Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would You Do?
MomBoss 01:48 PM 04-05-2019
We are outside playing during pickup time. I have a changing pad diapers and wipes on the patio. Since we are outside i cant smell if someone poops. The parent picks up and realizes their child has a poopy diaper. Do you show them the changing area or do you change the child yourself?
LittleExplorers 01:53 PM 04-05-2019
The parent probably isn't familiar with the patio set up such as where their kiddo's diapers are and where/how to wash hands after. I would probably just do it.
Ms.Kay 01:57 PM 04-05-2019
I do it....10x faster at it.😎
MomBoss 01:58 PM 04-05-2019
Its a changing pad with a box of diapers and wipes. They have to walk right past it to get to the children. Its an enclosed patio they have to walk thrpugh to get to the back yard and i would have to turn my back to the children and go into the partio to change the child.
Ive heard some providers consider themselves off the clock once the parent arrives so i wondered what everyone does in these sitiations. A lot of times the child wants their parent so i feel they should just do it. Idk!
CountryRoads 02:04 PM 04-05-2019
I've offered before, but the parent will usually do it. I would direct them where the changing area is.

I had a parent just plop their kid down on the daycare kitchen floor and change her child's stinky diaper. And then throw it away in the kitchen trash can. EW.
megoddess444 02:34 PM 04-05-2019
I would change the child. They pooped on my watch.
PB&J 03:17 PM 04-05-2019
Originally Posted by megoddess444:
I would change the child. They pooped on my watch.
I have a couple of DCK who poop in the car on the way in most mornings. I’m trying to get breakfast served and talk to parents about daily needs. Would you ask the parents to change the children who pooped on the way in? It’s a hectic time and I don’t generally ask them to.....but I sure am happy at the rare parent who offers! What do you all do?
gumdrops 04:57 PM 04-05-2019
I'm funny about my personal space, and my changing table isn't near the entry, so I do it. I had a parent offer a few weeks ago, but I said I would do it. Then mom followed me and stood over my shoulder as I did it...awkward!
Josiegirl 05:05 PM 04-05-2019
I always offer, whether they're picking up or dropping off it doesn't matter. I have no problem changing diapers unless they're so disgustingly nasty I feel like vomiting.
lblanke 06:05 PM 04-05-2019
Parent here...I would prefer to change my own child's diaper. It only happened once (kids were playing outside for field day), so I took her in and changed her. There were 2 teachers and 1 child.
megoddess444 07:22 PM 04-05-2019
Originally Posted by lblanke:
Parent here...I would prefer to change my own child's diaper. It only happened once (kids were playing outside for field day), so I took her in and changed her. There were 2 teachers and 1 child.
That makes you a VERY rare parent. Good job! I have had more than 50 families in my daycare the last 15 years. Not one has offered to change their child on drop off. They just hand over and say, “ little Johnny pooped on the way over “ I would Never send a child home with a dirty diaper. And as a parent, I would have NEVER left my child with someone without making sure their diaper was clean.
MomBoss 11:56 PM 04-05-2019
Originally Posted by gumdrops:
I'm funny about my personal space, and my changing table isn't near the entry, so I do it. I had a parent offer a few weeks ago, but I said I would do it. Then mom followed me and stood over my shoulder as I did it...awkward!
This!
LittleExplorers 06:40 PM 04-06-2019
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
Its a changing pad with a box of diapers and wipes. They have to walk right past it to get to the children. Its an enclosed patio they have to walk thrpugh to get to the back yard and i would have to turn my back to the children and go into the partio to change the child.
Ive heard some providers consider themselves off the clock once the parent arrives so i wondered what everyone does in these sitiations. A lot of times the child wants their parent so i feel they should just do it. Idk!
We have strict rules about sanitizing the area between changed and washing hands with soap and water, drying them with a single use towel. I am not going to trust a parent to do all that.
DaveA 05:44 AM 04-07-2019
I'd offer to change them, but usually the parents will do it regardless.
e.j. 09:45 AM 04-07-2019
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
I would generally have all of the kids come into the enclosed patio with me while I changed the dirty diaper. Depending on the kids in my care, though, it can sometimes be easier/faster to just have the parent do the diaper change than to try to drag kids away from their outside play. In that case, if I knew the parent well enough to know he/she wouldn't mind doing the diaper change, I'd just ask the parent to do it.
hwichlaz 11:34 AM 04-07-2019
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
We have strict rules about sanitizing the area between changed and washing hands with soap and water, drying them with a single use towel. I am not going to trust a parent to do all that.
once a parent is in charge of their child I don't care if they wash their own hands...I'd just sanitize the area when they were done.
Blackcat31 06:43 AM 04-08-2019
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
WE have strict rules for this when WE do these things on our watch. Parents do not.

@OP, personally, I change the child if the parent requests it otherwise, most my parents will simply grab their child and go....we live in a small town so no one's car ride home is more than a few minutes.
Ariana 08:12 AM 04-08-2019
I must be odd because I insist on changing them. I am faster and cleaner and I like to be in control of what is happening at my house!
knoxmomof2 10:20 AM 04-08-2019
In your scenario, I'd say "Oh, man, we need to work on her timing, huh?! Well, the stuff is on the patio if you want to change them here. Otherwise, they can probably wait until you get home. I'd do it, but I've got 7 other ones out here still." Something like that. I wouldn't try to haul all of those kids, some kicking and screaming, inside the patio when the able bodied parent is right there.

Inside, I prefer to do it. I know what is where, I don't want people messing around in things and and it won't take me long.
Cat Herder 10:31 AM 04-08-2019
Originally Posted by Ms.Kay:
I do it....10x faster at it.😎
Me, too.

Plus my decon routine is regulated by the state.
Mom2Two 11:57 AM 04-08-2019
Same as the other providers: I offer to change it. Some parents just take their kid home in poop. I think they just don't want to stick around longer than they need to. And I'd rather change it myself than have the parent do it.

But I have had one or two times in the past where a parent just up and laid their child down on my entry rug and changed right there. ?!?! It hasn't happened for a while...I might need to discourage that if it ever comes up again.
Tags:pick up, pick up - poopy diaper, poopy diaper, wwyd
Reply Up