Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Categorizing Preschool/Daycare
kcnjason 03:15 PM 08-22-2011
I had posted a few days ago and haven't had any replies so I tried to change the title to hopefully get some response. How do you categorize your daycare/preschool papers/crafts? Holidays, Months, seasons, Alphabet, numbers? It seems that it is so broad. Looking for others ideas on how you categorize all of your papers/activities and do you put them in a filing cabinet? Folder? Binder?
Pammie 04:01 AM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by kcnjason:
How do you categorize your daycare/preschool papers/crafts? Holidays, Months, seasons, Alphabet, numbers?
Yup - all of these
I use a file folder system - old fashioned I know but it works. I'm sure there's probably a better way to organize myself - but I tend to stick with what works for me

I have sections for Alphabet, Numbers, Seasons, Themes, Holidays, Assessments, Portfolios, etc. And then in each section, I have individual folders for each alphabet letter, each season, each color, individual themes, etc.

Each file folder has any master black-line printables that I have used in the past (I never throw anything away) as well as notes/copies of associated activities.

My "theme" folders are by far the largest with activities, ideas and printables that I've used over the years. Within each theme, I have tabs in the folder for:
Kitchen Creations
My World
Science and Nature
Book List of Books to pull from my shelves or to reserve at the library
Songs/Fingerplays
Arts/Crafts

When I'm planning my curriculum for the year, I pull the files and hold them in a separate file box for the month that I'm planning to use them.

Hope that helps! The hardest part for me was just finding a system that worked for me. Good luck!
Reply Up