Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lice!! Omg, My Nightmares Come True
littlefriends 11:28 AM 03-06-2019
Okay so parasites and bugs literally make me sick to my stomach. I have yet to have to deal with lice. Dcm just texted me that the nurse called, her oldest has lice and needs to be picked up from school. She says for me to check dcb because he and her oldest are super close so he needs to be checked and for me to check the other dcks. Agh!!!! They’re all asleep right now, I have 9. I don’t even know what lice looks like!!! I wanna barf... Do I check them all right now or wait til they wake up?! Should I make her come get him just in case?!
happymom 11:38 AM 03-06-2019
Check the sibling now.
Nits are like tiny clear/tan sticky balls that are stuck to the hairs and hard to pull off. Nits are the eggs, they lay them close to the shaft of the hair.
Lice are actual bugs, bigger than fleas and gray/clearish.

You are right to be grossed out.

If dcb has nits/bugs you will want to treat your house for lice. Wash bedding/stuffed animals. I would buy a metal nit comb just in case you or someone in your family ends up with it. It's easier to get rid of the quicker you can identify the problem and start working on treating.
DaveA 11:42 AM 03-06-2019
Check the sibling now. If they have them call for pickup. I would go ahead and grab a nit comb, wash anything soft/ plush, and count on checking sibling for the next few days upon arrival.

Good luck and hope they caught it before it spreads/ makes it to your house.
littlefriends 11:57 AM 03-06-2019
Originally Posted by happymom:
Check the sibling now.
Nits are like tiny clear/tan sticky balls that are stuck to the hairs and hard to pull off. Nits are the eggs, they lay them close to the shaft of the hair.
Lice are actual bugs, bigger than fleas and gray/clearish.

You are right to be grossed out.

If dcb has nits/bugs you will want to treat your house for lice. Wash bedding/stuffed animals. I would buy a metal nit comb just in case you or someone in your family ends up with it. It's easier to get rid of the quicker you can identify the problem and start working on treating.
Bigger than fleas?! So you can actually see them walking around in the hair?!
e.j. 01:49 PM 03-06-2019
Originally Posted by littlefriends:
Bigger than fleas?! So you can actually see them walking around in the hair?!
You can see the adult lice moving around in the hair. The eggs can look like dandruff so if her sibling has what looks like dandruff, you might want to send him home asap.
littlefriends 02:16 PM 03-06-2019
He has it too I found two little live ones, really small, barely moving about. When I pulled them out I could see their little legs moving!!! I’m dying! I sent him home and said he can’t come back until he’s totally lice AND nit free. You better believe I’m gonna be checking every single last one of these kids every day for at least a week. Maybe even a month!! Ew
Snowmom 02:41 PM 03-06-2019
It is gross. I'm itching just writing this.

I have a black light (flashlight) and check the kids regularly.
This is the one I have: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It really helps to see the little critters.
Also, remember that nits can look like dandruff at times. But if you flick it and it doesn't move, it's likely a nit.

In the past, I am more lenient with families who pay for a professional to remove them. Lice Lady is in my area. If a family brings in a receipt from them and she states they are lice free, I tend to believe it.
If not, I'm checking with my flashlight at the door.
happymom 03:18 PM 03-06-2019
Oh wow I never knew about the blacklight thing! I own that same exact light because my cat was peeing on the floor
littlefriends 05:51 PM 03-06-2019
I ran out and got a nit comb and a robi comb so thoroughly going through every kid’s hair tomorrow. I’m wondering if I should close so I can really clean super good?? I don’t have any carpet and my furniture is all leather/wood. I washed everything in all the cubbies. No stuffed toys, pillows or cots. Any advice on cleaning? I have no clue what to do-do they only live on soft surfaces??
springv 06:29 PM 03-06-2019
Have the parents check their child's head really well and I would definitely close until this gets resolved
ColorfulSunburst 07:26 PM 03-06-2019
Originally Posted by littlefriends:
I ran out and got a nit comb and a robi comb so thoroughly going through every kid’s hair tomorrow.
are you going to use one comb for all kids?!
It is the best way to spread lice!
Josiegirl 02:03 AM 03-07-2019
Don't panic. One of my dds had lice a million years ago; nobody else got it and it took 6 long tedious weeks to eradicate them completely. Then twin dcgs had them a couple years ago; nobody else got them.
It sounds like you're already ahead of the game with no carpets and furniture to attract them.
Keep the dcks' hair put up. Do away with any dress-up temporarily. Don't allow backpacks and keep all their clothing, snow gear, etc., separated in plastic bags. As for the nit comb, either buy more or boil it between uses. I wouldn't close but do double check each child(triple check the affected dcks) before your day gets going. If any are found, call parent immediately.
Vacuum a lot. I'm not sure if lice just live in soft materials; but do vacuum corners, crevices.
You got this!
Blackcat31 05:58 AM 03-07-2019
This is a great site with a TON of info and helpful tips, ideas and tricks to rid your home of lice.

http://www.headlice.org/
Blackcat31 05:59 AM 03-07-2019
Other threads with more helpful tips and suggestions:

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=lice
littlefriends 09:39 AM 03-07-2019
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
are you going to use one comb for all kids?!
It is the best way to spread lice!
Checking each one individually and cleaning it well in between!
littlefriends 09:41 AM 03-07-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This is a great site with a TON of info and helpful tips, ideas and tricks to rid your home of lice.

http://www.headlice.org/
Thanks! I copied and pasted this to all my parents!

So far everyone else has been clear. I’m going to check daily for a good long while this has freaked me out to no end! So gross.
Tags:lice, nits
Reply Up