Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents, Would You Ask?
Miss A 10:47 AM 08-19-2016
This topic was brought up on a mom's forum I am part of, and I thought the answers were very interesting and diverse.

Question: as a parent, do you ask if the home your child is visiting (friend's home, grandparents, visiting family) has a firearm on the premises, and if they do, do you allow your child to visit that home?

My answer: In the rural Iowa county I live in, it is assumed and almost expected that every home has a gun on the premises, be it a CCP hand gun, or a hunting rifle. As a FTM who provides daycare in my home, I have 4 firearms on my property, all secured behind lock and key with a key I do not have access to during the day. All guns are stored unloaded, with safety on, and all ammo is kept in a separate secure lock box using a different key than the gun closet lock. While I disclose to parents that we have firearms on the premises, as I do not have access to them during the day I do not worry about children coming into contact with them during the day.

Growing up, my dad kept a loaded shotgun beneath his bed. He taught us all as young children that a gun was not to be played with, as it was not a toy. He taught us to respect the power of a gun, and to use it carefully, knowing the dangers it presented. Growing up, did we ever touch that gun without dad's permission? No, never. I believe the novelty of the gun was gone because we were instructed in gun safety measures, and we were aware of the dangers that playing with a gun presented not only to us but to all those who lived in our home.

I believe in teaching a child gun safety, even if you don't want your child to be near guns as it will help your child know what to do in a dangerous situation. If a child knows the dangers of a weapon, and understands the serious consequences, as well as knows what to do should they find their peers in possession a dangerous weapon, many accidental shootings that are happening so frequently could be cut back on.

What about you? Do you ask?
Leigh 11:32 AM 08-19-2016
I have asked. My son visits only 2 of his friends' homes, the rest visit at our home. One has no guns, one has their guns locked up (they're very cautious about safety). A local provider recently lost her license because a SA child found a loaded handgun in her home-that's one place that people don't think to ask...they assume daycare won't have such an issue, but it does happen. Many years ago (before children), we kept a loaded shotgun in our bedroom for coyotes and for my protection (I was home alone for much of the night). I'd NEVER have a loaded gun in my home, even in my safe, with a child in the house. Our guns have trigger locks, are locked in a safe, and the safe is in a locked room. Ammo is stored in a cabinet that we need a ladder to access, and that is locked, as well. I wish that everyone were so cautious, but they're just not.
Blackcat31 11:57 AM 08-19-2016
Originally Posted by Miss A:
This topic was brought up on a mom's forum I am part of, and I thought the answers were very interesting and diverse.

Question: as a parent, do you ask if the home your child is visiting (friend's home, grandparents, visiting family) has a firearm on the premises, and if they do, do you allow your child to visit that home?

My answer: In the rural Iowa county I live in, it is assumed and almost expected that every home has a gun on the premises, be it a CCP hand gun, or a hunting rifle. As a FTM who provides daycare in my home, I have 4 firearms on my property, all secured behind lock and key with a key I do not have access to during the day. All guns are stored unloaded, with safety on, and all ammo is kept in a separate secure lock box using a different key than the gun closet lock. While I disclose to parents that we have firearms on the premises, as I do not have access to them during the day I do not worry about children coming into contact with them during the day.

Growing up, my dad kept a loaded shotgun beneath his bed. He taught us all as young children that a gun was not to be played with, as it was not a toy. He taught us to respect the power of a gun, and to use it carefully, knowing the dangers it presented. Growing up, did we ever touch that gun without dad's permission? No, never. I believe the novelty of the gun was gone because we were instructed in gun safety measures, and we were aware of the dangers that playing with a gun presented not only to us but to all those who lived in our home.

I believe in teaching a child gun safety, even if you don't want your child to be near guns as it will help your child know what to do in a dangerous situation. If a child knows the dangers of a weapon, and understands the serious consequences, as well as knows what to do should they find their peers in possession a dangerous weapon, many accidental shootings that are happening so frequently could be cut back on.

