Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Feeling Burnt Out Already :(
Unregistered 01:08 PM 08-20-2015
I've been running an in-home daycare (licensed) for only what seems like a very short while now and I already feel burned out. I decided to open a daycare to stay home with my own kids (7m and 2yrs) it was extremely hard to find affordable child care and I couldn't find a job that would pay me enough to make it worth paying for them to be in daycare but at the same time, I needed money. I made some really poor financial decisions in the past and I've been using pretty much ALL of my income to pay back the debt. I still have quite a ways to go but I feel SO OVER this. I take care of my own two kids and three others all between 2 and 4yrs. Im open from 6:00 to 6:00pm. I love the kids I really do (the parents not so much) but I feel so tired all the time now. I can barely bring myself to get out of bed in the morning without crying knowing that I have the kids coming in. I count down the days till the weekend. My husband alone doesn't make enough to cover usual bills and my debt.

I just really need some ideas to help me feel better.
Unregistered 01:20 PM 08-20-2015
Maybe change your hours? I went from 7-6 to 730-530. Helped me
Baby Beluga 01:23 PM 08-20-2015
I'm sorry you feel burned out, we all understand how you feel.

Are you able to shorten your open hours some? I would start there first. Even cutting your hours by 1/2 an hour each day makes a huge difference.

You said most of your income is going toward paying off your debt - that is great that you have the opportunity to pay off your debt. Would a visual reminder of why you have a daycare help to ease the stress a bit? Maybe a simple chart showing how much you have already paid off.
childcaremom 03:24 PM 08-20-2015
It can be hard. Esp. when you have your own young ones, too.

Some things that helped me:
*shorter hours (that is a super long day!) Keep advertising to find families that fit better hours for you
*replacing problem parents/dcks (helps more than you realize. It only takes one bad apple to spoil the whole thing)
*taking time for myself (I get up super early and go for a walk and do yoga)
*eat healthy
*get enough sleep

Hope that helps! And it helps to vent here
littletots 04:05 PM 08-20-2015
We all have low energy days. Like others said shorten your hours, get up early & force yourself to exercise, eat healthy, drink lots of water, vent/talk. It will all come together. I changed my hours from 7a-5p to 830a - 5p. I'm full, mid/high end rate, parents all value my program. You can do it.
rosieteddy 05:41 AM 08-21-2015
I would definately change your hours.I ran a full daycare for years 8;00am-5;30pm.Parents figured out pick up and drop off.I found when I opened earlier they sent them for conveince,not need.I also changed my meal schedule.All children were fed breakfast at home with their parent/family.Then I served a breakfast snack at 9;30 (fruit ,grain, milk)This would give you 2 extra hours to get yourself and your children ready for the day. This is a perfect time to institute a new contract with new hours.I would spin it as better for the children.Children should not be in daycare for 12 hours. I would tell parents studies have shown less time to be benificial.Also starting the day with breakfast at home is a proven benifit to the family.You can make this work ,we all have found ways to change our programs to fit our families.Good luck Nan
LovetheSun 01:01 PM 08-21-2015
I would definitely change the hours (maybe 7.30 to 6?). Even if you make a little less, is worth it.

That will allow you to start your day with some time for yourself.

If you are tight on money and you are afraid the parents will leave once they found out, you can start interviews now and tell the parents visiting that they might be open spaces and you will let them know in two weeks.

Then if the parents you have now give you two weeks notice that they are leaving , you already have some back ups.

Also, by reducing the hours, if some parents need an extra 30min you can do so (for an extra charge) and you might end up about couple kids staying longer but is less tiring than a full house.

*To make as much as you do now with reduced hours I will create a program that family will like to pay more for, by doing daily craft or if right now you allow TV time you can't take that off (I notice a lot of parents in our area are interested by a tv free daycare)*
Laurel 02:40 PM 08-21-2015
I agree those hours are too many. Cut hours if you can.

Can you afford a little help? Even part time. I had a neighborhood girl for a few years who just came for about 3 hours twice a week and it felt like a big break. She was only 12 when she started (home schooled child) but she was 12 going on 20. Can a relative watch your two once in a while to give you a break?

Are you maybe overdoing things? Simplify. Go over your program to see if you have things you could do differently. Could you make less elaborate crafts and just let them color or cut sometimes? Could you make simpler meals? How about extending nap time a half hour and use that time for you. When I would get burnt out I'd simplify and call it 'back to basics'.

Could you get a free weekend or at least one day of the weekend from your own kids? Let dad or grandma take over while you sleep in or have a day for yourself. Just something to look forward to sometimes helps. Also let dad take over some household chores like laundry.

