Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infants...
TBB 10:34 AM 03-15-2011
I am a new home provider, but I have been in child care for over 20 years. My situation is that I have 4 toddlers and a 7 month old and another one on the way that will be about 6 wks old when he begins. The toddlers are fine-I can handle them with no problem. The problem is the 7 month old-he fights his sleep terribly!! I don't know what to do! I am only using two rooms-the playroom and our living room as areas for the children (and of course, bathroom and kitchen/dining room) It isn't fair for the toddlers to have to keep quieter (which doesn't happen) when the 7 month old is needing to nap and it isn't fair to the 7 mth old that he can't sleep (WHEN he does) because they are too noisy. This 7 month old is on NO schedule whatsoever. That is also hard for me because our daughter was always on a schedule. I am new at keeping infants-I don't know if it's a situation where: "sorry, that's just the way it is, so suck it up" or if I am really doing something wrong. I've always thought that babies and all children NEED to be on some sort of a schedule. Please help! I'm trying my best and all I can think about is what is going to happen when the NEW baby begins!!!??? His mom says he's a SCREAMER!! All I can think of is that maybe this was a mistake to start a home center. Or at least keeping infants was a mistake-but what can I do about it now!!?? ANY suggestions/advice will be HIGHLY appreciated...and PRAYERS! Thank you so much!
Little People 10:45 AM 03-15-2011
Welcome!! I will send you a pm
DCMomOf3 10:45 AM 03-15-2011
Welcome!

First, I advise you to find a room where the babies can sleep, set up Pack-n-plays in your master br, or something.

Are the parent ok with you trying CIO with him? He is old enough.

I would start a schedule. Figure out when he first starts acting tired (Crying, etc), note the time, and put him down in the other room for an hour, or 1.5 hours. Make sure he is dry, fed, clean, and safe. Also, put on white noise or soft music for him (i prefer classical) to help drown out the play noises.

Same goes for afternoon nap, when he is acting tired, note the time, and do the same as you did for morning nap but make it 2 - 2.5 hours.

You can then go off of the times he told you he is tired to start his own schedule.

Maybe others have different ideas, but this is mine.
Blackcat31 10:46 AM 03-15-2011
I do not mean this rudely but you are saying you will have 4 toddlers and 2 infants by yourself? That is alot of littles....it becomes a problem for napping, routine and consistency because although kids should be on a schedule, the ones under 2 are being taught that and it is a process not necessarily a given that they will all adapt to a routine easily.

In my honest opinion, you can keep trying to get them all to be on a schedule but as soon as you think you've got it down, being that they are all under 2, one of them is sure to have a new tooth, sleep issues, an ear infection, diet change, nap change etc etc etc......

I honestly think the only way you can have a schedule that is fool proof is not to have so many littles under 2.
Cat Herder 12:05 PM 03-15-2011
I have 6 kids ages 2 and under and we have to stay in the same room.

I use white noise cd's, a box fan and turn the lights down...

It usually takes me about a week to get a new little in the groove (occasionally more)...but it is just by doing the exact same routine everyday...

No words, just action (if they get up, I calmly lay them down, etc) There is no yelling here.

When I see them start to get upset I get over there quick to solve whatever issue I can spot...no words. I just have to figure out their cues, YKWIM?

No magic, no discipline...just full bellies, soft sheets, quiet and luck?

I have two awake, now , quietly rolling around a bit with the rest not too far behind... They just look over, see me and hang out until the fan is turned off. THAT is the jump up signal, here. Nap is over in 5 minutes

I do wish you the best...
youretooloud 12:19 PM 03-15-2011
It is doable.. I can get even the newborns on a schedule. But, the 7 month old might really need a room of his own to nap in. It's not easy for a nosey baby to sleep when the others are playing and having fun. Even a seven month old just wants to play too.

Is there any other room he can sleep in? I've even used a walk in closet before. But, that closet was empty, and 10X10. (the previous owners must have had a lot of clothes)

I also LOVE baby carriers. They are my most important baby item. http://www.attachedtobaby.com/ That way, you can carry an infant while still doing everything else you normally would do. The baby can also sleep like that for a while, so you could put the 7 month old in it for a morning power nap, and by the afternoon nap, he's ready for a really good long nap.

BTW, I have never bought a new baby carrier.. I always buy them used, otherwise it's too expensive. If you can sew, they are very easy to make too.
Tags:infant care, infants
Reply Up