Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can't We Just Enjoy Some Adult Conversation?
TBird 05:40 AM 07-14-2011
Please don't think I'm ungrateful guys but when I take my DCK's to the playground and meet a Stay-at-home-mom there with her child, sometimes I really just want to enjoy some conversation and the beautiful day. I don't always want to talk about my daycare or how it is I'm able to "do what I do". I love the compliments on how well-behaved the kids are, etc. but obviously you stay at home with your child so you don't really need my services....how about we talk about something else???

But alas....the conversation always winds up on "Do you take kids part time? I may need someone to watch Little Johnny and give me a break sometimes." Then I get the awkward look when I say "No, I don't do part time care." It's at that point that they either think I'm a greedy snob or I just don't want Little Johnny in my program. Neither of which is ever true (unless Little Johnny is a little hellion of course).

Don't get me wrong....I totally love word-of-mouth, marketing my business, meeting new people, and feeling like what I do is admired by someone. This is how I get clients most of the time. I'm just saying that there are some days I'd like to sit on a park bench, feel the breeze on my skin, and chit chat about nothin'!
dEHmom 05:51 AM 07-14-2011
I agree. Thats why I come here to daycare.com. Even though there is ALOT of daycare related stuff, it's nice to be able to chit chat about everything. Hence the number of posts I have. I'm a talker lol.

I'm very shy, but sometimes my shyness causes me to talk too much.
DCMom 06:47 AM 07-14-2011
I was just thinking the same thing! Yesterday I took the kids to the park (all 10 of them, plus the dog!) and there were two sahm's there each with one child.

They hovered over them as though my dck's would tackle them or give them a disease, the whole time looking at me out of the corner of their eye like I was some sort of crazy person!

Whatever. By the end of the hour we were there, one mom had left (overwhelmed by the number of kids I think) and the other little girl was sitting with my dck's playing with our sand toys, sharing our snack and having me pushing her on the swing while her mom sat on the bench talking on her phone. She couldn't come over and just chat with me?

Probably the best time that little girl has had at the park in a long time
laundrymom 10:01 AM 07-14-2011
I get the same reactions as you ladies. When walking I had a cop pull up beside me, had a report of " a bunch of children " walking down the street without supervision. Cop sees me, my 10 dayfriends, 6 in the stroller, 4 walking, holding onto their walking handles, my two girls, and the dog. He shook his head, told the kids to behave , told me I was absolutely crazy, asked for my card ( his wife is 6 weeks preg) and drove off. Lol. Of course the older friends all told mom and dad we got pulled over on the way to the park and the occifer ( officer ) said I was crazy,.... Lolol
MarinaVanessa 10:06 AM 07-14-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Cop sees me, my 10 dayfriends, 6 in the stroller, 4 walking, holding onto their walking handles, my two girls, and the dog. He shook his head, told the kids to behave , told me I was absolutely crazy, asked for my card ( his wife is 6 weeks preg) and drove off. Lol. Of course the older friends all told mom and dad we got pulled over on the way to the park and the occifer ( officer ) said I was crazy,.... Lolol

SilverSabre25 10:13 AM 07-14-2011
okay, here's some adult conversation! Today's Cake Wrecks post. heh heh.

laundrymom, that's an awesome story. It would be great if you actually got the officer as a client! TOO FUNNY.
Auntie 10:14 AM 07-14-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
Please don't think I'm ungrateful guys but when I take my DCK's to the playground and meet a Stay-at-home-mom there with her child, sometimes I really just want to enjoy some conversation and the beautiful day. I don't always want to talk about my daycare or how it is I'm able to "do what I do". I love the compliments on how well-behaved the kids are, etc. but obviously you stay at home with your child so you don't really need my services....how about we talk about something else???

But alas....the conversation always winds up on "Do you take kids part time? I may need someone to watch Little Johnny and give me a break sometimes." Then I get the awkward look when I say "No, I don't do part time care." It's at that point that they either think I'm a greedy snob or I just don't want Little Johnny in my program. Neither of which is ever true (unless Little Johnny is a little hellion of course).

Don't get me wrong....I totally love word-of-mouth, marketing my business, meeting new people, and feeling like what I do is admired by someone. This is how I get clients most of the time. I'm just saying that there are some days I'd like to sit on a park bench, feel the breeze on my skin, and chit chat about nothin'!
I totally agree with you.
laundrymom 10:24 AM 07-14-2011
Originally Posted by Aileen DeRan:
okay, here's some adult conversation! Today's Cake Wrecks post. heh heh.

laundrymom, that's an awesome story. It would be great if you actually got the officer as a client! TOO FUNNY.
Lol. I told him to call me when she was closer, but that currently I'm full until march of 2013. Lol
PeanutsGalore 10:31 AM 07-14-2011
I get the same reactions as you ladies. When walking I had a cop pull up beside me, had a report of " a bunch of children " walking down the street without supervision. Cop sees me, my 10 dayfriends, 6 in the stroller, 4 walking, holding onto their walking handles, my two girls, and the dog. He shook his head, told the kids to behave , told me I was absolutely crazy, asked for my card ( his wife is 6 weeks preg) and drove off. Lol. Of course the older friends all told mom and dad we got pulled over on the way to the park and the occifer ( officer ) said I was crazy,.... Lolol
You ARE crazy!!! Great story!
TBird 10:46 AM 07-14-2011
OMG, TOO FUNNY!!!

Plus I gotta figure out where/how to get one of those 6 seater strollers without mortgaging my house to get one!!!
laundrymom 10:57 AM 07-14-2011
OMG, TOO FUNNY!!!

Plus I gotta figure out where/how to get one of those 6 seater strollers without mortgaging my house to get one!!!
Lol I saved for years! L
SimpleMom 11:06 AM 07-14-2011
OMG, TOO FUNNY!!!

Can you get part of it paid with a state grant? We have that here. I may do the same!! I've been thinking about it, those 6 seaters are GREAT!!
TBird 11:18 AM 07-14-2011
Originally Posted by SimpleMom:
Can you get part of it paid with a state grant? We have that here. I may do the same!! I've been thinking about it, those 6 seaters are GREAT!!
I'm gonna ask and find out! I believe it's a $500 grant, but it's just so hard to figure out what to spend it on...you know $500 these days...
laundrymom 11:56 AM 07-14-2011
What are some things others urge the conversation towards if this happens? I try to talk pets, food, ANYTHING but work.
Gigi 06:34 AM 09-26-2011
I'm a stay at home mom and I crave for adult conversation so much. I think DC mom's just ask how your day was like and how work is - because they cannot imagine how YOU DO IT.

But from your end, I think it would be good if you initiate the conversation and veer it AWAY from anything daycare related.
Heidi 12:08 PM 09-26-2011
Just bought one on Craigslist for $300! I heard a friend-of-friend scored one for $80 there. I didn't have such amazing luck, but I'm happy with it anyway!
Tags:burnt out, parents - enquiring
Reply Up