Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What to Say If Prospective Is Asking Certain Questions
trix23 11:01 AM 06-11-2019
I'm curious as to what you all do if a prospective client is asking questions like if your sub is a male or female, if you have cameras, where your kids are (during an after-hours interview), how much you charge if it's the first thing they ask, etc.
rosieteddy 11:07 AM 06-11-2019
I always just answered there questions.I never understood when other providers would get mad at the money question.I did not offer that on the phone unless specifically asked,but I would give them the range of cost.I found if it was to much money ,why waist our time.The other questions though seem annoying I would just tell them.I usually had everything printed out at interview.We would go over it and then they took home the packet.They then could call with questions or concerns.
Ac114 11:22 AM 06-11-2019
Originally Posted by trix23:
I'm curious as to what you all do if a prospective client is asking questions like if your sub is a male or female, if you have cameras, where your kids are (during an after-hours interview), how much you charge if it's the first thing they ask, etc.
I always tell them my pricing upfront when the inquire. I don’t want to waste my time if it’s out of their price range. As far as the other questions, the are annoying but I answer anyways. No they don’t need to meet my children, yes I have cameras for my viewing only, and I do not have a substitute but if it was a male (it would be my husband) then answer matter of fact and move on.
e.j. 12:12 PM 06-11-2019
Like the others have said, I'd be upfront and honest in answering any questions a parent might have with regard to my day care program. I was a day care parent when my son was an infant so I've been in their shoes. I understand, for the most part, why they ask the questions they do so it doesn't bother me to answer them. I'd rather know right away if there are deal breakers that would keep them from signing up with me; it saves us both time and energy.
sahm1225 12:20 PM 06-11-2019
I never understood why asking rates was a negative thing. I did An inquiry online for payroll service and my first question was what are your rates. Then the second question was, what does that rate get me. It’s not like rate was the ONLY important thing, but it’s one of the important ones.

There’s millions of online articles about what questions you should ask, so I just take it as they did their homework and answer their questions. Now, If they're asking me things like ‘what times is your husband home?’ Or ‘how often do you deposit payment checks?’ I would turn it around and ask why would they ask that question!
Josiegirl 12:31 PM 06-11-2019
Every provider has their own personal line they don't want interviewees crossing. Only you know where that line is. If you feel questions are getting too personal, then avoid answering them. I dislike when the first question that pops out is cost but it's also one of the most important things parents are going to want to know so there's really no way to avoid that.
I had one mom ask me 'when you and your dh argue or fight, where do you do it? Do you do it in front of the kids?' I have no idea how I answered, it was years ago. But I remember thinking WTH kind of question is that?
But most questions I'd be pretty upfront and open about; after all, their LO could possibly be spending as much awake time with you as at home.
Unregistered 01:39 PM 06-11-2019
I looked up the online lists that parents are to ask providers. Then I typed up my answers to each and included them in my parent handbook. It gets emailed to the parents prior to meeting.
knoxmomof2 01:56 PM 06-11-2019
I haven't been asked any weird questions in a while. When I did, I was new so I answered them. I was asked what was behind certain doors in my home and did we own our rent. The dck proceeded to lead himself through my home and settle himself with a toy in my den at the back of the house (the opposite direction from the daycare space). The Mom had already moved the interview time back 3 times and my family was waiting on supper. What a mess....I would still probably answer the questions today, but would consider them red flags against working with the family.

I have no problem discussing my rate up front. They need to know that they're paying regardless of attendance and how much. If that's an issue, it won't work out. I've had someone try to haggle (that IS tacky IMO). I immediately shut that down.

The question that I find very common, yet odd, is what does your Husband do. I've never been able to figure out what that tells them. Like I would say "he's a drug dealer" or "he's an unemployed freeloader who plays Xbox all day", you know?! (He's not any of those, fyi... Lol) I've been asked what my Husband does more than I've been asked if I'm licensed or CPR certified. Go figure
DaveA 04:20 AM 06-12-2019
The rate question I don't mind because if I'm not in their price range it gets that out of the way quickly.

As for cameras my response is that this is my home and I don't have them to respect the privacy of my family members.

I schedule interviews for the evenings specifically so they can meet the rest of my family. DD & DS usually just walk by, say "Hi", and go back to whatever they're doing. Since DW is my main sub she usually sets in for a couple minutes. She'll tell them what she does for a living if they don't ask.

Now if these questions (minus the rate one) are happening during the first phone call/ email that raises a mild red flag to me. I'll still do the interview but it will cause me to think about a family more before enrolling.

The for me is some variation of "Who actually watches the kids?" I've never had a parent ask that then getting to the point of me offering them an enrollment.
Cat Herder 05:46 AM 06-12-2019
Originally Posted by DaveA:
The for me is some variation of "Who actually watches the kids?" I've never had a parent ask that then getting to the point of me offering them an enrollment.
That seems to be becoming a common question. It isn't always what you think.

Here it is because "providers" are getting their homes licensed as if they are providing care, charging a full rate and then hiring out the work *cheap* to others without training/experience and more specifically without citizenship. They are essentially hosting unskilled illegal labor without background checks or the parents' knowledge. It is also against regulations.
Blackcat31 06:08 AM 06-12-2019
Originally Posted by knoxmomof2:

The question that I find very common, yet odd, is what does your Husband do. I've never been able to figure out what that tells them. Like I would say "he's a drug dealer" or "he's an unemployed freeloader who plays Xbox all day", you know?!
Oh my goodness....this is THE BEST reply ever~
I'm so using that answer next time someone asks.

It will be more than worth it just to see the reaction.
lovemykidstoo 06:11 AM 06-12-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

LOL I actually used to say that all the time because for 16 years my husband was a pharm rep. So I said he was a drug dealer hahaha! Their faces.
hwichlaz 09:21 AM 06-12-2019
In my area, 7 out of 10 providers have cop husbands...so that is probably the motivation here, lol.

My answer has often been followed up by the parent wanting to be sure firearms are properly stored.
knoxmomof2 01:54 PM 06-12-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Might be fun to if it's a family I know I don't want to work with
knoxmomof2 01:54 PM 06-12-2019
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
LOL I actually used to say that all the time because for 16 years my husband was a pharm rep. So I said he was a drug dealer hahaha! Their faces.
Haha
Gemma 09:47 AM 06-13-2019
Originally Posted by trix23:
No matter what the question, I always answer honestly!
If they like my answers they enroll with me, and if they don't like my answers, I won't want them to enroll
Tags:interview questions, professionalism, red flags
Reply Up