Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Drop in Family
284878 12:41 PM 07-02-2015
I interviewed with a drop in mom last week. I told her that I had Monday and Thursdays available for drop during the summer. She asked if she could come on Thursday (Today). I said yes that would work. I had no other kids today, which I did not tell her, but the contact does say to reserve hours and days. I emailed her my handbook and paperwork that night after interview.
I did not hear from her all week. I was up at 8 this morning, by 10:30 still no call, email or text. I went in to town at 10:45 to run some errands. My dad (he lives next door) calls and tells me that she is at my house. That was around 11:45. He talked to her and gave her my number. She just emailed me about 20 mins ago. Asking what happen.

Was it wrong of me not to wait all day?
What should I say to her about it?
Thriftylady 12:44 PM 07-02-2015
It depends. Did she have a time scheduled or did you tell her she needed to? If either answer is yes, you were in no way obligated to stay.

If the answer is no, well put in a policy you need advance notice of X hours or whatever to cover yourself next time.
MarinaVanessa 12:48 PM 07-02-2015
Not sure if it was wrong of you not to wait however I think that communication could have been handled better. She didn't know you didn't have other kids today and so she would have assumed that you'd be home all day. Did you give her a date/time to contact you and turn the paperwork in? Or did you just tell her she could give it to you when she dropped off? Did she schedule a drop off time with you?

At minimum I would have called her to ask her if she was coming afterall.
284878 01:08 PM 07-02-2015
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Not sure if it was wrong of you not to wait however I think that communication could have been handled better. She didn't know you didn't have other kids today and so she would have assumed that you'd be home all day. Did you give her a date/time to contact you and turn the paperwork in? Or did you just tell her she could give it to you when she dropped off? Did she schedule a drop off time with you?

At minimum I would have called her to ask her if she was coming afterall.
I totaled agree, I should of been more clear with her.

Contract says to reserve day and time 2 business days ahead of time. She asked if she could come Thursday but never gave a time.

I did put on the contact reserve day and time. So (my fault) I thought she would contact with a time and she never did, even after I sent my email.

She was to bring all paperwork at drop off.

I did not have her number, only an email.
AmyKidsCo 01:19 PM 07-02-2015
Well, looking on the bright side she probably learned that she's got to tell you a time!
Shell 01:29 PM 07-02-2015
If you operate during regular business hours, and she was planning for a typical type schedule, I wouldn't have waited either. I know some providers have a cut off time, also. There's no way I would have waited around, and if you did have kids and she showed up that late, she would be disrupting lunch or other activities.
I have a dcm like this- technically she's paying for 9-5, but rolling in at 1145, someday I might just not be home, too!
Leigh 02:38 PM 07-02-2015
I am guessing that she thought that the term "drop-in" meant drop off whenever she wanted. Seriously. Probably just a wrong assumption on her part. I don't think you're obligated to hang around all day, either, though. Did she mention a time for drop off when you interviewed?
Thriftylady 04:00 PM 07-02-2015
I guess it is a lesson learned. No big deal. Let everyone know from now on they have to let you know in advanced or no care!
Blackcat31 04:27 PM 07-02-2015
Originally Posted by 284878:
I interviewed with a drop in mom last week. I told her that I had Monday and Thursdays available for drop during the summer. She asked if she could come on Thursday (Today). I said yes that would work. I had no other kids today, which I did not tell her, but the contact does say to reserve hours and days. I emailed her my handbook and paperwork that night after interview.
I did not hear from her all week. I was up at 8 this morning, by 10:30 still no call, email or text. I went in to town at 10:45 to run some errands. My dad (he lives next door) calls and tells me that she is at my house. That was around 11:45. He talked to her and gave her my number. She just emailed me about 20 mins ago. Asking what happen.

Was it wrong of me not to wait all day?
What should I say to her about it?
I require drop in families to confirm times with me the day before.
284878 06:59 PM 07-02-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I require drop in families to confirm times with me the day before.
That is what I was thinking she would do. But like I said, I have not heard from hes since last week, no respond from my email. Part of me figured that she changed her mind and just did not want to say anything. (some people will avoid giving bad news.)
MarinaVanessa 07:00 PM 07-02-2015
That's a good point ... at least she'll know to confirm a time with you lol.

I say it's a little embarrassing for sure but it's a lapse that can be forgiven. Truth be told I would have left also. She's a drop-in client so no biggie, now you can make sure that she gives you a set date and time and remind her that if you don't have both you'll assume she doesn't need the reservation after all.
Tags:filling a spot, interview - late, interview - no show, no show
Reply Up