Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Who Has or Ever Had a Complicated State Licensure?
LITTLESTARS 07:36 AM 05-06-2019
I have a very picky licensure I'm out of Boston MA, I also just heard from another area provider that she gave a surprise visit and that provider had 30 non compliances, and that same licensure is closing down or downsizing licenses I'm no body to judge but 30 is way to much for me lol I have only had with her the max of 6 and they were very simple fixes and she just left from my program on Wednesday to do my unannounced renewal visit and things went smoothly, she is very opinionated and since she IS my area licensure I never argue her points just take them as suggestions.. who has had a picky or difficult licensure ?????
DaveA 07:57 AM 05-06-2019
I had a temp rep one time after my long term rep left. The lady was NOT happy to be sent to another area and came in p*ssed at everything. 5 pages of violations later she got on her broomstick on flew off. I talked to other providers in the area who dealt with her and she was beyond rude horrible to everyone. Several got hammered to the point of almost quitting on the spot. I told the supervisor if she showed up again she was getting told to get the #$%^ off my property and I'd mail in my license. Apparently I wasn't the only one who said something similar. We got a new rep shortly after and never saw her again.
LostMyMarbles 08:52 AM 05-06-2019
Originally Posted by DaveA:
I had a temp rep one time after my long term rep left. The lady was NOT happy to be sent to another area and came in p*ssed at everything. 5 pages of violations later she got on her broomstick on flew off. I talked to other providers in the area who dealt with her and she was beyond rude horrible to everyone. Several got hammered to the point of almost quitting on the spot. I told the supervisor if she showed up again she was getting told to get the #$%^ off my property and I'd mail in my license. Apparently I wasn't the only one who said something similar. We got a new rep shortly after and never saw her again.
My my, I had broom Hilda in 2010. Same deal, a sub , even worse A NEWBIE! She rip me apart. I had the most incredible, stupid, yes I used a bad word, non compliances. She said my swings were broken. It was freakin winter! My swings were taken down and stored for the season. My corrective action plan was a sarcastic as her writing the non compliance. I called and complained. Never saw her again.

I gave had the best gal ever for 5 years. She has a brain, and a heart. And she is not a power hungry kind of person.
Mom2Two 01:26 PM 05-06-2019
One of the secretaries who works for the state used to be soooo snotty and sarcastic and downright rude. It was so bad that I felt like I could almost never call the office for help, because it felt like dealing with a toxic, abusive person. I have no idea how she kept her job. I always wondered if she was related to someone.

But I also know that the state workers have each other's back and we providers often got thrown under the bus.

One of the best things that has happened in our state is to have a facebook group that includes some folk from the state but mainly providers.

I really think that our beefing on the group has helped make things better. Before that, we were mostly so isolated, except for some small groups of providers who would organize small face-to-face trainings with each other. But now we can support each other, share experiences and knowledge, and back up each other's stories of hardship from the state.

And the secretary has been much, much, more respectful and reasonable for the past year.
springv 07:22 PM 05-06-2019
Had a lady come from 2 hours away from us and we only got 7 violations but they were all fixed and she recently came back and said everything was good. Think the first time she wanted to look around and leave
Meeko 06:54 AM 05-07-2019
If you ever get written up on something you disagree with...FIGHT.

I've been a provider for almost 35 years now. I always prided myself on perfect inspections every time.

About 15 years ago, I had a visit from a licenser who was well known for being difficult. Back then, they would do an inspection and then send out a letter saying what violations you had.
I KNEW I was in perfect compliance, but here came a letter with seven violations listed. I was livid.

She had seen one of my sons (who wasn't part of the daycare and had an outside job) greet one of the kids as he passed him. He ruffled his hair and said "Hi buddy!"

She wrote that my son was working in the daycare and had no training records etc. He wasn't a worker...had all the right background checks etc as he lived here. I guess she thought talking to a child made him a worker.

Utah law states at least one provider must have CPR/First Aid. My husband (my helper) had been very ill and his certificate had run out. But no problem as I had mine. She told be "at least one" means two have to be currently certified.

The list went on with ridiculous "violations".

I called her and she would not listen. Told me she had already turned in the report and it couldn't be changed.

So I wrote to Salt Lake City HQ.

They repealed each and every one of the findings and told me the licensor would be receiving "training".

It wasn't as simple as it sounds and ended up with Utah changing the way they do inspections now. There is now a very clear checklist. Licensers can only go by the checklist and can have NO personal input. All real violations have to be discussed the moment they are found or at the end of the inspection.

Inspections are now very fair and actually, if a provider gets written up, they deserve it. The regs are clear as day and as long as you are doing what the checklist says, you can't go wrong.
I still don't agree with every reg (and nor does my licenser, who is the head licenser for this area) but it's nothing huge. We roll our eyes and move on.

But fight if you disagree with a finding. I was able to help change the way the the state did inspections because I refused to back down.
Gemma 08:54 AM 05-09-2019
Originally Posted by DaveA:

Mine have been picky ( that's their job ) but always nice and supportive.
Tags:licensure, licensure in massachusetts, massachusetts member
Reply Up