Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Mother Needeing Advice
Unregistered 12:48 PM 01-27-2008
Recently, I received a call at work from an assistant to the Director/ Owner of our daycare, saying she just wanted to give me a "heads up" on what was going on for that day. She began to tell me that my son "just wasn't acting like himself" all day (this was around 1:30 pm), he was the first one on the cot for nap and he had just woke up crying hesterically. He didn't appear to have a temperature, it was inly 99.6. They were trying to comfort him and just couldn't get him to stop crying. I decided to go to the daycare to check him out. Once I arrived, only minutes later, he was sitting on his cot "shaking". His teacher told me he was saying that his belly hurt. I immediately picked him up and smelled feces. He was saying hurt, but, not his belly, just that it hurt. I took him out of the class and checked his pullup, it was full of feces and urine. As I tried to clean him up, he began gaurding that area and didn't want me to clean it. It staRTING BECOMING VERY OBVIOUS TO ME THE PROBLEM WAS THE PULL-UP FULL OF FECES AND URINE HAD BEEN ON THERE A LONG TIME AND NOW HIS bottom was mascoriated (very red and burned). I was very upset, and immediately notified the person who had called me. She witnessed the pain my son was expeierncing and apoligized. My 2 year old son was in horrible pain from something that should have been found so simply. What happened to checking the pullups every 2 hours? Why was something so simple overlooked for so long? I'm not sure where to go from here, I need some advice.
dprice2652 07:00 AM 01-28-2008
I would advise you to start looking for another daycare because this is a symptom of a greater problem.
Checking the children q2hr is the Standard of Care that is a MUST in standard care. It also shows that there may be a lack of training on the staff.

Thanks
Unregistered 10:49 AM 01-28-2008
I just wanted to reply because I am upset that your child sat in his feces for so long. My daughter was just months old and I had her in a daycare that left her in a baby swing until I would come and feed her at my lunch hour and her diaper would just be full. I would suggest, you look into another child care! The way I came upon a remedy is I started my own daycare it was hard but well worth it knowing that I could be with my children and also there for mothers and fathers that were in fear of the same thing happening to their child(ren). I have since moved and my children are in school now but I wish you the best and I hope your child recovers from the neglect that the daycare inflicted upon him.
Ned 01:41 PM 01-28-2008
I am surprised parents are not calling and writing the state licensing agencies and filing a complaint. There are standards that must be kept and we as parents have an obligation to our children with the oversight of the state in making sure these facilities are caring for our children appropriately.
gingerbread 10:15 AM 01-29-2008
Unfortunately, I have heard of this more than once. Beyond the changing of the diaper/pull-up every two hours, what happened to the common sense of checking the diaper when a child is fussing? Or what about actually being close enough to your charges that you actually smell the issue? I just cannot believe the neglect that has happened here. And a huge part of it is the liberal ratios allowed in child care. How can one person be all things to that many children? I am so sorry your child went through this. I would file a formal complaint ASAP.
Unregistered 06:27 AM 02-20-2008
my little grandson (17mos) just had a bug that was going around. it came on in what seemed like hours. we didn't even know he felt bad. and he never really went down with it. he ran a little fever for a few minutes here and there, that's about it. now ~ his stool got pretty loose and would inflame his little bottom in MINUTES if we didn't catch it quickly enough. betcha he had a little bug. that would be more likely to make him lay down so easy than a dirty pullup. also, SURELY they had them go potty before naptime to keep from having to clean up multiple accidents and wet cots.
Unregistered 05:05 AM 02-23-2008
I think it probably does no good to report daycare centers to the licensing agencies. I know for a fact a small daycare in our area was reported for numorous violations. The agencies came into the facility and told the daycare owner every word that the person said that had reported her. The daycare owner told several people at the daycare that they had been reported for numorous violations. No one ever called any of the parents. The daycare owners was sort of offended that anyone would question their ability or authority. These agencies do not need to notifiy daycare centers when they are making inspections. I think the findings should be posted in the local newspapers. We need better laws enforcing daycare centers.

Several years ago I had worked in a daycare facility. I was very distraught over some of their practices and called the lady at our local agency she told me their were much worse daycares in the area and just practically told me to shut up and abide by their standards. Meaning the daycare)..well I did not shut up and eventually they were inspected nothing ever came of it though. So beware if you feel something is wrong their probably is!
Michael 07:11 AM 02-23-2008
That is not the norm. Which state was this agency in? They are not serving the public in the matter in which they were created. We would like to follow up on your comments.

Most states will shut down a daycare if a complaint warrants. A child’s safety is paramount to oversight by both parents and state agencies. Complaints that are filed also serve to notify parents of past infractions which may be minor but serve as a guidepost for both the daycare and the potential patient/client.
MLB 02:26 PM 03-19-2008
I am a director of a large center and that does not sound acceptable. You might want to look for other care if this is reoccurring. Everyone should be allowed one mistake, the key is, was anything done about it. I mean a teachers meeting, extra training or the teacher written up for documentation. There are regulations about changing diapers and potty time, if you do not feel these are followed, find alternative care. I am so sorry you had to experience that. Good Luck
Tags:child safety, cleanliness, dirty diapers, reporting - daycare, skipping diaper changes, violations
Reply Up