Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Volunteers
Cat Herder 12:20 PM 07-23-2019
When you have parent volunteers, how do you deal with their children acting out when it is time for them to leave?

Do you have a policy that they must take their kids with them when they go? Do you do something else? If so, what?
Annalee 01:22 PM 07-23-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
When you have parent volunteers, how do you deal with their children acting out when it is time for them to leave?

Do you have a policy that they must take their kids with them when they go? Do you do something else? If so, what?
If my parents attend a party or other event they must take their kid with them when they leave. That’s why I do all events in The morning usually no one come this way
AmyKidsCo 01:23 PM 07-23-2019
I plan parent volunteer events in the afternoon so it makes sense for them to take their child with them when they leave.
Cat Herder 01:31 PM 07-23-2019
Originally Posted by Annalee:
If my parents attend a party or other event they must take their kid with them when they leave. That’s why I do all events in The morning usually no one come this way
Not a bad plan, there.
Cat Herder 01:32 PM 07-23-2019
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I plan parent volunteer events in the afternoon so it makes sense for them to take their child with them when they leave.
That could work well with an afternoon snack and storytime event.

Has anyone not taken the hint? Should it be written into the policy or just implied?
DaveA 01:50 PM 07-23-2019
The only time I use parent volunteers is our end of summer zoo trip. There I have a hard break-I’m loading the car up. Either take your child or see you at pickup. Otherwise I would probably recommend DCPs take their child after they are done volunteering.
grandmom 03:17 PM 07-23-2019
I don't do anything that requires parent involvement. I used to. It never turned out well. Not once. Their child became unbearable. Now licensing is pushing for more parent involvement with culture and language stuff. No idea how I'm going to deal with that.
e.j. 05:29 PM 07-23-2019
That could work well with an afternoon snack and storytime event.

Has anyone not taken the hint? Should it be written into the policy or just implied?
There will always be someone at some point who will not take the hint. If you have certain expectations about what should happen when the volunteer parent leaves (whether the child is acting out or not), you should include it in your written policy rather than leave it to chance. I have a written policy in my parent handbook that states if a parent pops in for a visit and the child becomes upset as the parent is leaving, the parent needs to be prepared to take the child with them. It's taken me over 20 years to figure it out but you need to spell out what you want them to do because parents often don't consider how their actions impact you and the rest of the kids.
rosieteddy 05:24 AM 07-24-2019
Put your policy in the handbook.Parents rarely take the hint.It is hard for the child to see their parent leave again after drop off.I would plan things for the last hour if possible.
Annalee 06:07 AM 07-24-2019
We have to offer an opportunity for parents to participate monthly per the new re-vamped report card for the parent engagement component. So it takes some craftiness due to the issues posted in this thread for sure!
Cat Herder 06:24 AM 07-24-2019
Originally Posted by grandmom:
Now licensing is pushing for more parent involvement with culture and language stuff. No idea how I'm going to deal with that.
We have to offer an opportunity for parents to participate monthly per the new re-vamped report card for the parent engagement component. So it takes some craftiness due to the issues posted in this thread for sure!
This is where I find myself. I do have a policy that if a parent wants to drop in to inspect, they are welcome but must take their child with them when they go. One drop off and pick-up per family, per day, to minimize traffic for my neighbors.

Volunteering is different, though, and the wording of the new "guidelines" leads me to believe that policy would cost me points to my rating. It even suggests extra activities to make the parent leaving easier on the parent.

It did give me a loophole of volunteer opportunities that a parent completes in their own home like cutting out construction paper templates for crafts, preparing snacks, recording well-known classroom books in another language on tape (to build up a language library for emersion) or even typing up newsletters. Weekend activities count too. They were adamant that we supply everything, parents do not pay anything extra.

It is pretty clear the expectation is that all parents participate although I did not gather how many times per year is preferred. (two conferences minimum was clear )
Annalee 06:44 AM 07-24-2019
This is where I find myself. I do have a policy that if a parent wants to drop in to inspect, they are welcome but must take their child with them when they go. One drop off and pick-up per family, per day, to minimize traffic for my neighbors.

Volunteering is different, though, and the wording of the new "guidelines" leads me to believe that policy would cost me points to my rating. It even suggests extra activities to make the parent leaving easier on the parent.

It did give me a loophole of volunteer opportunities that a parent completes in their own home like cutting out construction paper templates for crafts, preparing snacks, recording well-known classroom books in another language on tape (to build up a language library for emersion) or even typing up newsletters. Weekend activities count too. They were adamant that we supply everything, parents do not pay anything extra.

It is pretty clear the expectation is that all parents participate although I did not gather how many times per year is preferred. (two conferences minimum was clear )
Our conferences are listed separate from the monthly parent involvement. We have to offer a milestone chart three times a year. They give us some tools to choose from. What I do for that is say i am going to be available from xxx to xxx on xxx day please make an appt. many times no one makes an appointment but I offered.
Cat Herder 07:09 AM 07-24-2019
Our conferences are listed separate from the monthly parent involvement. We have to offer a milestone chart three times a year. They give us some tools to choose from. What I do for that is say i am going to be available from xxx to xxx on xxx day please make an appt. many times no one makes an appointment but I offered.
Sounds good! I already do the ASQ's 4 times per year and have them sign for quick conferences (15 minutes, unless we need a behavior plan or they have concerns. I send home the questionnaire a week before I make appointments.) three times per year.

I feel awkward asking them to volunteer, though. It's like saying I need help. I must change my mindset, I suppose. See it as giving them an opportunity to participate. IDK I can't see them asking me to help with their jobs. "Hey Mrs. Cat Herder, my classroom baseboards need cleaning, can you help a sister out?" Sure, I'd go, I'd love to see their classrooms.
Annalee 08:10 AM 07-24-2019
Sounds good! I already do the ASQ's 4 times per year and have them sign for quick conferences (15 minutes, unless we need a behavior plan or they have concerns. I send home the questionnaire a week before I make appointments.) three times per year.

I feel awkward asking them to volunteer, though. It's like saying I need help. I must change my mindset, I suppose. See it as giving them an opportunity to participate. IDK I can't see them asking me to help with their jobs. "Hey Mrs. Cat Herder, my classroom baseboards need cleaning, can you help a sister out?" Sure, I'd go, I'd love to see their classrooms.
I feel like telling the state “and we are supposed to watch the kids when??”
HHangout 06:56 PM 07-31-2019
Parents can be involved by borrowing library books or contributing other material via donation list. Maybe they have a favorite snack or meal that you could include on the menu? Or prepare a recipe book based off family input? if you do part time, maybe a parent wants to come in with their child on their off day to read cultural books or do a cultural activity? That child would be there once for like an hour with parent so it shouldnt be a licensing issue? Or have a parent come in last hour for this--parent involvement opportunity but one at a time. I say with a question mark in case Im wrong.

I liked to put on Mother's Say and Father's day (Mister and Misses and Dudes and Dudettes for inclusiveness) events, but that was center activity and older kids in school-age. All other family events in a center was never a big issue. But I agree with others, plan it for the last hour or so. That way they can pick up but it is easier on them to leave early from their jobs and is more respectful of their time, too.
Tags:parent volunteers, qris, visitors during workday, volunteer
Reply Up