Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Baby Food
lovemykidstoo 03:40 PM 02-11-2019
Does anyone have or have you had a daycare child that did transition off baby food at a year old? I have a 9 month old that the parents don't want him to have anything but baby food until like 18 months at least.
CountryRoads 03:55 PM 02-11-2019
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Does anyone have or have you had a daycare child that did transition off baby food at a year old? I have a 9 month old that the parents don't want him to have anything but baby food until like 18 months at least.
At a year old, I like to transition them to my menu. It's never been a problem. I actually just had a dcg turn 1 last month and she has been on our menu since a little before she turned 1.

So they expect you to spoon feed their child until they are 18 months? Is there a reason they only want baby food for so long?
Blackcat31 04:56 PM 02-11-2019
I participate with a food program
ALL enrolled kids kids are served same meals/snacks every day.
No exceptions other than medically documented allergies or restrictions
At 12 months the menu is the same for all
Ariana 05:07 PM 02-11-2019
All of my kids start at 12 months and most are completely transitioned to my regulat menu by 18 months. Some kids come in having had everything and some kids are still on baby food at 12 months.

I would let them know that baby food until 18 months is not age appropriate eating behavior.
lovemykidstoo 07:10 PM 02-11-2019
I was really blown away. I asked dad today if they had given him anything other than baby food right now. YOu know, little baby teething biscuits, cheerios etc. I've been in business for 18 years and always was giving 9 month olds cheeries, broken up toast etc. He acted floored. They have a 3 year old that is in preschool too, so they're not first time parents. He said that both their families have intestinal issues like diverticulitis so they're being cautious. I told him that I have never had a child 12 months NOT go to regular menu. He said well what would you feed him now as far as regular menu. I said at this age, he could have tiny bits of cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt etc. He flipped and said oh no no dont give him that. I said I have to talk to my food program rep and that I think the only way at a year that I can't is with a doctors note. I think it's nuts
Josiegirl 02:07 AM 02-12-2019
If they're insistent then they'd either need to supply a drs. note to satisfy the food program or they'd have to supply their child's food.
Pestle 03:19 AM 02-12-2019
I think there is some misapprehension by some people that "baby food" is a magical category of food that is somehow substantially different from everything else. It's not. It's just regular food mushed up, with a cute label and a high price point.
DaveA 03:39 AM 02-12-2019
I've never had a child not transition to regular food at 12 months. If there really is a medical reason they need something from the doctor. Otherwise that is a request I would tell parents I couldn't comply with.
Ac114 04:33 AM 02-12-2019
Yes and I termed them for that. It was more the child couldn’t eat anything that wasn’t liquid and they withheld that information during the interview. He was 15 months old and still needed spoon fed. He couldn’t even hold the baby pouches and eat himself.
Cat Herder 05:39 AM 02-12-2019
By "baby food" do you mean jarred food? I don't even serve this.

Could they mean steamed, clean foods; pureed or diced? No added ingredients. Mesh feeders.
Bluemoon5 06:44 AM 02-12-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:

I would let them know that baby food until 18 months is not age appropriate eating behavior.
This. It is my understanding that eating different foods and experiencing different textures helps with speech development. Chewing foods helps develop muscles used to form certain sounds. That's what our speech therapist said anyway.
lovemykidstoo 07:48 AM 02-12-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
By "baby food" do you mean jarred food? I don't even serve this.

Could they mean steamed, clean foods; pureed or diced? No added ingredients. Mesh feeders.
They mean they will only serve him baby food. They use jarred food and rice cereal. I talked to mom this morning and she said it's not as bad as he made it sound. She said she will talk to him and let me know. I told her food program is 12 months without a doctors note.
Tin Blues 07:49 AM 02-12-2019
My babies are all on table food by 9 to 10 months and feeding themselves.
lovemykidstoo 09:04 AM 02-12-2019
Originally Posted by Tin Blues:
My babies are all on table food by 9 to 10 months and feeding themselves.
Mine usually are too. This is the first one in 18 years. I gave him cheerios and he had no clue at all what to do with them.
LittleExplorers 09:29 AM 02-12-2019
My kiddos are all done with baby food by 8 or 9 months typically. Some never do pureed, which I prefer. I would not feed a child that old baby food unless it was a medical necessity.
hwichlaz 04:35 PM 02-12-2019
No baby food at all here, without a doctor's note. We do baby led weaning unless the child has special needs of some kind.
lovemykidstoo 04:40 PM 02-12-2019
I am concerned how they dont' seem to want to have this baby grow up. Mainly the dad. He was not reaching milestones. He was very late sitting up. He cannot get up to sitting from any position now. Now the food? The dad freaked when I said I could give him things like tiny bits of cheese now. I've given him things here and there. He loves it. His dad is nutso
knoxmomof2 12:33 PM 02-13-2019
Yeah, that's odd.... My daughter (now 15 months) was super picky with starting foods at 6 months, we tried a lot of things and just realized she was particular. Even so, I knew what was developmentally appropriate and kept offering small pieces of whatever I was eating once she was about 9 months. I stopped all baby food at a year. It just took her a little while longer to get into solids.