What about you? Do you ask?
What is an FTM? (bolded above)

As for asking my kids' parents about guns in the home...no. I never asked. Not because it wasn't important but because I feel its invasive to ask someone something like that.... Instead I taught my kids what they needed to know. (my kids are adults now)

Parents do not ask me. Licensing here requires all fire arms to be kept in the same manner that you described HOWEVER, I do not live in my child care house so I do not need to store fire arms or weapons here. I don't think parents here ask because most know that if we have a valid child care license, the firearms ARE stored as required. Otherwise our licensing dept would not allow us to operate.

At my home, I do not store them that way and store them in a manner that works for my household.
Miss A 12:00 PM 08-19-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
What is an FTM? (bolded above)
First Time Mom
Blackcat31 12:03 PM 08-19-2016
First Time Mom
Oh okay..... I googled it. It's not what I thought....

I just typed in FTM....
Miss A 12:13 PM 08-19-2016
Oh okay..... I googled it. It's not what I thought....

I just typed in FTM....
Oh my goodness, I am most definitely not that kind of FTM! 🙈 I have all my original girl parts!

The other board I use frequently has most of the same acronyms that we use here, I never thought to translate FTM to it's innocent term!
Blackcat31 12:24 PM 08-19-2016
Oh my goodness, I am most definitely not that kind of FTM! 🙈 I have all my original girl parts!

The other board I use frequently has most of the same acronyms that we use here, I never thought to translate FTM to it's innocent term!
It was definitely an acronym I hadn't seen before or maybe just didn't connect the dots due to subject matter. If we had been talking about postpartum depression I might have figured it out but I was trying to relate it to firearms.

...learn something new every day!
Pestle 05:26 AM 08-21-2016
Yes, I ask. My brother is in law enforcement and his organization even has a code phrase they use when they arrive at each other's houses; it reminds them to double-check that all firearms are properly secured before letting a child into the house. Unfortunately, the code phrase is the name of a child who walked into a house where the officer's weapon had not been secured.

I've seen enough sad news articles to know that it only takes a moment of inattention. As adults, we have 100% of the power to create the environment that our children then have to navigate. I'm not going to let a social stigma keep me from being a responsible parent/caregiver.
Play Care 06:41 AM 08-21-2016
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Yes, I ask. My brother is in law enforcement and his organization even has a code phrase they use when they arrive at each other's houses; it reminds them to double-check that all firearms are properly secured before letting a child into the house. Unfortunately, the code phrase is the name of a child who walked into a house where the officer's weapon had not been secured.

I've seen enough sad news articles to know that it only takes a moment of inattention. As adults, we have 100% of the power to create the environment that our children then have to navigate. I'm not going to let a social stigma keep me from being a responsible parent/caregiver.
I don't ask but I feel I should. We've had two cases in recent years where kids got their hands on improperly stored firearms and either killed themselves by accident or killed a friend. I think if a 6 year old finds a gun lying around they could reasonably think it's a toy.
kendallina 07:34 AM 08-21-2016
I do not ask but I have talked to my daughter about what to do if she sees a gun. I have a friend that asks parents and refuses to allow her child to go to a house with guns.
Mike 07:44 AM 08-21-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I don't ask but I feel I should. We've had two cases in recent years where kids got their hands on improperly stored firearms and either killed themselves by accident or killed a friend. I think if a 6 year old finds a gun lying around they could reasonably think it's a toy.
One of the many things we need to teach kids.
Blackcat31 08:20 AM 08-21-2016
Originally Posted by Mike:

Education is far more powerful and so much more productive than banning or simply avoiding the topic/subject all together.

