Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Rights Within Public Day Care
Clayton 11:46 AM 05-22-2014
So we have a two year old boy who has gone to daycare at the same place since month 4 of his life. My wife works per-diem at the facility which is a nursing home as well, because of this we get 1/2 price. This is an officially licensed day care. We are pregnant with our second child due at the end of Sept and when we asked about putting our newest addition on the waiting list, the director said "they are closed to new enrollment". Since then I have found out that they have accepted two other newborns into the program. I feel that we are being discriminated against due to the amount of money we pay, do we have any rights in this situation?

Any help would be appreciated.
Blackcat31 12:02 PM 05-22-2014
Originally Posted by Clayton:
So we have a two year old boy who has gone to daycare at the same place since month 4 of his life. My wife works per-diem at the facility which is a nursing home as well, because of this we get 1/2 price. This is an officially licensed day care. We are pregnant with our second child due at the end of Sept and when we asked about putting our newest addition on the waiting list, the director said "they are closed to new enrollment". Since then I have found out that they have accepted two other newborns into the program. I feel that we are being discriminated against due to the amount of money we pay, do we have any rights in this situation?

I'm sorry you are having trouble with the center you use.

Are you in the U.S or Canada?

The other infants could already have been "enrolled" depending on how your center does things. Or they could already have been born. Depends on how the center operates.

Also, maybe the fact that you receive a discount due to your wife being employed there, the child care is unable to financially take on an infant that isn't paying full price.

Have you asked the Director why other infants were accepted?

Also, I am not understanding what type of rights you are looking for as you can't force someone to take your child so I don't see what rights are in question.
Unregistered 10:08 AM 05-23-2014
Well.. to find out if they are just telling you that.. Get a friend to try and enroll their "newborn" for the same time paying full price and see what they are told.
craftymissbeth 10:22 AM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by Clayton:

Sorry you're going through this. It's got to be tough to be settled in a child care and then find out they aren't enrolling your next child. Congrats on the new baby, by the way.

But, in regards to the bolded above, I don't believe it would be considered discrimination to turn you away based on how much your weekly rate is.

Have you tried asking them why they are not adding to their infant wait list? If they do say it's because they cannot afford two half priced children, then perhaps offering to pay the full rate will help.
Meeko 01:11 PM 05-23-2014
It could just be that the two accepted infants were on the waiting list before you. Places became available and so they got them. Now they are not accepting anymore at this time.
saved4always 12:58 PM 05-26-2014
Could it be that they are closed to enrolling anymore discounted children at this time? There could be a policy that only so many spots are discounted. I know our church's daycare is only supposed to take on a certain percentage in discounted children. If they take more than that, they cannot meet their budget for payroll, etc. and the daycare would have to close.
Reply Up