Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pick Ups
cara041083 12:29 PM 11-26-2013
How do you handle pickups where the parent stays and talks, and talks, and talks and before you know it 20 min has gone by and they are still wanting to chat? I will add its not about the kids its just chatting.
butterfly 12:35 PM 11-26-2013
Sometimes I welcome this, it's nice to get to talk to adults. If it becomes regular or annoying, I usually wait until the parent takes a breath and then I'll say to the child "well, Johnny, have a good night. I'll see you tomorrow." If I still have other kids there, I'll just excuse myself to take care of the kids.
CedarCreek 01:38 PM 11-26-2013
I meet parents at the door and I tell them a bit about the day and then I say "Okay see you tomorrow!"

And open the door. And wait for them to leave while I'm holding it open. I try not to give wordy parents too much choice in the matter.
Blackcat31 01:41 PM 11-26-2013
Originally Posted by cara041083:
How do you handle pickups where the parent stays and talks, and talks, and talks and before you know it 20 min has gone by and they are still wanting to chat? I will add its not about the kids its just chatting.
"Sally, I would love to chat more but unfortunately I am still on the clock. See you tomorrow" Then walk away.

or if they are the last parent to pick up just say something like "Sally, I'd love to chat but it's been a long day and I'd like to tend to my own family now. See you tomorrow!" Then walk away.

Sometimes it IS nice to chat with parents but other times I am simply not able to or willing to. Whatever words you choose to use, just say it with a smile.

Seems to work every time.
TwinKristi 01:42 PM 11-26-2013
I only have one who does it, it's the Nana, but sometimes it's nice to hear what she has to say because it's usually info Mom hasn't shared with me yet! LOL
cara041083 01:50 PM 11-26-2013
Thanks ladies. I have 2 parents, one will walk in and just sit down and start talking (sometimes hes even on his cell and will sit there while he talks) the other will just talk and talk. Both are dads and its not that I mind talking to them, but they both kinda drive me nuts lol. So I need a nice way to get them out the door
daycare 02:19 PM 11-26-2013
I handle it case by case.

It depends on what kids are still present and what else is going on.

I sometimes need that adult interaction and so I like to chit chat for a few. BUT if any of the kids start to act up, I will quickly say Looks like it's time for me to go, great chattin with ya, see you tomorrow.

If I don't have time to talk, I am quick to exchange the child over and walk out of site of the parent. This lets them know that I am not available to talk now.
melonieb 02:23 PM 11-26-2013
i chat with all my parents. i even walk them out to their vehicles. i like them to know what kind of day their child has had. i only have kids ages 8 months, 10 months, 20 months and 3 years, so none of the kids can tell their parents. my husband stays with the children while i walk the parents out. i also greet them when they pull up since its dark when they arrive. i havent had one parent not chat with either during drop off or pick up.
Tags:pick up, pick up - conversations, pick up tips
Reply Up