Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>State is Being Lenient
Josiegirl 02:30 AM 02-22-2019
Met a dcprovider at the grocery store last night and I've been dropping away from all the meetings, classes, etc. She asked me if I was still doing dc and I said yes but told her I wasn't sure if I was going to keep up with it all. She said our FP lady's hours have been dropped to 20 hrs. a week and that the state has gotten more lenient(turning a blind eye?) to providers due to the fact that providers have been quitting and there's just not enough child care available, especially infant care.
Hmmm, kind of the reverse effect of what the state wanted from quality child care I'd say.
Why, whenever the state gets involved, it's not usually a good thing?
Sunchimes 06:00 AM 02-22-2019
This is what will happen if Warren wins and starts universal daycare.
Blackcat31 06:07 AM 02-22-2019
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Met a dcprovider at the grocery store last night and I've been dropping away from all the meetings, classes, etc. She asked me if I was still doing dc and I said yes but told her I wasn't sure if I was going to keep up with it all. She said our FP lady's hours have been dropped to 20 hrs. a week and that the state has gotten more lenient(turning a blind eye?) to providers due to the fact that providers have been quitting and there's just not enough child care available, especially infant care.
Hmmm, kind of the reverse effect of what the state wanted from quality child care I'd say.
Why, whenever the state gets involved, it's not usually a good thing?
Yep, our state has been driving providers out of business now for a few years. I think it's all part of their master plan......

What?! A daycare shortage??? Well we better enact free universal daycare for everyone then....

I'm sorry but I am so sick and tired of this one for all and all for one mentality. Universal anything is just plain stupid.

One size does NOT fit all....

I know this to be true. I bought some socks yesterday that said so. It's a lie.
Cat Herder 06:47 AM 02-22-2019
It's the same here. I am the only family provider left in my little town.

Well, ok, I am the only legal family provider in my little town.
LittleExplorers 11:49 AM 02-22-2019
They just opened a 4k program with daycare around it in our town's school district. They sited the shortage and almost all the providers went and spoke about openings they have in the prek age group. The school didn't care and will charge more for prek and wrap around care along with charging for lunch. What will they do when the babies have no place to go due to all these prek places and a small limit on the number of babies we can take?
Cat Herder 11:55 AM 02-22-2019
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
What will they do when the babies have no place to go due to all these prek places and a small limit on the number of babies we can take?
I already know the answer to this because I asked my own inspector.

They will turn a blind eye unless they have complaints of egregious violations (kids sleeping in dog crates, no power/water, 22/1 ratio, etc.), injury or death. They don't have the funding to inspect illegal providers, only the legal ones will be investigated. There was no answer to "how many deaths does it take to get the funding?"

But >insert glitter unicorn flatulance< "we won't list them on our available providers' webpage."
springv 05:04 PM 02-22-2019
Had a child come to our center from a licensed exempt daycare up the road from us. Told one girl that if they don't watch it, they will be shut down
Josiegirl 02:31 AM 02-23-2019
One of my dcms was telling me about a dc about 15 minutes from me, that she doesn't think is licensed. One of her nieces goes to it and dcm couldn't find it listed on the state providers web page. The reason why she started looking was because the provider was feeding the dck Karo to help with constipation problems, without the dcm's knowledge until she told dcm what she was doing. This particular dck has a sensitivity to certain sugars.
There appears to be such a dire cc shortage around here, it's sad. This same dcm is training someone at work that just closed her dc.
So unless a dcf wants to bring their child/ren to a center that charges exorbitant prices, the cc options are drastically dropping.
DaveA 05:52 AM 02-24-2019
Along with what CH said I think a big part of it is what's going on in your area. Our area is losing providers but not at a large rate (yet). So licensing is still pretty active about illegal daycares in a "let's help you get licensed" sort of way. The northern part of the state is hemorrhaging providers, so they're looking the other way to avoid making the need for care worse. I know of a provider who was flat out told "don't bother" to license when they tried because they were only going to keep 3-4 kids + their own. If I was in an area like that and had gone through licensing and heard that I'd be hacked.
loischerry 05:12 AM 02-26-2019
Originally Posted by DaveA:
Along with what CH said I think a big part of it is what's going on in your area. Our area is losing providers but not at a large rate (yet). So licensing is still pretty active about illegal daycares in a "let's help you get licensed" sort of way. The northern part of the state is hemorrhaging providers, so they're looking the other way to avoid making the need for care worse. I know of a provider who was flat out told "don't bother" to license when they tried because they were only going to keep 3-4 kids + their own. If I was in an area like that and had gone through licensing and heard that I'd be hacked.
in my area, everyones looking for dc. like EVERYONE i see it all the time people begging on facebook or CL. i get calls daily from people that had my number from before when i worked in a licensed center, and i keep passing them onto others. i learned last week from a friend that ran the inhome i was referring people to is not going to renew her license when it expires in the summer . Licensed centers/homes in my area are closing up shop for 3 reasons 1. the rules, training's and fees associated with licensing now keep being raised and passing those fees onto the parent are making the parents balk at cost. 2. employees are demanding more. more health care coverage, more per hour, PTO, 401k's all that that a center cant provide and keep its overhead, meaning less dcw's. 3. parents dont pay. for whatever reason, and ive heard them all, the fees get so outrageous ( because they want them to pay) that it makes it impossible for parents to pay. causing the center to use up its resources for payroll. i work only for my family since the center i worked in closed. they closed because there were so many family's in arrears that they were using their supply/bill payment account to pay their employees, bad book keeping probably, but im sure glad i kept getting my paycheck. i make my family pay me, it is my only source of income but it is far less than what they would pay for outside care. i do also make them pay a paperwork fee every 3 months that i use to take classes, pay copays for dr medical clearances, cpr, save for tax time, do crafts, & go on outings. however i get to be my own boss, make my own schedule, and spend time with the kids i really want to be with is amazing.
Tags:licensor
Reply Up