ETA: I do NOT feel it is the daycrae provider's or school's responsibility to teach this.
I believe this one belongs to parents.
e.j. 11:22 AM 08-21-2016
My kids are older now but if I had to do it over again...yes, I would ask. My dd spent the day at my brother's house one day. She and my niece were old enough to be left alone for a short time so my sil left to pick her son up from work at some point. It was a hot, humid, summer day and strong storms were expected. While my sil was gone, a tornado warning came on the tv and my niece panicked. For whatever reason, she went looking for my brother's gun. The situation turned out okay and no one was hurt but the fact that my niece knew exactly where to find the gun and ammo, was able to access it and wave the gun around the living room scared the heck out of me. I didn't know what had happened until my dd came home that night and told me. I was floored and beyond angry at the thought of what could have happened. I knew my brother had a gun but assumed he took all of the proper precautions with it. He said all the right things about training and proper storage, etc, but obviously didn't follow through on any of that knowledge. I stopped allowing my dd to spend time alone there after that and was careful about where she was allowed to spend time when she went to visit with friends.
Miss A 01:07 PM 08-21-2016
Originally Posted by e.j.:
My kids are older now but if I had to do it over again...yes, I would ask. My dd spent the day at my brother's house one day. She and my niece were old enough to be left alone for a short time so my sil left to pick her son up from work at some point. It was a hot, humid, summer day and strong storms were expected. While my sil was gone, a tornado warning came on the tv and my niece panicked. For whatever reason, she went looking for my brother's gun. The situation turned out okay and no one was hurt but the fact that my niece knew exactly where to find the gun and ammo, was able to access it and wave the gun around the living room scared the heck out of me. I didn't know what had happened until my dd came home that night and told me. I was floored and beyond angry at the thought of what could have happened. I knew my brother had a gun but assumed he took all of the proper precautions with it. He said all the right things about training and proper storage, etc, but obviously didn't follow through on any of that knowledge. I stopped allowing my dd to spend time alone there after that and was careful about where she was allowed to spend time when she went to visit with friends.
This is beyond scary! We have a few years until we have to worry about our children learning gun safety, but they will learn. As I stated in my OP, we have guns, but they are secured under lock and key, as well as the ammo. I plan on never letting my child know where that key is, so that even after my child understands the responsibility of handling a gun, we never have an incident like this.
Play Care 04:04 PM 08-21-2016
I don't believe it's a child's responsibility to keep themselves safe. Kids often behave in nonsensical ways (EJ's post is a great example), it's why competent adult *supervision* and appropriate risk management are key.
Silly Songs 07:18 PM 08-21-2016
I don't believe it's a child's responsibility to keep themselves safe. Kids often behave in nonsensical ways (EJ's post is a great example), it's why competent adult *supervision* and appropriate risk management are key.
Excellent point ! They are CHILDREN. We can guide them and tell them what to do, but in the end they will be irresponsible and curious. Just because a person tells there child to stay away from guns it doesn't mean another child at that location won't find it and touch it. Then your child is still at risk.
Mike 07:54 PM 08-21-2016
It is definitely our job to keep children safe, but we do also need to teach them what is and isn't safe, just like we have to teach them how to cross a road, we also have to teach them to not touch a hot stove, or a gun. We do need to teach them what is and isn't a toy. But, even if we taught them everything, we still need to supervise and protect. My reply was in no way leaving out supervision.
Unregistered 07:55 PM 08-21-2016
As a parent you can ask but I don't have to tell you the truth. What I have or don't have in my home is private.

I have never had another parent ask though..
Play Care 04:14 AM 08-22-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
As a parent you can ask but I don't have to tell you the truth. What I have or don't have in my home is private.

So you're a liar?

A big thing here is to make sure parents will be present if teens are getting together at a home and no alcohol will be accessible. It's not that you can't have it in your home, it's that you behave like a responsible adult and keep your guests safe. Several years ago a local couple was arrested because the were caught hosting their teen sons party. Other parents were furious because they had specifically spoken to this parent and ASKED if there would be supervision and NO alcohol. Thankfully they were arrested and charged, and both took a plea. But worse, everyone in the area now knows they are completely lacking in morals or character.
You're an adult. "Yes we have firearms but they are kept locked up and inaccessible to kids" isn't a big deal.
Being dishonest is.
I do think it's added to a larger trend I've noticed of parents not allowing their kids to friends home for play dates and sleepovers due to poor supervision, etc.
Blackcat31 06:32 AM 08-22-2016

So you're a liar?

