Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Extended Leave Policy
CountryRoads 06:22 AM 02-20-2019
Right now, I require $50/week to hold your spot. This does not include any days of care.

I have a family who is having another baby this summer. I think I should change my policy - or just take it out completely. My thought is, why should I lose money so someone else can save? Plus, she can still bring their child to daycare if they choose to so she can spend time with the new baby. I just worry that changing it now when I know they will be using it looks bad.

What is your policy?
Blackcat31 06:25 AM 02-20-2019
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
Right now, I require $50/week to hold your spot. This does not include any days of care.

I have a family who is having another baby this summer. I think I should change my policy - or just take it out completely. My thought is, why should I lose money so someone else can save? Plus, she can still bring their child to daycare if they choose to so she can spend time with the new baby. I just worry that changing it now when I know they will be using it looks bad.

What is your policy?

What is your policy?
The only thing I hold is babies.

If a spot is open, I require payment in full.
My rates are based on enrollment not attendance or time used.

I refuse to lose money so someone else can save money.

I am a business. My goal is to generate income.
If I allow one family an extended leave (for whatever reason) I would have to allow others the same courtesy.

So nope. Full payment is required.

I would do this for the baby too....even if the baby isn't old enough to start care. If the space is open and the parent wants it, they pay for it.
Cat Herder 06:26 AM 02-20-2019
Take it out. You won't regret it. Your first priority is your family, not theirs. If you can't pay your bills, you can't offer high-quality care. It really is that simple.

My policy: No pay, No stay. Next.
CountryRoads 06:32 AM 02-20-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The only thing I hold is babies.

If a spot is open, I require payment in full.
My rates are based on enrollment not attendance or time used.

I refuse to lose money so someone else can save money.

I am a business. My goal is to generate income.
If I allow one family an extended leave (for whatever reason) I would have to allow others the same courtesy.

So nope. Full payment is required.

I would do this for the baby too....even if the baby isn't old enough to start care. If the space is open and the parent wants it, they pay for it.
So, when taking a policy out, should I just type something up saying that the extended leave policy is no longer offered, or should I print out my handbook with the changes and have them sign a slip that they acknowledge the changes?
Blackcat31 06:38 AM 02-20-2019
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
So, when taking a policy out, should I just type something up saying that the extended leave policy is no longer offered, or should I print out my handbook with the changes and have them sign a slip that they acknowledge the changes?
When I make changes I write it out on paper with the date.

"Effective 3/01/2019: Country Roads Child Care will no longer offer an extended leave policy."

Add the sheet to the back of you handbook. The next time you update your handbook (I do mine yearly in September) remove the policy from your book.

When notifying currently attending parents of this change, I email them and request they reply that they received the email. I print off the reply and put it in the child's folder.

Their reply is documentation they were notified.
DaveA 06:41 AM 02-20-2019
I had something similar in my contract. I took it out. A really great long term family I might offer 1/2 rate for a couple months. Otherwise I'm not taking that kind of $$ hit if I can fill the spot.
rosieteddy 09:50 AM 02-20-2019
I never gave extended leave.I played up the benefit to mom in keeping the child on schedule .Mom only has so much time to bond with infant.Older child not feeling neglected.Also I would tell parent picking up early -after nap is a good thing for siblings .Win win.I did insist child arrive no later than 9 am though.
Tags:extended leave, extended leave policy
Reply Up