Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Switch to Whole Milk
Pandaluver21 09:11 AM 05-20-2019
I have a little one that is about 8 months old. Mom started feeding him baby food/rice cereal around 4 months. I waited until he was 6 months and make him some food here, but made sure formula was still his main diet (I don't think it was at home)
Today he got dropped off with a gallon of whole milk and mom said he had switched. I was kind of taken back and didn't know what to say. I pretty much said that we would do whole milk eventually and I was going to finish the formula I had for him, to which she agreed.
I probably only have a couple weeks of formula though, and it just feels weird to give a 8 month old whole milk. I have never had a parent switch before 12 months. I assume it's a price thing, as forumla is crazy expensive... but I'm not sure what to say/do.
(I know if I don't want to give it to him, I will just tell her that, but wanted to get some opinions on what you have/would say or do)
Pestle 09:22 AM 05-20-2019
WTH no way! It is not medically appropriate or acceptable to take an eight-month-old off of formula. Tell the parents that they will be providing formula, full stop.

Optionally, if you're ready to lose them over it but also to follow through on your threat, tell them that if they are not providing formula at home, this is neglect and you are obligated to report it.

Whether you tell them that or not, I would honestly consider reporting them if you think they are not providing formula at home. You would probably still lose them over it because it will be obvious who reported them, but there is no going back from missing out on essential nutrition at this early life stage. This child needs somebody in their corner and the parents aren't it.
lovemykidstoo 09:22 AM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by Pandaluver21:
I have a little one that is about 8 months old. Mom started feeding him baby food/rice cereal around 4 months. I waited until he was 6 months and make him some food here, but made sure formula was still his main diet (I don't think it was at home)
Today he got dropped off with a gallon of whole milk and mom said he had switched. I was kind of taken back and didn't know what to say. I pretty much said that we would do whole milk eventually and I was going to finish the formula I had for him, to which she agreed.
I probably only have a couple weeks of formula though, and it just feels weird to give a 8 month old whole milk. I have never had a parent switch before 12 months. I assume it's a price thing, as forumla is crazy expensive... but I'm not sure what to say/do.
(I know if I don't want to give it to him, I will just tell her that, but wanted to get some opinions on what you have/would say or do)
I'm on food program, so that's my easy way out. I have never in 18 years had anyone under a year even ask.
Pandaluver21 09:28 AM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by Pestle:
WTH
Optionally, if you're ready to lose them over it but also to follow through on your threat, tell them that if they are not providing formula at home, this is neglect and you are obligated to report it.
I thought about that too. I can't understand why she would think it was ok?! I am really hoping she didn't get the ok from her Ped.

Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I'm on food program, so that's my easy way out. I have never in 18 years had anyone under a year even ask.
I am not on the food program, but was thinking it would make things easier if I was :P I haven't had this issue before, and I've been doing this for over 10 years!
BumbleBee 09:46 AM 05-20-2019
I've gotten Dr notes to switch at 9, 10, 11 months but never 8 months.

Personally I would tell her you are required to do formula until age 1 without a dr's note.
DaveA 10:34 AM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by BumbleBee:
I've gotten Dr notes to switch at 9, 10, 11 months but never 8 months.

Personally I would tell her you are required to do formula until age 1 without a dr's note.
This would be the way I would go.
Pandaluver21 10:51 AM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by BumbleBee:
Yep, this is the plan.
Michael 12:53 PM 05-20-2019
Nutrition experts say formula or breast milk for the first year.
Pandaluver21 01:16 PM 05-21-2019
Well I told her at pickup that I wouldn't be giving whole milk to him until he's 12 months unless she gets a doctors note. She wasn't thrilled but took it ok. She said "well that's just silly"
She said she'll have a doctors not for him next week
lovemykidstoo 01:43 PM 05-21-2019
Originally Posted by Pandaluver21:
Well I told her at pickup that I wouldn't be giving whole milk to him until he's 12 months unless she gets a doctors note. She wasn't thrilled but took it ok. She said "well that's just silly"
She said she'll have a doctors not for him next week
Can't wait to see that note lol
proudmommyofthree 02:26 PM 05-21-2019
I am going through the same thing my client’s baby is 10 months old and only has enough breast milk for one more week. Mom told me to start whole milk. I told her I couldn’t without a doctors note. Well today she says she called the doctor and is picking up the note. I told her I couldn’t accept it since I’m on the food program and it is required to give formula or breast milk till age 12 months. She was not and she does not want to do formula 😒 I have a call in to my food rep. Seeing what they say.
e.j. 02:31 PM 05-21-2019
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Can't wait to see that note lol
She may get one. I had a dcm who changed over from formula to milk at 8m to save money. I thought for sure she'd have a hard time getting a note from her doctor but she had no problem getting it.
e.j. 02:35 PM 05-21-2019
Originally Posted by proudmommyofthree:
I am going through the same thing my client’s baby is 10 months old and only has enough breast milk for one more week. Mom told me to start whole milk. I told her I couldn’t without a doctors note. Well today she says she called the doctor and is picking up the note. I told her I couldn’t accept it since I’m on the food program and it is required to give formula or breast milk till age 12 months. She was not and she does not want to do formula 😒 I have a call in to my food rep. Seeing what they say.
I quit the food program in January but when I was a member, I had to agree to provide the formula if the parent requested it.
lovemykidstoo 06:34 PM 05-21-2019
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I quit the food program in January but when I was a member, I had to agree to provide the formula if the parent requested it.
I just went through 2 families that wanted almond milk vs cows milk at 12 months of age. Almond milk is not credible on FP but if they give doctor's note it is. So if the doctor writes something different in their dietary needs, you should be able to claim it still
Pandaluver21 07:11 PM 06-04-2019
Update! :P
Mom came in the following Monday and said "I didn't have time to go to the doctor, so here's some formula"
Two weeks later, he's still on formula I'm assuming she contacted the doctor and couldn't get a letter. Or she didn't want to hassle with it.
Tags:anemia, developmental issues, formula, infant - meals, milk, nutritional neglect, whole milk-before 1
Reply Up