Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Blow outs
KDC 12:10 PM 01-14-2014
What do you do with baby blowout clothes? I have a 7-1/2 month old that had a poop blow out this morning (might as well have not been wearing a diaper). The cute white onsie he was wearing this morning was black and covered in poop. Do you attempt to rinse it out, or just get some off and put it in a bag? What's your protocol?

Thanks!
melonieb 12:15 PM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by KDC:
What do you do with baby blowout clothes? I have a 7-1/2 month old that had a poop blow out this morning (might as well have not been wearing a diaper). The cute white onsie he was wearing this morning was black and covered in poop. Do you attempt to rinse it out, or just get some off and put it in a bag? What's your protocol?

Thanks!
I always rinse out and wash at my house. I let my parents know that if their child/ren had accidents that bad that I will take care of it. I actually had one parent keep all dirty clothes in her car. She was my first parent. Lesson learned.
Blackcat31 12:21 PM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by KDC:

Thanks!
Unless you have a laundry sink, it usually against regulations to rinse anything with feces in a sink used for hand washing or food prep.

If a baby has a blow-out that gets on their clothing, I just roll it up and toss it in a plastic bag and then warn the parent of the "ick" level.
ihop 12:21 PM 01-14-2014
I put it in a freezer bag and send it home. I don't want to get blamed for washing it wrong and setting the stain plus its not my job, I have enough to do
BrooklynM 12:36 PM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Unless you have a laundry sink, it usually against regulations to rinse anything with feces in a sink used for hand washing or food prep.

If a baby has a blow-out that gets on their clothing, I just roll it up and toss it in a plastic bag and then warn the parent of the "ick" level.
This is the same exact thing I do!
KDC 12:53 PM 01-14-2014
I do have a laundry sink and this is a good family I like a lot, and it was a super cute white onsie. So I put my plastic gloves on and went to work on it. I'm not sure it'll come out (think blueberries or cherries mixed with prunes) But I did my best, I left it wet after rinsing and using a fels naptha bar and some oxy clean on it. I have it in a cpl. plastic baggies. I hope they're able to get it all out. Can't put it in my families washer...it's just an ick factor I can't get over. Thanks again for your input ladies!
Leigh 12:57 PM 01-14-2014
If it's spaghetti sauce or something like that, I'll pretreat the stain and send it home dirty. Poop? I just bag it, put the bag in the garage, and hand it to the parent when they pick up.
KSDC 12:57 PM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by ihop:
I put it in a freezer bag and send it home. I don't want to get blamed for washing it wrong and setting the stain plus its not my job, I have enough to do

BrooklynM 12:57 PM 01-14-2014
Just make sure you check your regs first. In California ours states:

You should never wash or rinse diapers or clothes soiled with stool in the child care setting. Because of the risk of splashing and gross contamination of hands, sinks, and bathroom surfaces, rinsing diapers increases the risk that you, other providers and the children would be exposed to germs that cause infection. All soiled clothing should be put in a plastic bag, securely closed, and sent home with the child without rinsing. (You may dump solid stool into a toilet.) You need to tell parents about this procedure and why it is important. They often request that diapers and training pants be rinsed out to avoid staining.
taylorw1210 01:22 PM 01-14-2014
I have a DCB who frequently has blow outs. I roll it up, throw it in a bag, and hand it over to the parent at the end of the day. I know she's particular with how she washes (her kids wear only gymbo and I believe she only line dries) so I'd rather not deal with it...
kitykids3 05:19 PM 01-14-2014
In a plastic bag to go home.
blandino 05:23 PM 01-14-2014
Into a plastic bag they go. I don't do any scraping, etc. If there is just a ton on there, I might grab some with a gloved hand and a wipe. That would have to mean, there was a huge amount on there.

With solied underwear, they go straight into the bag. No rinsing or scraping here.

I have never thought of pre-treating, but that would be nice for stains with no matter on them. But with my luck, something would turn colors from the pretreated - and a parent would be upset. That always happens when I go out of my way to be nice.
Lucy 05:53 PM 01-14-2014
I do what my mom used to do with cloth diapers -- soak them in the toilet. Then I take a plastic bag over my hand (like picking up dog poop), fish it out of the toilet, bag it, put it on the porch if it smells, and send it home.

That said, I have been known to wash things. If a kid spills food or drink on them, and IF I'm doing a load anyway, I'll throw it in. Especially if they didn't have any clothes to change into. I've had 5 to10 year olds in my husbands t-shirt, like a dress, till their clothes were done. It's by my choice though. I'm not obligated.
Unregistered 06:29 PM 01-14-2014
I've switshed it around in the toilet and them flush to rinse it off like I would a cloth diaper. Then put it in a baggy and send it home!
blandino 06:44 PM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I've switshed it around in the toilet and them flush to rinse it off like I would a cloth diaper. Then put it in a baggy and send it home!
We actually have a licensing regulation against doing that. So it's either sink (which I'm NOT willing to do) or nothing.
jenn 06:50 PM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

MissKrys 07:44 PM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
Just make sure you check your regs first. In California ours states:

You should never wash or rinse diapers or clothes soiled with stool in the child care setting. Because of the risk of splashing and gross contamination of hands, sinks, and bathroom surfaces, rinsing diapers increases the risk that you, other providers and the children would be exposed to germs that cause infection. All soiled clothing should be put in a plastic bag, securely closed, and sent home with the child without rinsing. (You may dump solid stool into a toilet.) You need to tell parents about this procedure and why it is important. They often request that diapers and training pants be rinsed out to avoid staining.
This is what I planned to do, glad it's protocol, lol. I don't want responsibility for damaging the clothing, washing it with a detergent the parents don't like, etc. I think it's best to bag it up and let them deal with it.
MotherNature 04:52 AM 01-15-2014
Put it in a plastic bag and hand it to the parents.
coolconfidentme 04:55 AM 01-15-2014
Bag it & tag it!!
Tags:blow outs, poop - blow out
Reply Up