Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would You Do?
Core12 09:14 AM 02-11-2019
I interviewed a couple in January for an infant opening in July. The couple said they had another interview at another daycare and would get back with us in a couple of weeks. After a couple of weeks I touched base with her and basically just said I looked forward to hearing from her soon and it was nice meeting them.
Today, I texted that I would need an answer so I could advertise if needed. The wife states it between us and another provider and they will make their decision tonight. I’m annoyed that I assumed they were going to pick us and now wish I could say, “sorry, we are full!”
Rockgirl 09:19 AM 02-11-2019
I continue interviewing until I have paperwork and money in my hand. I also let parents know I’m interviewing others, so they don’t assume they can dawdle around (plus, half the decision is mine).
Cat Herder 09:23 AM 02-11-2019
I would not really discuss it further until June at which time I'd choose the family I felt was best for my group and offer them the slot.

A lot can change in 4 months.

I am the one conducting the interview. Not the other way around.
Msdunny 09:48 AM 02-11-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I would not really discuss it further until June at which time I'd choose the family I felt was best for my group and offer them the slot.

This is how I feel. I don't like interviewing for spots that are more than 4 weeks from being filled. And I do not wait on parents to go through a lengthy decision making process. If I haven't gotten a definitive answer in 3-4 days, I move on...even if I don't have anyone to move on to.
Lil_Diddle 08:54 PM 02-11-2019
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
I continue interviewing until I have paperwork and money in my hand. I also let parents know I’m interviewing others, so they don’t assume they can dawdle around (plus, half the decision is mine).
EXACTLY! I learned the hard way. I don’t wait for anyone and I don’t hold spots until the full deposit is in hand. I should state that the deposit is only refunded once they start care and it goes towards their final two weeks. Otherwise if they pay me to hold a spot and change their mind. That’s too bad.
Josiegirl 02:03 AM 02-12-2019
Yes, I never count on anyone's decision until they've given me a nonrefundable holding fee and their paperwork, no matter how well I think the interview went. And I'm sure, since they don't need a spot until summer they're in no rush. JMO but the more contact you offer them, the more desperate it makes you look.
DaveA 03:35 AM 02-12-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

This. I wouldn't want to be beholden to parental whims 4 months out.
amberrose3dg 03:49 AM 02-12-2019
Originally Posted by DaveA:
This. I wouldn't want to be beholden to parental whims 4 months out.
All of this! Make sure you are interviewing them not them interviewing you. It will make your life easier. Also do not hold spots especially with no money for 4 months.
redmaple 08:38 AM 02-12-2019
Should they eventually opt to pick your daycare, it does not mean you have to pick their family. You can say you have not made your final decision between a few families, and that you will let them know shortly.
e.j. 12:23 PM 02-12-2019
Originally Posted by Core12:
Today, I texted that I would need an answer so I could advertise if needed.
I would go ahead and advertise; I wouldn't wait for them to make a decision. If you find someone else to fill the spot and the first family calls back wanting to enroll, you can always explain that since you hadn't heard from them, you assumed they weren't interested. Waiting for them to make a decision before you can advertise the spot to others is allowing them to hold you and your income hostage. While I get that they may want to take the time to make sure they're making the right decision for them, this waiting game isn't fair to you.
knoxmomof2 12:37 PM 02-12-2019
Yeah, I've learned not to wait on people - all they are concerned about is their needs - not yours. You need to be concerned about your needs - filling the spot with the best candidate. If they're a good fit, I do a 24 hour email / text, thanking them for their time and letting them know I'm here if they have any questions. I don't pursue after that. It should be an easy process, if it's not, you're pushing something that isn't meant to be. I know you want to fill a spot, but you can fill it with someone who's not sure and bails in 2 months or someone who wants to be there and stays for quite a while. Plus, you have time on your side with this spot. Find a good match for your program.

PS- Until you have some kind of financial commitment (like a nonrefundable deposit), keep advertising especially with a future spot. People will tell you all day they're going to do something, but if they have to put money behind it, you'll get a much more sincere answer 😁 And if they flake, the deposit gives you a financial cushion while you work on filling the spot.
Tags:interview - checklist
Reply Up