A big thing here is to make sure parents will be present if teens are getting together at a home and no alcohol will be accessible. It's not that you can't have it in your home, it's that you behave like a responsible adult and keep your guests safe. Several years ago a local couple was arrested because the were caught hosting their teen sons party. Other parents were furious because they had specifically spoken to this parent and ASKED if there would be supervision and NO alcohol. Thankfully they were arrested and charged, and both took a plea. But worse, everyone in the area now knows they are completely lacking in morals or character.
You're an adult. "Yes we have firearms but they are kept locked up and inaccessible to kids" isn't a big deal.
Being dishonest is.
I do think it's added to a larger trend I've noticed of parents not allowing their kids to friends home for play dates and sleepovers due to poor supervision, etc.
I did not take unregistered post as being a liar or untruthful.

She/he does NOT have to declare whether or not there are firearms in the home. That is a very private and personal issue (topic) for many and I know for a fact one of the things we were taught in our classes for gun safety and concealed carry is that it is NO ONE's business if you have or do not have firearms in your home.

Now as a child care, I am required to follow specific state laws and regulations in regards to how I store fire arms if I have them in the home.

As a parent, if I asked my child's friend's parents if they had firearms in the home and they declined to answer yes or no then MY option as a parent is to not allow MY child to go to that home but I see nothing wrong with not declaring your firearms.

Saying "Yes we have firearms but they are kept locked up and inaccessible to kids" is telling people you have guns and for many reasons that is simply not something those with gun safety education and CC permits are ever advised to do. (especially considering the current trend/attitudes in regards to this topic.)

It really is no one's business (other than if you are required by law to declare. ie operating a child care etc).

That does not make the OP a liar at all.
If/When I choose to carry, I certainly don't ever tell anyone.

I understand that this is a hard topic for many and I understand the perspectives are vastly different depending on what area of the country you live in and what your personal feelings are about guns but to me this is similar to the discussion we had on here about prescription medication.

When a parent asks if you take any prescription medication, the general consensus on this board was that IF and ONLY if licensing required us to disclose, should we. Otherwise it was no one's business if we were or weren't on prescription medication.

In my eyes it's the same thing. An invasion of privacy.

Both prescription medication and guns can be deadly and/or dangerous if safety precautions are not taken.

Do you ask the parents of your children's friends if they take and keep prescription medication in their homes?
Play Care 08:09 AM 08-22-2016
I did not take unregistered post as being a liar or untruthful.

She/he does NOT have to declare whether or not there are firearms in the home. That is a very private and personal issue (topic) for many and I know for a fact one of the things we were taught in our classes for gun safety and concealed carry is that it is NO ONE's business if you have or do not have firearms in your home.

Now as a child care, I am required to follow specific state laws and regulations in regards to how I store fire arms if I have them in the home.

As a parent, if I asked my child's friend's parents if they had firearms in the home and they declined to answer yes or no then MY option as a parent is to not allow MY child to go to that home but I see nothing wrong with not declaring your firearms.

Saying "Yes we have firearms but they are kept locked up and inaccessible to kids" is telling people you have guns and for many reasons that is simply not something those with gun safety education and CC permits are ever advised to do. (especially considering the current trend/attitudes in regards to this topic.)

It really is no one's business (other than if you are required by law to declare. ie operating a child care etc).

That does not make the OP a liar at all.
If/When I choose to carry, I certainly don't ever tell anyone.

I understand that this is a hard topic for many and I understand the perspectives are vastly different depending on what area of the country you live in and what your personal feelings are about guns but to me this is similar to the discussion we had on here about prescription medication.

When a parent asks if you take any prescription medication, the general consensus on this board was that IF and ONLY if licensing required us to disclose, should we. Otherwise it was no one's business if we were or weren't on prescription medication.

In my eyes it's the same thing. An invasion of privacy.

Both prescription medication and guns can be deadly and/or dangerous if safety precautions are not taken.

