but it shouldn't cost too much to send a letter.

My own children are school aged. Girls ages 8 and 10. They would probably enjoy it.
Blackcat31 07:25 AM 04-13-2016
We did this a few years ago with great success!

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...hlight=Penpals

Fun way to get to know other areas of the country and other "classrooms"
Thriftylady 08:01 AM 04-13-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
We are in Canada.... but it shouldn't cost too much to send a letter.

My own children are school aged. Girls ages 8 and 10. They would probably enjoy it.
We would be happy to send to Canada and I sure others would also. I don't see it being an issue.

ETA I am sure postage for this would be a tax deduction anyway, because it is an activity for the kids.
LittleScholars 08:04 AM 04-13-2016
I would love to do this! I have a 5 year old girl writing quite well that would really enjoy this.
LindseyA 08:35 AM 04-13-2016
We would love to as well!
10 yo boy
9 yo girl
7 yo boy
7 yo girl

Everyone else would be too small
Thriftylady 08:44 AM 04-13-2016
Originally Posted by LindseyA:
We would love to as well!
10 yo boy
9 yo girl
7 yo boy
7 yo girl

Everyone else would be too small
I wonder if the ones that can't write could draw a picture of an activity we did or something and we providers could just write on it what it is a picture of? Just thinking out loud since all kids love to get mail.
wonderfullisa 09:47 AM 04-13-2016
I would also love to participate!
We have
3.5yo boy (pics, not words)
5yo girl
two 8yo girls
two 9yo girls
10yo girl
KIDZRMYBIZ 10:24 AM 04-13-2016
I have a:

10yo boy
5yo girl (can read and write pretty well. Amazing girl!)

Then if someone wanted to do it with some younger ones, I would, too! I have 2 3yo boys that would love to participate!

Just tell me what to do to get started!
Blackcat31 11:05 AM 04-13-2016
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:

Just tell me what to do to get started!
What we did the last time was had one person be the "organizer".

Everyone PM'ed that person the ages of their DCK's and their contact info (name/address) and the organizer then paired each daycare up with another that had similar aged kids and lived far enough apart that it would be interesting to write back and forth with each other (more stuff to learn).

You ladies can obviously do things however it works best for you all but just thought I'd share how we worked it out the last time.
Thriftylady 11:08 AM 04-13-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
What we did the last time was had one person be the "organizer".

Everyone PM'ed that person the ages of their DCK's and their contact info (name/address) and the organizer then paired each daycare up with another that had similar aged kids and lived far enough apart that it would be interesting to write back and forth with each other (more stuff to learn).

You ladies can obviously do things however it works best for you all but just thought I'd share how we worked it out the last time.
Well if anyone is interested, I would be willing to be the "organizer". Unless the OP wants to do it since it was her idea. I think if we did it that way, we would need to allow time for everyone who wanted to sign up. Not sure how long we should allow for that, knowing that we can't all get here daily to check things!
NoMoreJuice! 03:03 PM 04-13-2016
Hey ThriftyLady, I would be so thrilled if you would be willing to take that on! Maybe the end date for sign up can be mid May?
Thriftylady 03:20 PM 04-13-2016
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
Hey ThriftyLady, I would be so thrilled if you would be willing to take that on! Maybe the end date for sign up can be mid May?

Okay a couple of questions before we start!

I am going to suggest that once we match people up, we give each child another child around the same sex and age each other's first name. As much as possible I would set up whole daycare's. So if each had three five year olds I would match them up. My suggestion would be let the kids put in an envelope and then we can put those in a bigger envie and send it all at once, to save postage. At the other end, each child would still have one to open. Is this okay with everyone, or does someone have a better idea?

Next question. Do we want the younger group to do pictures to each other? I suppose each provider could make this choice, you would just have to let me know in the PM what you would like to do.

Any other suggestions, thoughts, ideas before we started would be welcomed!
childcaremom 04:33 PM 04-13-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:

I am going to suggest that once we match people up, we give each child another child around the same sex and age each other's first name. As much as possible I would set up whole daycare's. So if each had three five year olds I would match them up. My suggestion would be let the kids put in an envelope and then we can put those in a bigger envie and send it all at once, to save postage. At the other end, each child would still have one to open. Is this okay with everyone, or does someone have a better idea?