Heck, the other baby that started at 9 months had a mouth full of teeth and wasn't even on purees anymore! That kid can eat! 😁

What on Earth gives them the idea that baby food is meant for past a year?
lovemykidstoo 01:12 PM 02-13-2019
Originally Posted by knoxmomof2:
Yeah, that's odd.... My daughter (now 15 months) was super picky with starting foods at 6 months, we tried a lot of things and just realized she was particular. Even so, I knew what was developmentally appropriate and kept offering small pieces of whatever I was eating once she was about 9 months. I stopped all baby food at a year. It just took her a little while longer to get into solids.

Heck, the other baby that started at 9 months had a mouth full of teeth and wasn't even on purees anymore! That kid can eat! 😁

What on Earth gives them the idea that baby food is meant for past a year?
Well the one parent thinks that because his and his wife's family have stomach issues that this will ward off that in his child by not feeding him anything but baby jar food until 18 months or longer. The other one said today (they're 5 days apart) that her child doesnt have any teeth. I said most 1 yr olds don't have molars and that they're such tiny bits of food they either dissolve easily or they mush them/gum them.
Jupadia 07:02 PM 02-13-2019
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Well the one parent thinks that because his and his wife's family have stomach issues that this will ward off that in his child by not feeding him anything but baby jar food until 18 months or longer. The other one said today (they're 5 days apart) that her child doesnt have any teeth. I said most 1 yr olds don't have molars and that they're such tiny bits of food they either dissolve easily or they mush them/gum them.
My own guy stopped letting me feed him pureaes at about 9 months, and would only eat chunks. Had NO teeth till he was 13.5 months and no moles till 18 months.
jenboo 07:28 PM 02-13-2019
Baby gums are super strong.
lovemykidstoo 07:43 PM 02-13-2019
Yea I tried to tell both sets of parents that babies really don't get molars until they're closer than a year and a half and they really gum things. Never lost a kid yet for it. I'm just going to keep doing what I normally do with kids at that age. I gave him cottage cheese last week and he loved it. Dad would flip his lid, but that was before I knew he had issues with it. I can't wait for my food audit so I can talk to her about this too. I appreciate all of your feedback too!
Tin Blues 04:15 AM 02-14-2019
Are you licensed? Here, we have an infant feeding schedule parents have to fill out and sign, and then we sign. If table food isn’t mentioned, we can’t give it. Only what is okayed by the parent.
lovemykidstoo 07:33 AM 02-14-2019
Originally Posted by Tin Blues:
Are you licensed? Here, we have an infant feeding schedule parents have to fill out and sign, and then we sign. If table food isn’t mentioned, we can’t give it. Only what is okayed by the parent.
I am licensed, but we dont' have that regulation.
Ariana 11:08 AM 02-14-2019
I am confused by what this dad thinks baby food is! Like Pestle mentioned, baby food is just mushed up regular food so how is it going to affect stomach diseases in any way?! I smell a mental illness for sure and would definitely require a DRs note.

I had a child start at 12 months and mom was going on and on about how poorly he ate and how she was seeing an OT. When baby came to me he was lethargic, did not look healthy and was so skinny. I saw zero eating issues and he ate whatever I served him. When he got away from mom he beefed up and gained about 10 pounds. I suspected mom was anorexic and her pediatrician sister was as well. They both looked very malnourished with dark circles under their eyes. When this mom got pregnant the DR told her to start drinking whole milk or she was going to lose the baby.
lovemykidstoo 11:27 AM 02-14-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I am confused by what this dad thinks baby food is! Like Pestle mentioned, baby food is just mushed up regular food so how is it going to affect stomach diseases in any way?! I smell a mental illness for sure and would definitely require a DRs note.

I had a child start at 12 months and mom was going on and on about how poorly he ate and how she was seeing an OT. When baby came to me he was lethargic, did not look healthy and was so skinny. I saw zero eating issues and he ate whatever I served him. When he got away from mom he beefed up and gained about 10 pounds. I suspected mom was anorexic and her pediatrician sister was as well. They both looked very malnourished with dark circles under their eyes. When this mom got pregnant the DR told her to start drinking whole milk or she was going to lose the baby.

When I started asking him about what else his son was eating and that I had to switch him over at a year, so we should start gradually, he said, what are you going to do at a year, give him a sandwich? ugh like this is my first time doing this. My son is almost 21 and I've been in daycare for 18 years. He wants strictly vegetables and fruits in pureed form. Yea, that's not going to happen, there is no reason for that to happen.
Tags:infant feeding
Reply Up