Do you ask the parents of your children's friends if they take and keep prescription medication in their homes?
Unregistered said they didn't have to be truthful...they didn't say they would tell them they don't have to answer that or that they would tell them they felt uncomfortable with the questioning. To me, it's lying. And, this isn't some meth head trying to get to your guns. It's a parent with concerns.
If a parent said to me "Hey, weird question, but do you keep your meds locked up?" I'd probably reassure them I do. Just as if they asked about if I had alcohol in the house.
We've had several incidents in our area where improperly stored guns got into the hands of young children with deadly consequences. To me, this is a darned if you do, darned if you don't. If you ask out of concern, you're being nosy and if you don't ask and something terrible happens you're a neglectful parent who should have known...
Mike 08:31 AM 08-22-2016
Unregistered said they didn't have to be truthful...they didn't say they would tell them they don't have to answer that or that they would tell them they felt uncomfortable with the questioning. To me, it's lying. And, this isn't some meth head trying to get to your guns. It's a parent with concerns.
If a parent said to me "Hey, weird question, but do you keep your meds locked up?" I'd probably reassure them I do. Just as if they asked about if I had alcohol in the house.
unregistered did say "I don't have to tell you the truth"
Maybe they didn't mean it that way, but it had me wondering also.

The problem is that, like you said:

We've had several incidents in our area where improperly stored guns got into the hands of young children with deadly consequences. To me, this is a darned if you do, darned if you don't. If you ask out of concern, you're being nosy and if you don't ask and something terrible happens you're a neglectful parent who should have known...
True, and that's why it is necessary to explain crossing the road, guns, drugs/medication, skunks and so on to children. Unless we hold their hand until they get married, they are going to come across risks in their life. Our job is to teach them about all of the risks.
Mike 08:34 AM 08-22-2016
And often, it is necessary to ask a personal question. We then have to make a decision based on their answer, or how they answer.
Blackcat31 08:39 AM 08-22-2016
true. UnReg did say they do not have to be truthful.

I guess I just didn't take it the same way.
I took it as they didn't HAVE to be truthful, not that they are untruthful when asked.... I was focused on the "whether or not they (those asked) HAVE to answer.... kwim?

I think it's invasive to ask.
Mike 08:49 AM 08-22-2016
I had a 22 rifle a while back. Friends and relatives knew about it and weren't afraid of their kids being at my house because it was locked up, and the bullets and the bolt were locked in 2 other places. When I babysat for parents who didn't know, if they asked, I would have told them, but I was never asked. One parent, knowing I had one, even asked me to explain the danger of guns to their son because there was a recent news article about an accidental death due to a child who found one and thought it was a play gun. I showed him my gun (less bullets and bolt) and pictures of other types and explained to him to never pick up any gun unless he knows it is a toy.

So, back to the OP, I believe children should be taught about guns, age appropriately of course. I believe it should be law everywhere for all guns not currently in use to be locked up safely. I believe we have the right to ask if someone has one and they have the right to answer whatever way they want. And I believe children do have to be properly supervised, and prepared for the day they do start going places without you.
Blackcat31 09:03 AM 08-22-2016
I had a 22 rifle a while back. Friends and relatives knew about it and weren't afraid of their kids being at my house because it was locked up, and the bullets and the bolt were locked in 2 other places. When I babysat for parents who didn't know, if they asked, I would have told them, but I was never asked. One parent, knowing I had one, even asked me to explain the danger of guns to their son because there was a recent news article about an accidental death due to a child who found one and thought it was a play gun. I showed him my gun (less bullets and bolt) and pictures of other types and explained to him to never pick up any gun unless he knows it is a toy.

So, back to the OP, I believe children should be taught about guns, age appropriately of course. I believe it should be law everywhere for all guns not currently in use to be locked up safely. I believe we have the right to ask if someone has one and they have the right to answer whatever way they want. And I believe children do have to be properly supervised, and prepared for the day they do start going places without you.
I absolutely think kids should be taught about guns and gun safety.
I think parents that avoid this topic are setting their children up for failure should they encounter a gun.

I think knowledge is power and education is necessary for everyone, including those who are not pro-gun.

They did a social experiment a while back with 8 kids (2 of whom had been taught gun safety by their parents and 6 that had not...other than being told the basics; i.e. that guns are "bad")

Interesting to see which kids picked up the gun and which didn't. (the link below isn't the original video source but it still gets the point across)

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...=0&FORM=VDMCNL
Mike 09:35 AM 08-22-2016
The video actually made my eyes water just thinking about how dangerous a gun laying around can be, and remembering the story years ago.
Scout 10:29 AM 08-22-2016
Especially since they make them pink and other fun colors now. They LOOK like toys.
Scout 10:37 AM 08-22-2016
I do not ask, but, my oldest son's closest friend has also evolved his family into our close friends, so I know they have guns in their house. Locked up. And I also have been educating my kids since they were around age 3 and certainly before they are old enough to go play at other homes.