Next question. Do we want the younger group to do pictures to each other? I suppose each provider could make this choice, you would just have to let me know in the PM what you would like to do.

It will be just my own school agers as my dcks are all quite young (like 1 yos). But I talked to my girls and they are happy to do it.
Josiegirl 02:40 AM 04-14-2016
I'm interested but am wondering how often we'd correspond? Knowing my lack of follow through at times I don't want to let anybody down if we had to write letters every week; but who knows, maybe this would spur my group on! Between my procrastination and dcks reluctance to do something that seemed like school work KWIM? Lol. So while I'm being completely honest I am really interested!

This summer I'll have:
1-2 yo girl
1-3 yo girl
2- 4 yo girls
1-5 yo girl
1-7 yo girl
1-8 yo boy
1-9 yo girl
and a baby which I won't include.

Maybe I can dedicate one afternoon a week for the older ones to sit and write and the 5 yo loves drawing/stickers. And the 2, 3, 4 yos love to draw too.
Ok, I'm in. Honest. Just let me know what to do.
Josiegirl 02:42 AM 04-14-2016

How did they do it last time and does BC have any advice? Could we include other small things as well?
I remember having many penpals as a young teen. I still remember one particular girl's address even after 50 yrs.; it was one of my fav memories of childhood, receiving letters, etc.
wonderfullisa 03:11 AM 04-14-2016
I picture it as a once or twice a month activity.

Of course, I am biased, because I have some every-other-weekend kids who would really enjoy this.
Thriftylady 05:13 AM 04-14-2016
I think every other week is fine, less often would be okay also I think. Really that could be worked out between partners I think. That way each set of providers could do what works for them.

As far as can you send other things, I don't see why not. There are no real rules that I can see. Except to send as you agree with your partner. I think it would be much easier to do it that way, instead of it being micromanaged by someone else!
Thriftylady 07:33 AM 04-14-2016
Okay, I am starting a list for this so I can match up providers. If you want in, PM me your childrens first names and ages, and your daycare address. I will try to match people up that aren't really close to each other, so they can compare things like climate if they choose. Some providers with more children may have to have two sets, to match everyone up, but we will see what we can work out!
childcaremom 08:40 AM 04-14-2016
Pm sent

My girls are pretty excited. So am I.
Thriftylady 10:41 AM 04-14-2016
So far we have three providers on the list. Well four my kiddos wanna do it too! So keep letting me know if you want in!
Josiegirl 10:56 AM 04-14-2016
So far we have three providers on the list. Well four my kiddos wanna do it too! So keep letting me know if you want in!
Oh dang it, I pmed you the ages and address but not the dcks' first names. Off I go again.
Former Teacher 10:58 AM 04-14-2016
I am a nanny to 2 (twins) almost 4 year old boys and I think they would love this!

Can I still join?
Thriftylady 11:08 AM 04-14-2016
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
I am a nanny to 2 (twins) almost 4 year old boys and I think they would love this!

Can I still join?
I don't see a reason to exclude anyone.
Thriftylady 10:20 AM 04-16-2016
Okay anyone who wants to do this and has not signed up please PM me. And I know some of you would like to send every two weeks, I have at least one person who would like to send weekly. Could everyone let me know what they prefer so I can try to get everyone matched up appropriately?
Josiegirl 03:40 PM 04-16-2016
Okay anyone who wants to do this and has not signed up please PM me. And I know some of you would like to send every two weeks, I have at least one person who would like to send weekly. Could everyone let me know what they prefer so I can try to get everyone matched up appropriately?
I wish I could commit to every week but I doubt I'll be able to do that so if anybody is okay with every 2 weeks....?
Forgot to ask when would this start? I know some schools get out pretty early for the summer but here it's almost mid-June.
Thriftylady 03:44 PM 04-16-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I wish I could commit to every week but I doubt I'll be able to do that so if anybody is okay with every 2 weeks....?
Forgot to ask when would this start? I know some schools get out pretty early for the summer but here it's almost mid-June.
Well I hadn't considered when schools get out. Maybe we should post that also! I know the ones that get out later usually start later. We get out in may but usually start sometime around the 12-15th of August here.
Former Teacher 05:03 PM 04-16-2016
I sent you a PM Thrifty!
childcaremom 09:32 AM 04-17-2016
My girls are in school until the end of June and don't go back until September. But we can start anytime.
wonderfullisa 11:13 AM 04-18-2016
Messaging you! Wasn't on for a few days.
Thriftylady 04:49 AM 04-23-2016
Okay I am putting out a last call of sorts. I will be printing my list and trying to match up very soon. After that, you could still sign up, but I would likely have a hard time finding a match. So PM now if you want to join in!

