Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should Male Recovered Schizophrenics Be Banned from Child Care During Church Service?
Unregistered 03:00 PM 08-06-2019
I am a male who was diagnosed with schizophrenia. I am hoping to volunteer in different areas of the church. I have reservations about child care because I was told males should not be in child care. In addition having a clinical diagnosis makes it much more inappropriate.

It is parallel to the idea that schizophrenics are not allowed to touch guns. The idea is that schizophrenics should not be taking care of children.

I am in remission, have no symptoms but am dependent on medication.
lovemykidstoo 03:32 PM 08-06-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am a male who was diagnosed with schizophrenia. I am hoping to volunteer in different areas of the church. I have reservations about child care because I was told males should not be in child care. In addition having a clinical diagnosis makes it much more inappropriate.

It is parallel to the idea that schizophrenics are not allowed to touch guns. The idea is that schizophrenics should not be taking care of children.

I am in remission, have no symptoms but am dependent on medication.
First of all I commend you for getting treatment and living a great life! My brother is schizophrenic and while under proper medication has no problems at all. He is a manager at an adult group home for mentally challenged adults. I don't know how much different that would be than caring for children. I have seen first hand how mental disorders are not handled properly in this country. There is such a terrible stigma to it. In my opinion it's no different than any other illness, but it does have to be managed under a doctor's supervision. I wish you the best of luck!
flying_babyb 05:31 PM 08-07-2019
some of the best teachers I have met are male! dont let anyone tell you you cant! go for it and try.
Ariana 05:31 AM 08-08-2019
As long as you are religiously taking your medication and managing symptoms through other means then I do not see a problem. People with schizophrenia are not more violent nor are they more prone to child abuse so I do not see why it would not be allowed. Being a make should not be a factor at all but I understand how you feel. Do what you feel is right for you.
DaveA 06:06 AM 08-08-2019
In theory it shouldn't make a difference anymore than anyone else evaluating their strengths/ weaknesses with different situations. In practice- yeah you're going to catch some crap both for dealing with schizophrenia and being male. The good news is that most people will be accepting or at least willing to give you a chance to show what you can do. The problem is the people who will be opposed to it will seem to be the most vocal about it. I can't really give advice on how to deal with them as it's pretty individualized to your personality and the situation. Sometimes I'm polite with people who give me grief about being a guy in childcare. Other times….. well let's just say not so much.

My advice is go for it. Start slow and do a bunch of different things where you want to volunteer. That way more people see who you are and your skills. It also helps when the inevitable pain in the rear person starts stuff. Then you have a bunch of people on your side.

Good Luck!
Tags:child abuse prevention, controversial, male providers, mental illness, schizophrenia
Reply Up