Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Give Reasons for Closing?
CountryRoads 03:16 PM 03-22-2019
I feel like I need to explain myself and tell them why I need to be closed. I know I don't need to, I just feel like they will make assumptions or something dumb like that - because they do lol I'm closed 1 day next week and a parent assumed I was going to a town that I'm not going to. It was weird. I was also closed a while back for a dr appt, and this same dcm asked me everyday after my appointment if I heard from my doctor on my results yet That made me not want to tell anyone why I'm closed anymore.

I should add that I know all my parents on a more personal level because of living in a tiny town, but still.

Just curious if you tell families why you are closed?
Ariana 03:20 PM 03-22-2019
I don’t especially if it is a personal appointment. That mom sounds brutal! I just gave notice that I will be taking a personal day in April and gave no reason. That’s why I like having a private FB page for families, I can just post it and no one can ask me about it
CountryRoads 03:22 PM 03-22-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I don’t especially if it is a personal appointment. That mom sounds brutal! I just gave notice that I will be taking a personal day in April and gave no reason. That’s why I like having a private FB page for families, I can just post it and no one can ask me about it
That's a good idea! I don't do FB, but I could just stick a memo in their bag or send a text. When doing it face to face, I feel weird just leaving it at "daycare's closed this day", hence another reason why I feel the need to explain.
e.j. 05:12 PM 03-22-2019
When I can't schedule an appointment on a Friday (I'm closed on Fridays), I explain that I have an appointment that I have to attend and I couldn't schedule it on a Friday or after hours so I need to close the day care. If it's not too personal, I let parents know why I'm closing.
Rockgirl 06:29 PM 03-22-2019
I don’t give a reason for vacation days. I have a couple of families who will ask if I’m getting to do something fun, or even say they hope I am! When I had a medical procedure several years ago, I did let them know, and all families were very supportive.
BumbleBee 06:30 PM 03-22-2019
I do. But I feel it's a personal choice, on the providers part, to tell or not.
DaveA 05:33 AM 03-23-2019
I don't in the letter/ closing reminders I send out. There I just put day(s) closed and if it's paid or unpaid.

Now when talking with parents I'll say something general about why I'm closing (appointment, trip, show, etc.). But most of my families have been with me for a while, so they know my routine pretty well.
Snowmom 06:19 AM 03-25-2019
I don't typically tell people because I'm able to plan well in advance and type it up on my monthly calendars and websites for them.

Although, when I have a sub, I do post that so-and-so will be filling in for me for a quick dental/dr apt during nap.
Cat Herder 06:29 AM 03-25-2019
I generally do give a reason, but not so specific as to tell them I am having a medical test done.

EX:
Closed: Mandatory Training
Closed: Routine Drs. Appt.
Closed: Family Vacation

In reverse, if a parent told me they were going for a medical test, I'd feel obligated to ask them how it went and offer support if it went badly. Otherwise, I'd come off as rude and insensitive. I greatly appreciate when they leave me in the dark. I am already overtasked. Obviously if they needed my assistance (vs their own family), and I was able, I'd be there in a heartbeat.
Blackcat31 07:31 AM 03-25-2019
A good rule of thumb is to remember the more you share about your activities during your off time (whether work related or not) the more it lends to the idea that parents have a right to know this information.

Share what you are comfortable sharing with families.
Some providers have a closer family relationship with their clients than others.

I simply tell families what days I'm closed and leave it at that. Some parents however know the reason as I am friendlier with some clients than I am with others and it sometimes comes up in conversation.
AmyKidsCo 01:29 PM 03-25-2019
I use whatever terminology is in my policies: Winter Break, Vacation, Provider Day Off. Except if I'm taking "off" to attend a conference - I want them to know it's not really a day off. Sometimes I mention if I have doctor appointments, so they realize I have to close for those, and that those days "off" aren't really free time either.
hwichlaz 03:37 PM 03-25-2019
If I want it off paid I kinda have to....sorta.

I'll specify if I'm taking a sick day, personal day, or vacation day.

If I'm contagious I'll let them know what to watch for.
Tags:closing daycare, day off, notification letter - closing
Reply Up