If you haven't already, let me know how often you would like to send, when your school lets out and starts again. You can do that either here on this thread or by PM, either way.
Josiegirl 05:17 AM 04-23-2016
Okay I am putting out a last call of sorts. I will be printing my list and trying to match up very soon. After that, you could still sign up, but I would likely have a hard time finding a match. So PM now if you want to join in!

If you haven't already, let me know how often you would like to send, when your school lets out and starts again. You can do that either here on this thread or by PM, either way.
I'd prefer every other week but will do weekly, my summer kids will start the week of June 20th and usually start back the week before Labor Day(or maybe a bit earlier, not sure)
Thanks Thrifty!!
childcaremom 06:54 AM 04-23-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
My girls are in school until the end of June and don't go back until September. But we can start anytime.
I'll also add that we will probably aim for every week but end up every second.

I think we are going to get a map to 'see' where our pen pals are. Sort of adding on to the other thread about travelling the world. Learn about where they are, etc.
LindseyA 04:13 AM 04-25-2016
School gets out in mid June and starts back up in September here. We are flexible with how much we write
Thriftylady 06:49 AM 04-27-2016
I am matching people up, so if anyone hasn't signed up and wants to, now is the time. As of right now, I am short 4 young kiddos to send pictures and maybe be scribed for.

If anyone wants to be added, now is the time! I am not excluding anyone or any age.
Thriftylady 05:00 AM 05-02-2016
Okay, I am going to cut off sign up for this on 5/5/16.

Luvnmykidz, Please send me your mailing address so I can finish matching you up!
hottie8962 09:12 PM 05-03-2016
If u still need people i could sign up 3 1/2 year old boy ,5 year old boy,6 year old boy,6 year old boy, 7 year old boy,7 year old girl and everyone else is to young.
Thriftylady 08:32 AM 05-05-2016
Originally Posted by hottie8962:
If u still need people i could sign up 3 1/2 year old boy ,5 year old boy,6 year old boy,6 year old boy, 7 year old boy,7 year old girl and everyone else is to young.
I sent you a PM, I am trying to match you up. I need the names of the children (matched up with ages please) and the mailing address.
Thriftylady 08:35 AM 05-05-2016
For the rest of you....

I have matches mostly made. Some of you will have more than one provider to pen pal with, just due to the way the number of children and ages matched up. As soon as I get things finalized, I will be sending you PMS with information on your pen pals. It will then be up to you to contact that provider(s) to work out the finer details on how you would like to proceed.

Please if you signed up, follow through with this, as the children are probably looking forward to getting mail, and we don't want to upset them! Also if any of you have teen children who would like to participate let me know. I have one person right now who mentioned this and I see no reason why provider's children can't do this also if they would like. Since they will be older once I match them up, they can do their own thing I guess!
Thriftylady 02:08 PM 05-10-2016
Okay! Everyone who signed up should have gotten a PM. If you have questions or if I missed a child let me know. Other than that please get with your partner provider(s) in order to decide how often to send, when to start and stop and such.

If you send treats or gifts, please either talk to your partner or send enough for their whole group, we don't want upset kiddos! I am sure you can find ways around that though!

Most of all, have fun! Send homemade cards, letters, pictures you color whatever you want! The only rules are those that you and your partner(s) make! If you decide to go past summer, that is fine also. I am just getting everyone started! Make your own rules, or have none at all!
Tags:pen pals
Reply Up