I also educate them on general safety such as balls in streets, friends in streets, taking candy from anyone (including other kids), talking to strangers with no adult near, etc. etc. I do this with all the kids I have here. I would rather they know that if a friend runs into the street, or jumps in a pool, they do not follow and are to immediately come get the adult. We can't always see everything because we have a lot of distractions around and especially with our own kids, who I at least tend to be more slack with and will allow them in the back alone. I feel better knowing they know general safety rules about guns and life in general at a young age.
Mike 11:17 AM 08-22-2016
Originally Posted by Scout:
Especially since they make them pink and other fun colors now. They LOOK like toys.
And some are so lightweight now they even feel like toys.
Unregistered 07:38 PM 08-23-2016
So you're a liar?

Yes! I lie every day.

I lie to kids..go play mommy will be here soon when in reality mommy might still be hours from coming.

I lie to parents.. Mom comes in with a new haircut, clearly looking for a compliment of some kind. While I might think the new haircut is awful I tell her it is cute and really frames her face nicely.

I lie to my own kids... No, the doctors needle isn't going to hurt you.

I lie to my parents.. sure I will take time out of my busy day to drive 20 miles away to check your mail everyday for 2 weeks while you are away. When in reality I check it once the day before they come home.

I lie to my doctor... yes I am eating healthy, get regular excercise, and have no stress.

I would never tell a parent about any firearms. Little Sally's mommy could have a meth head brother that she casually tells my info to and in turn comes looking for the gun one day to settle a score with someone. What I have in my home is private unless it is in my daycare area. The other areas of my home are off limits unless you live in this house.
Mike 07:57 PM 08-23-2016
I would never tell a parent about any firearms. Little Sally's mommy could have a meth head brother that she casually tells my info to and in turn comes looking for the gun one day to settle a score with someone.
Could very well happen.

What I have in my home is private unless it is in my daycare area. The other areas of my home are off limits unless you live in this house.
True, and if anyone ever does ask, you are under no obligation to answer. Problem is, if anyone does ask, they pretty much know the answer based on your answer, unless you just say no. Any other answer and they will know or assume you do have one. They don't have the right to ask unless they specifically ask if there are any guns in the daycare area. The rest of the house is none of their business.
Play Care 04:30 AM 08-24-2016
Could very well happen.

True, and if anyone ever does ask, you are under no obligation to answer. Problem is, if anyone does ask, they pretty much know the answer based on your answer, unless you just say no. Any other answer and they will know or assume you do have one. They don't have the right to ask unless they specifically ask if there are any guns in the daycare area. The rest of the house is none of their business.
In my State I have to tell dcp's in writing that I have a firearm. Regardless of what area of the home the firearm is stored in.
But I think many have missed the point of the post. This wasn't about DC or dc clients. This is about your child's friends that you allowed to be invited to your home. That would reasonably be in areas other than the dc area.
If you don't have kids, then this has nothing to do with you. If your kids are much older and don't live with you, this has nothing to do with you. If you never have kids visiting your home (not day care) then this isn't for you.
I love a glass of wine in the evenings. And with tween kids, it's reasonable that in the near future I will be asked about alcohol in the house. I could get offended and act sneaky and lie. But I just can't live that way.
Again to me this is a darned if you do, darned if you don't, parents just can't win.
Blackcat31 05:59 AM 08-24-2016
In my State I have to tell dcp's in writing that I have a firearm. Regardless of what area of the home the firearm is stored in.
But I think many have missed the point of the post. This wasn't about DC or dc clients. This is about your child's friends that you allowed to be invited to your home. That would reasonably be in areas other than the dc area.
If you don't have kids, then this has nothing to do with you. If your kids are much older and don't live with you, this has nothing to do with you. If you never have kids visiting your home (not day care) then this isn't for you.
I love a glass of wine in the evenings. And with tween kids, it's reasonable that in the near future I will be asked about alcohol in the house. I could get offended and act sneaky and lie. But I just can't live that way.
Again to me this is a darned if you do, darned if you don't, parents just can't win.
That's the point though... it's not just about guns.
It's about your child being safe.