Laurel
Nisaryn 02:44 PM 08-22-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I'm sorry you feel burned out, we all understand how you feel.

Are you able to shorten your open hours some? I would start there first. Even cutting your hours by 1/2 an hour each day makes a huge difference.

You said most of your income is going toward paying off your debt - that is great that you have the opportunity to pay off your debt. Would a visual reminder of why you have a daycare help to ease the stress a bit? Maybe a simple chart showing how much you have already paid off.
I second this suggestions! I started my daycare so I could be at home with my son but it's also helped out with some dept and I like to post reminders to myself and what I have payed off (rather than what I still owe). You should probably also try shortening your hours as many have suggested or perhaps take a day off and treat yourself to a nice spa day.
Josiegirl 04:23 PM 08-22-2015
How long have you been doing daycare? Maybe it's time for a vacation or even an extra long weekend?
And definitely cut down those hours!! I couldn't imagine working 12 hour days all week. I'm open 7-5 and that's enough for me because I still find myself working before/after work. Daycare usually isn't a job you can leave at the office. We tend to carry it on our shoulders most everywhere we go. So if you could possibly cut hours off one end or the other that'd be a start. Is there 1 dck that really makes the group difficult? Is it a certain dcparent that rattles your chains? Find out if something you can change about your job might make you enjoy it a little better.
I have been doing this over 30 years but I can remember days I felt just like you do. I wanted to be done with dc so badly. I'd cry. Get bit@hy and crabby. It was so difficult when my own kids were little; it was the worst time. Other people's kids demanded me all day long, and it seemed as if I didn't have the energy, time, joy left at the end of the day to be with my own.
Different now, I have to work to support myself and no wee ones of my own at home. I enjoy daycare(for the most part)
Try to zero in on what's making dc difficult and if you can change it, then do it. Find support in your community too. Are there networking groups you can meet with? Is there a resource person available? Those earlier years when I was going through he!! there was very little support. We were on our own. Now with all the help and support locally(plus this place!!), it's sooo much better!
Unregistered 11:42 PM 08-22-2015
I've only been doing daycare for about 5 months now, I have to open from 6am to 6pm because it was the only way I could get parents to come. Everyone I spoke with needed earlier or later hours. I have one parent that has their kid with me from right at 6 to 6 on the dot because she is a nurse in ER. Some kids arrive earlier than others and some leave later than others but by the end of the day I'm JUST. SO. TIRED! I can't hire any help because I need the money to pay off my bills and I don't want to have to pay for them on top of that. I have NO family nearby as we moved away and none of them could come without driving at least 3hrs or more. I'm afraid that if I change my daycare hours all the families will leave since there are cheaper places nearby that offer the same hours, they said they chose me because they liked that I was more "motherly" than the other people were.

I just feel so very sad because I so wanted this to work, I worked in a center several years ago and loved it! I was teaching before I had my two kids and loved that as well....I guess I just imagined something different. :/
Play Care 06:35 AM 08-23-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I've only been doing daycare for about 5 months now, I have to open from 6am to 6pm because it was the only way I could get parents to come. Everyone I spoke with needed earlier or later hours. I have one parent that has their kid with me from right at 6 to 6 on the dot because she is a nurse in ER. Some kids arrive earlier than others and some leave later than others but by the end of the day I'm JUST. SO. TIRED! I can't hire any help because I need the money to pay off my bills and I don't want to have to pay for them on top of that. I have NO family nearby as we moved away and none of them could come without driving at least 3hrs or more. I'm afraid that if I change my daycare hours all the families will leave since there are cheaper places nearby that offer the same hours, they said they chose me because they liked that I was more "motherly" than the other people were.

I just feel so very sad because I so wanted this to work, I worked in a center several years ago and loved it! I was teaching before I had my two kids and loved that as well....I guess I just imagined something different. :/
I'm sorry!

The thing with in home day care is that some areas are ripe for it and others, not so much. In addition having to "go to work" each day with your own children present is HARD! My own kids are older (School aged) and not in my day care mostly. But on the days they are home, my work load increases tenfold.

If you need the $, maybe doing some casual babysitting a few days a week rather than full day child care? Or getting a PT job around your husband's schedule (I personally think this is the best senerio as hubby's of WAHM/SAHM's tend to get "lazy" with child care/housework )
Hope you are able to find something that better suits you and your family!
Laurel 07:41 AM 08-23-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

It may not be the case with your parents but it is worth mentioning. You could tell parents you won't open until 7 a.m. and will close at 5:30 (for example) and any time before or after those times will be available (if that is okay with you) for an extra charge. A lot of times when they are faced with paying more they all of a sudden are able to change their times.

Laurel
Tags:burnt out
Reply Up