Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Put the Toilet Seat Down!
gumdrops 09:45 AM 03-01-2019
Do you enforce that boys put the toilet seat back down when finished?

I have 1 boy and 3 girls who are potty trained. My boy CONNOT remember to put the seat down. I always have him go back in, put it down, and wash hands again. He has now started complaining that the girls don't put the seat UP for him

I have always trained the boys to put the seat back down when they are finished. I feel it's just common curtesy/manners. I have never had one struggle this bad to remember. He's 4.5 and very smart.

It sounds so minor, but drives me crazy! What do you do?
Cat Herder 10:09 AM 03-01-2019
I am just happy when they remember to lift it before going. I am tired of having to decon it and wait for it to dry before the girls can go.
storybookending 10:20 AM 03-01-2019
Originally Posted by gumdrops:
What do you do?
Make them sit
ColorfulSunburst 10:20 AM 03-01-2019
tell him that he (and all other kids ) must put the sit and toilet cover down BEFORE flushing off. If they don't, tiny drops of poop and urine are spreading around of all bathroom and they breathe it in.
e.j. 10:21 AM 03-01-2019
Do you enforce that boys put the toilet seat back down when finished?

I have 1 boy and 3 girls who are potty trained. My boy CONNOT remember to put the seat down. I always have him go back in, put it down, and wash hands again. He has now started complaining that the girls don't put the seat UP for him

I have always trained the boys to put the seat back down when they are finished. I feel it's just common curtesy/manners. I have never had one struggle this bad to remember. He's 4.5 and very smart.

My dd has a cat that, when the toilet lid is open, tries to jump up onto the seat. When he does that, he falls into the water which freaks him out. When he freaks out, he runs and drips toilet water all over the house. As a result, I train all of the kids - boys and girls - to close the lid after they're finished using the toilet and since the seat has to be down in order to do that, leaving the seat up isn't a problem in our house. It takes a lot of reminding but the kids eventually get pretty good at putting the lid down.

The fact that he's complaining about the girls not leaving the seat up for him makes me wonder if he's heard his parents arguing about the same problem at home. lol
jenboo 10:27 AM 03-01-2019
Everyone closes the lid before flushing.
Cat Herder 11:10 AM 03-01-2019
FTR, I close the lid and flush.

I want to know if they actually went. I also want to know if urine is too dark and if stool is too hard or too loose.

I want to know what I am dealing with.

I also want to know what they would be flushing. Shoes, socks, pocketed toys, half a roll of TP, you know... preschool stuff. I have a septic tank in rocky soil, mishaps get spendy really fast. My last big hit was $19,000
DaveA 11:32 AM 03-01-2019
I feel his struggles.
Jupadia 02:05 PM 03-01-2019
I try to tell all the kids to put the lid down. Both our toilets have the built in potty seat, though just one used for daycare. It only happens sometimes, my husband just just as bad as my boys, but I live in a house of males, and part of me just has given up, I know it will get left up. But if i get it closed 75% of time i can live with it.
Blackcat31 02:11 PM 03-01-2019
In all the years I've been in this business I guess I have never ever given a single thought as to whether the lid should be up or down.

Unless I am the one using the toilet and don't take a second to look to see if it's up before I sit.

I do have to say however, I am on his side; the girls don't leave it up for him.
Blackcat31 02:29 PM 03-01-2019
Maybe it's time to invest in one of these:

https://flushdowntoiletseat.com/

"The Flush-Down Automatic Toilet seat closes the toilet seat & lid for you - every time you flush. Installation requires no tools or special knowledge and takes 10 minutes. When installed, the Flush-Down virtually disappears, keeping your bathroom clutter-free."
hwichlaz 09:53 PM 03-01-2019
not just the seat, EVERYONE must close the lid before they flush.
hwichlaz 09:56 PM 03-01-2019
Originally Posted by storybookending:
Make them sit
Me too, except the one poor little guy that doesn't have enough of anything to point south. He's really chubby and his parts are kind of hidden by his chub. When he sits down there is nothing for him to put his fingers on to push down. He'd have to lay across the toilet face down, lolol. So he gets to stand. Everyone else sits.
CeriBear 10:52 AM 03-02-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I am just happy when they remember to lift it before going. I am tired of having to decon it and wait for it to dry before the girls can go.
Same here!
Mike 04:32 PM 03-02-2019
Rule at my place is simple. Seat and lid are always down. Boys and girls put both down when done.

If it's just the seat, and not the lid, then he has a point. Include the lid and there are no arguments.
Tags:toilet issues, toilet seat
Reply Up