Do you ask the parents of your kids' friends if they have knives, alcohol, matches, gasoline, *adult* magazines or movies, firecrackers, chainsaws, cigarettes, turpentine etc.... in their homes before they are allowed to go there?

Asking these types of questions could be helpful in certain situations but if you have kids that are old enough to understand, you teach them how to stay safe. You teach them the skills they need so that when they visit a friends house and see a lighter sitting near the fireplace they won't immediately take it and start the house on fire.

You teach them about the dangers of the world and you get to know the families your children spend time with so that you don't have to ask intrusive questions that can be insulting in some cases.

If my child's friend had a parent that asked me if I have that laundry list of dangerous and deadly items in their home just so their child would be safe, I'd probably suggest the child not visit. Or worse, lie and I don't want to live like that either.

You have a tweenager. If my tweenager wanted to hang at your house and I asked you if you had any of those dangerous items in your home and asked if they were locked and out of reach of my child, I would think that as a parent with a child that you've obviously kept safe and healthy enough to make it to their teen years, you should be insulted that I even asked that. I should have a right to assume that you do all the things necessary to keep your child safe since she is still living-breathing.

As parent I do not feel this is a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation at all. We DO have power as parents. We DO have options and solutions.

The answer in my opinion lies in taking responsibility for OUR OWN children and teaching them how to be the safest they can be.

I might not trust anyone else's parents and I might feel uncomfortable allowing my child to go to certain people's houses but that is still on me as the parent. I can only control my own environment and my own child's education so I have to trust that I taught my child the necessary skills to stay safe. I have to do those things because even if I outright asked, the parent could still lie.
Play Care 08:39 AM 08-24-2016
That's the point though... it's not just about guns.
It's about your child being safe.

Not really, there is also a liability involved. It's the reason there was such outrage over the party I mentioned earlier, initially other parents were charged. Even those who claim they specifically had asked about alcohol and were not present at the party.

Do you ask the parents of your kids' friends if they have knives, alcohol, matches, gasoline, *adult* magazines or movies, firecrackers, chainsaws, cigarettes, turpentine etc.... in their homes before they are allowed to go there?

This is silly and I just can't even...This is classic tin foil hat "they're coming to take my guns" argument.

You teach them about the dangers of the world and you get to know the families your children spend time with so that you don't have to ask intrusive questions that can be insulting in some cases.

A parent who is asking likely has had a bad experience that's causing them to ask (Again, EJ's example). They are likely not trying to offend or passing judgement but realize instead that kids often make poor decisions and have immature risk assessment skills. They are asking for your help/cooperation.

If my child's friend had a parent that asked me if I have that laundry list of dangerous and deadly items in their home just so their child would be safe, I'd probably suggest the child not visit. Or worse, lie and I don't want to live like that either.

You have a tweenager. If my tweenager wanted to hang at your house and I asked you if you had any of those dangerous items in your home and asked if they were locked and out of reach of my child, I would think that as a parent with a child that you've obviously kept safe and healthy enough to make it to their teen years, you should be insulted that I even asked that. I should have a right to assume that you do all the things necessary to keep your child safe since she is still living-breathing.

As parent I do not feel this is a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation at all. We DO have power as parents. We DO have options and solutions.

I'm speaking to the idea that everything that happens to a child is the parents fault. When the child was killed locally, there was a vocal group who felt the parents of the victim were at fault. So if they had asked about guns, they would have been nosy, but because they had to bury their son, they should have asked. The only way to win is to not leave your home apparently

The answer in my opinion lies in taking responsibility for OUR OWN children and teaching them how to be the safest they can be.

