Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Emergency Room
Core12 03:42 AM 04-05-2019
Yesterday morning 15 mins before I opened I texted everyone to say that I was closed due to an emergency.
I thought I was having a heart attack. I had all of the symptoms and I’m the same age my father was when he started having them.
Turns out I wasn’t having a heart attack and the dr said I May have Pleurisy. I texted everyone and said “thanks everyone, I will see you all tomorrow”
Now I’m having anxiety with dealing with the aftermath. One parent who I really like was most likely Extremely inconvenienced. I feel like no matter what I say it’s not going to be good enough. I hope she does not take her two kids elsewhere as I am already trying to find replacements for two other kids in August.
What would u say?
Josiegirl 04:10 AM 04-05-2019
Hey life happens! I'd tell her the truth. You thought you were possibly having a heart attack. I'm sure they wouldn't have wanted to bring the child! If they cannot understand that, then maybe they need to go to a center. This is a con to having a home dc where you rely on 1 provider. But they really need to know that before enrolling and make sure they have dependable back up plans!

Hope you feel better!!!
littlefriends 04:14 AM 04-05-2019
Don’t ever put daycare before your health! If you were feeling so badly that you needed to go to the emergency room don’t ignore that just because you’re worried the daycare parents will be mad at you. Like Josie said, life happens. Part of home daycare is knowing it might close and knowing to have a backup plan if they choose home daycare. If they truly care they’ll understand and if they get mad over you taking care of yourself when you need to then they’re probably not a great fit.
DaveA 05:49 AM 04-05-2019
Do what is best for you and don't feel bad about it. Recognize it was an inconvenience, thank them for their understanding, and move on.

My "are you kidding me?" moment was when I went to the ER in Afib. DW is texting parents telling them what was going on, I'd be closed tomorrow, etc. One parent's only reply was to ask how refunds for unused days was handled. That was the reminder this is a business and you need to run it for you and your family's needs first and foremost.

Hope you're feeling better, don't worry, and take it easy.
Cat Herder 05:56 AM 04-05-2019
"What would u say?"

"I had Pleurisy. It was the scariest and most painful thing I have ever dealt with. Luckily, the virus I picked up that caused it has been treated and all is well. Thank you for your support and concern. I am so grateful I can return to work and am looking forward to a great day."

Or

"Good morning. How are you guys today? Please sign in."

Depends on whom I a talking to.
Jupadia 05:58 AM 04-05-2019
I closed today, I have a deltal issue with pain and swelling. It took me forever to decide what to do yesterday then I said **** it. Made an appointment for today, and shut down. I know I've inconvenienced at least 2 parents. One of them is newer so they have no idea that I dont close often. But my sub is busy and cant make it, as well I had to get someone to watch my own kid while I go.
Blackcat31 06:04 AM 04-05-2019
I require parents to have a back up plan.
While I don't have emergencies often, I am human and inevitably life will happen.

How inconvenience a family is during an emergency is 100% up to them.

If they have a good back up plan in place, they're only slightly inconvenienced and if they fail to have a back up plan or put off finding one because I am rarely closed, then they'll be extremely inconvenienced.

But NONE of that has anything to do with me.

Glad you weren't having a heart attack but please don't apologize for addressing your health needs.

There's a BIG difference between you having to close a day or two and not being able to work ever again!

Take care of YOU first ALWAYS
rosieteddy 07:11 AM 04-05-2019
I would not give them to many details.The fact that you haven't closed much is testament to the serious situation.Greet them with usual greeting.If pushed maybe say something like this is why we all have sick/personal days and /or backup.Just glad it wasn't a heart attack.
LittleExplorers 07:13 AM 04-05-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Parents need back up. Period. If they want, they can choose and pay for a center to lessen the chance of closures, but even in rare times, centers have emergencies.

Glad everything is ok! If a parent has any issues, I would be looking to replace them asap.
Snowmom 07:30 AM 04-05-2019
I'm happy things went better than anticipated!

Personally, I wouldn't say anything regarding why/how/what. They are not family to me. I'd leave it at: "I'm feeling good, thank you for your understanding yesterday."

The more info clients seem to have, the more it can/will affect your business.

As others mentioned, it is THEIR job to have a back up plan. This is family care they've chosen. It is definitely the more economical choice for childcare, but it is not without it's disadvantages. If they want or need guaranteed coverage with no surprises, they should have chosen center care at the premium cost.
knoxmomof2 08:46 AM 04-05-2019
I discuss backup care at interviews. I am dependable and committed and rarely take off, they need to have a plan. That being said, I understand how it feels when you have a new family and don't want them to think you're a slacker. You can either leave it and let them see that you're rarely closed for no reason, or thank them for their understanding and let them know you're so relieved it wasn't a heart attack like you originally suspected. Most people will understand when you mention a possible heart attack and if they don't, nothing you say is going to make a difference anyway.

So glad you're well!!! I know it's hard, but like others have said : this is a business and the families will do what is best for them first and foremost. You need to do the same.
Mom2Two 09:56 AM 04-05-2019
Originally Posted by knoxmomof2:
I discuss backup care at interviews. I am dependable and committed and rarely take off, they need to have a plan. That being said, I understand how it feels when you have a new family and don't want them to think you're a slacker. You can either leave it and let them see that you're rarely closed for no reason, or thank them for their understanding and let them know you're so relieved it wasn't a heart attack like you originally suspected. Most people will understand when you mention a possible heart attack and if they don't, nothing you say is going to make a difference anyway.

So glad you're well!!! I know it's hard, but like others have said : this is a business and the families will do what is best for them first and foremost. You need to do the same.

Michael 01:35 PM 04-05-2019
I went to the emergency room when I was 30 thinking I was having a heart attack. I couldn't breath and the pain in my chest was bad. They told me I had pleurisy. I know how you felt! Glad that's all it was. Don't let your parents give you an anxiety attack. That pain is just as bad.
Mike 03:51 PM 04-06-2019
As everyone else has said, you come first.
AmyKidsCo 01:18 PM 04-08-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I require parents to have a back up plan.
While I don't have emergencies often, I am human and inevitably life will happen.

If they have a good back up plan in place, they're only slightly inconvenienced and if they fail to have a back up plan or put off finding one because I am rarely closed, then they'll be extremely inconvenienced.

Glad you weren't having a heart attack but please don't apologize for addressing your health needs.

There's a BIG difference between you having to close a day or two and not being able to work ever again!

As always, Black Cat has words of wisdom.

Parents need to have a back up plan, period. If they don't, it's not my problem.

Not to mention, I'll bet that parent has called in to work at least once in the past year. You have the same right.
Tags:medical issues, pleurisy, sick day - reasons
Reply Up