Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Starting a Center in a Home?
SadiraRo 09:00 AM 03-25-2019
Friend & I are starting up a daycare center (PA). Having trouble finding a building, I suggested finding a house and using as a center rather than just an in home. Does anyone know if this is possible?
Pestle 09:04 AM 03-25-2019
You'd have to have it rezoned if it's not already zoned for commercial use. Sometimes the community tries to stop that from happening and sometimes they don't care.
Blackcat31 09:47 AM 03-25-2019
Originally Posted by Pestle:
You'd have to have it rezoned if it's not already zoned for commercial use. Sometimes the community tries to stop that from happening and sometimes they don't care.
Lots of centers in residential homes in my area.

Rezoning is not required.
My city municipality doesn't care how you are licensed.

Definitely check with your city ordinances for clarification as it seems every state is different.
Mom2Two 11:39 AM 03-25-2019
You might be able to find an older home that is in a commercial zone.
DaveA 12:15 PM 03-25-2019
Depending on where you're looking you are probably ok looking for a house to turn into a center. Like Mom2Two said a lot of areas are mixed use. So even if you have to rezone it won't be a major issue. The first center I worked in (and helped remodel) was a converted triplex apartment. Just remember that you will be converting it to a commercial property, so some of the things (especially in kitchen and bathrooms) will be much different from residential requirements.

Good Luck.
SadiraRo 09:29 AM 03-27-2019
I didn't think it was as complicated as she was making it out to be. When I brought this to her attention, she said she couldn't afford to buy a house. Is this also still possible with renting? I always assumed it was up to the landlord and if they were okay with it, no big deal.

Thoughts?? Has anyone tried this?
flying_babyb 10:35 AM 03-31-2019
One of my favorite daycares was in a 2 story converted Victorian. The nail salon was on the bottom us on top! Front opened to a huge playground.
Mom2Two 03:31 PM 04-01-2019
Originally Posted by SadiraRo:
I didn't think it was as complicated as she was making it out to be. When I brought this to her attention, she said she couldn't afford to buy a house. Is this also still possible with renting? I always assumed it was up to the landlord and if they were okay with it, no big deal.

Thoughts?? Has anyone tried this?
You'll need to check with more than a landlord, especially if it's a house. In my city, a home is licensed for 8 max, except for one remaining 16 license which was grandfathered in.

I'm pretty sure that the city would allow retail space to be turned into a daycare...except that the state wouldn't like most retail spaces, because it would need a backyard.

But that's just how my city works. There are other towns 5-10 miles away from me that have older houses as daycare centers.
Tags:starting a child care, starting a daycare, starting daycare
Reply Up