Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Red Flag?
Mom2Two 12:48 PM 02-21-2019
So one of my New Year's resolution is to become better at vetting when interviewing/preinterviewing.

I had a phone call today with a dad and we have an interview this weekend. But on the phone, when I was going over my sick policy, he kept interrupting me and telling me that he understood.

I know that this social behavior doesn't mean that it would turn out to be a disaster, but I don't really like being interrupted when I'm trying to explain something. I really like to feel understood, and I'm worried it would mean I couldn't have a fantastic relationship with this dad.

Would this be a red flag for you?
Michael 12:59 PM 02-21-2019
Sounds like a know-it-all that doesn't listen. Be prepared to enforce your contract with this one.
Msdunny 02:25 PM 02-21-2019
I am always wary of the parents who don't seem to be listening to me, or who are trying to negotiate my contract. I might still meet with them in person, but be sure to emphasize a trial period, and stick to your guns. Good Luck!
Josiegirl 03:32 PM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
I am always wary of the parents who don't seem to be listening to me, or who are trying to negotiate my contract. I might still meet with them in person, but be sure to emphasize a trial period, and stick to your guns. Good Luck!
I'd do this. I don't like being interrupted either. It can make a person feel disrespected and unimportant. But if everything else clicked I'd try a face to face interview. I think you can tell a lot more about a person, and make sure they bring their kid. Maybe he just wanted to impress you making you think he knows what he's talking about, is a good dad, who knows...? Hard to tell with a phone conversation. And make sure they understand you're interviewing others. Good luck.
knoxmomof2 06:51 PM 02-21-2019
I'd do the interview, but count this as strike 1. If you get the same type of behavior at the interview, I would pass.
Cat Herder 06:18 AM 02-22-2019
I'd do the interview.

He may have had limited time for a phone call and was trying to cue he was out of time, poorly. I would not have expected a call to schedule a tour to take more than 3 minutes, myself. He may not have planned for a full conversation, more expecting to make an appointment. He may even have been caught by his boss making a personal call during business hours. BTDT. I have 11 calls to return now that have been waiting days because I can't get the time for a quiet conversation.

* My husband's job is about 75% on the phone/conference calls so I see him desperately trying to get off the phone to hit the restroom, answer incoming urgent calls, address people who approach him in person everywhere we go and eat a meal while it is still hot. It is a pitiful scene some days. That phone holds him hostage 24/7. We have not had an uninterrupted meal in years.

If he is dismissive in person, go with your gut.
Blackcat31 06:29 AM 02-22-2019
I too wondered about "going over your illness policy" on the phone. I get phone calls daily for care and every time they start asking questions that require more than a yes/no answer I start getting agitated.... I just don't have the time to go over policies on the phone.

I prefer to have phone contact (short and sweet) about openings and times I am available and contact info.

Then I do e-mail contact and ask a few more questions but nothing really policy related. More about setting up a time to meet/tour etc.

I go over the policy specifics during the tour/interview.
Cat Herder 06:38 AM 02-22-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I too wondered about "going over your illness policy" on the phone. I get phone calls daily for care and every time they start asking questions that require more than a yes/no answer I start getting agitated.... I just don't have the time to go over policies on the phone.

I prefer to have phone contact (short and sweet) about openings and times I am available and contact info.

Then I do e-mail contact and ask a few more questions but nothing really policy related. More about setting up a time to meet/tour etc.

I go over the policy specifics during the tour/interview.
Right?

How many times can I say "Ok, I am looking forward to meeting you. I really need to go, now. I work alone and the kids need me.", "I answered that in your email and we will go over it thoroughly in person. Looking forward to meeting you, Friday. I need to run. now. The kids...."

Can they not hear the kids calling my name? The kids ignore me and play happily until I pick up that phone, then the sky is falling.
Blackcat31 06:50 AM 02-22-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Right?

How many times can I say "Ok, I am looking forward to meeting you. I really need to go, now. I work alone and the kids need me.", "I answered that in your email and we will go over it thoroughly in person. Looking forward to meeting you, Friday. I need to run. now. The kids...."

Can they not hear the kids calling my name? The kids ignore me and play happily until I pick up that phone, then the sky is falling.
This made me laugh out loud because I have seriously gone over to my "constant crier" and picked them up and held them so the caller can hear them crying while I try to say loudly for the 15th time "I have to go, I'll see you Friday"

I've done the same thing when I get solicitors at the door...
"Good afternoon Ma'am. Do you have a minute?"

I just stand there holding screaming kid while my face says loud and clear "What do you think?"

Most turn away sloooowly and creep back down the steps.
DaveA 07:04 AM 02-22-2019
I'd schedule the interview. Like others said- there could be a bunch of reasons why he was that way on the phone. Or it may just be his personality.

See what kind of vibe you get during the interview and go from there.
Josiegirl 10:06 AM 02-22-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This made me laugh out loud because I have seriously gone over to my "constant crier" and picked them up and held them so the caller can hear them crying while I try to say loudly for the 15th time "I have to go, I'll see you Friday"

I've done the same thing when I get solicitors at the door...
"Good afternoon Ma'am. Do you have a minute?"

I just stand there holding screaming kid while my face says loud and clear "What do you think?"

Most turn away sloooowly and creep back down the steps.
Oh I hate that!! I had a salesman from Spectrum stop at my house the other day right during nap time and I have a dcg who sleeps in the living room, near the door. I open it, he starts his spiel and I cut him off saying I am running a business and have children sleeping, so he starts asking me about the dish on the side of my house(co. never took it away) and tell him I don't have a TV and am not interested. So he asks about internet, blahblah, I say sternly I am not interested. He says I understand but here take my card. I'm practically steaming now and said I AM NOT INTERESTED. Haha He apologizes and walks away. Then I'm thinking about the deal he quoted for internet and say to myself hey, 14.99 a month sounds really good, why didn't I take his card.
I don't get many solicitors at the door these days but Jehovah's Witnesses still show up.
Tags:red flag
Reply Up