I agree that this should be PART of the solution, but I also feel kids, especially young ones, shouldn't be solely responsible for their safety. I'd like to assume that a family that owns guns keeps them inaccessible to the kids. But then we have EJ's example, and the two local kids (separate incidents)

I might not trust anyone else's parents and I might feel uncomfortable allowing my child to go to certain people's houses but that is still on me as the parent. I can only control my own environment and my own child's education so I have to trust that I taught my child the necessary skills to stay safe. I have to do those things because even if I outright asked, the parent could still lie.
My answers in bold.
I'll just have to agree to disagree here though.
This is the reason I can't join debate forums. It's too much fun
Blackcat31 08:43 AM 08-24-2016
My answers in bold.
I'll just have to agree to disagree here though.
This is the reason I can't join debate forums. It's too much fun
I agree!
That we disagree

and I agree on the reasoning behind not joining debate boards

Miss A 09:08 AM 08-24-2016
Not that everyone will agree here, but I really loved the responses to this thread. It was really neat to see the diverse reactions, and to see the reactions so varied based on each posters location.

I am from a teeny tiny county on the border of the Iowa/Minnesota line. The town I grew up in, and have since moved away from straddled the boarder, and a small part of its city limits lay in Minnesota. We are a hunting and fishing community. In my county, that contains 6 towns, there are 3 sports shops and shooting ranges. We also have a large number of concealed carry classes that are always full, as well as the Hunters safety class that fills up with 12 year olds each fall. In my area, there is rarely gun violence, except for the rare occasion in one small town that has an immigration issue and has been raided by ICE on numerous occasions.

But, many of you are from areas where gun violence is more prevalent. I liked to see your response, as you present a different view point for me. I don't know what it is like to have shootings in the local news regularly, or to have it affect how I feel walking down the street. I don't know what it is like to not live in a community of 1,000-2,000 people, and not know my neighbor my child's friends parents personally. That is a totally different lifestyle for me, and I will be the first to admit that I am quite naive in the realities that many face. I am a small town country girl, who grew up in a town of 250 people.

Thanks everyone for your answers, I really enjoyed reading each and every one.
mommyneedsadayoff 11:20 AM 08-24-2016
I grew up in a small town and currently live in a smaller city and hunting and sport shooting is pretty popular here, so I just assume everyone has a gun in their home. I was raised on a farm and a shotgun or rifle by the front door was normal. I walked by them everyday. It is still that way in many homes out in the country here today, so I have talked to my kids about gun safety and will continue to do so frequently as they grow. As of right now, my kids have only stayed over at my sister's house and I know they have guns and where they are located, so I have never worried about it. And I don't like having kids over here that are not related so I doubt I will ever be asked.
I am much more of a 'meet at the park' kind of person, so the parent is in charge of their own kid and I am not liable. I just cannot trust that a child coming into my home has been taught to behave and to not do unsafe things (of course, supervision is necessary, but there are times they may be unsupervised for a few). An example is my oldest sister let her daughter have a friend spend the night. They are 10 and had a great night and everyone went to bed. The next morning, my sister was getting breakfast and her dd came down from her room and asked if her friend had already gone home. My sister was like, what?! They looked all over the house and yard and could not find her and so my sister was freaking out (obviously) and made the dreaded call to her mom to tell her and let her know she was going to call the police. The mom was like "oh! She came home last night! Sorry, I mean to tell you!" Apparently, she decided to come home because she couldn't sleep, so she WALKED home at 2 am and told her mom and her mom never bothered to call my sister and tell her! Anyway, sorry I went a little off topic, but I just feel better not having other kids in my home to worry about for that type of reason
CityGarden 06:59 PM 08-24-2016
My dd does not go to homes of families I am not close with unless I am present. The family I am close with I have asked. So far there is only one family I trust to be responsible enough consistently so dd is fine over there. Others I just decline for some random reason or offer their children to come with me and make it sound exciting or I offer to go with my dd.

The challenge with safety measures and guns is that I (want to) believe most gun owners especially those with young children initially plan all the safety steps but then life can interrupt and someone sets it down for a second, gets distracted.... and accidents happen.

I intentionally did not read all the replies to this thread and I won't debate if my approach is right or wrong. I feel it parent has to parent the best way they see fit for their family.

My thought is ....

You might shock someone when you ask, you might even initially offend them by asking but IF I don't ask then I don't know.
Reply Up