Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCP Changing Plans...Advice/Input
Daycaremomma01 08:15 AM 04-26-2019
(I’m working on creating a “contract” per advice on my previous post.)

How do you handle plan changes?

I charge per child, daily.
In my “contract” I have:

“Please be respectful of my time - last minute changes to the days/times your child will be in my care is stressful to myself and my children, as well as you children. I understand that plans change, things come up, but keep plan changes to a minimum and make me aware of changes before 9pm the day before.
-I am available between 6:30am-9pm via phone or text. (Texts after 9pm will not be responded to until the next morning)
-If I haven’t heard from you by 9pm the day prior, I assume and expect your child to be at care at regular time the next day.
-If last minute plan changes (after 9pm the day prior) become habitual (more than 3 times) I will begin charging an inconvenience fee of $15, in addition to regular rates for that day. (Not applicable if your child becomes sick through the night, unless you fail to inform me before 6:30am via text)”

Feedback on that?
I’ve also added “no drop offs after 1pm”

This is becoming a habit with one family.
DCM texted at 8pm last night and said 2 of 3 kids would be here at regular time this morning. (3rd spending the day w/ dad)
At drop off time this morning, DCM texted and said DCD would bring them “later”.
At 10am, DMC texted saying DCD would be dropping off all 3 kids around 1:30pm. (To which I replied that nap time was 1-3 and they would need to be here before 1, and if they arrive after 12, they need to be fed. And she responded “he’ll try his best”.

Will having this fee added into my contract stop this annoying inconvenience? Am I wrong to charge for this?
Snowmom 08:24 AM 04-26-2019
The comment "he'll try his best" translates to "you work for me and we'll do what we want".
I'd change that thinking right now and text back: "That won't work for me, he needs to be here before 1:00 or stay home. The door will be locked with no admittance at that time."

I don't do plan changes, so I'm not much help there.
I also don't respond to texts outside business hours. :/

Will a fee stop the behavior... maybe, if you follow through each and every time and make it due upon arrival.
Cat Herder 08:56 AM 04-26-2019
I'd just go for it and ad livable changes now. You teach people how to treat you.

No contact after business hours. All schedule changes must be made during business hours. (What center allows that? Why should you? Why is it ok for you to give away your children's time with you?) Get a Walmart phone, $35 per month, tax deductible and turn it off at closing time. There is no such thing as a daycare emergency when kids are with their parents.

No drop off's after 10 am (typical morning snack). (If they arrive later, they most likely won't nap. Why is it ok for you to allow others to interrupt the kids, whose parents were respectful, sleep?)
boy_mom 09:07 AM 04-26-2019
Agree with PP, her response speaks volumes to how little she thinks of your time and that she does not see you as a business person offering a service.

I think that the contract is too worry, if I am being honest. This person doesn't care why you are making rules and I doubt she will be following them. I would make them short, to the point and as simple as possible.

- Scheduled changes must be submitted by closing the previous day and can be accommodated at the providers discretion. No drop offs after 1pm.

I would leave our the inconvenience fee, just ignore calls or texts after closing and I would leave out the sick thing, because suddenly every schedule change will be because her kids are "sick".

I feel like its best to just cut ties with this client. I know you said she is family or related but she had no problems leaving you for cheaper care, I would have no problem dumping her for better clients! She obviously has no regard for the services you offer and she is walking all over you. We almost expect it from daycare parents, but friends and family shouldn't do that!
Mom2Two 11:55 AM 04-26-2019
The language of a contract should probably be more business like than what you are writing. Your contract should just list what you are both agreeing to in language like, "Provider agrees to provide care between the hours of abc until xyz starting on date mm/dd/yyyy" "Late pick up without prior agreement from provider will result in a fee of $30/hour with a minimum charge of $5" (or whatever) "Client agrees to follow all policies" "If a child is dropped off with significant symptoms, client will be charged $xx.xx" and stuff like that.

An outline of my contract is like this:

P. 1

a. Names, addresses, of parents;
b. List ofchildren covered by the contract.

P. 2 & 3

a. First day of care: date
b. Regular hours of care
(bullet points)
c. Sick care and other policies
(bullet points)
** These are just policies that have a fee associated with them. I have many more policies that are in my full policy list
d. Rates, Fees, and Payment
(bullet points)
Billing (sub heading)
(bullet points)
Trial Period and Termination (sub heading)
(bullet points)

P. 4

Note that failure to enforce one policy doesn't negate the whole contract.
Note that client is agreeing to abide by the contract and to follow all policies

Signatures, dates, etc.
DaveA 12:09 PM 04-26-2019
Like previous posters alluded to- "he'll try his best" means "you work for me & you need reminded of that".

Set up a contract now with what others have said and from some of the other threads about what should go in contracts. Give it to parents and enforce it. If parents resist, replace with new families who will follow it. Run your business to meet the needs of you and your family.
Ariana 12:38 PM 04-26-2019
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
The language of a contract should probably be more business like than what you are writing. Your contract should just list what you are both agreeing to in language like, "Provider agrees to provide care between the hours of abc until xyz starting on date mm/dd/yyyy" "Late pick up without prior agreement from provider will result in a fee of $30/hour with a minimum charge of $5" (or whatever) "Client agrees to follow all policies" "If a child is dropped off with significant symptoms, client will be charged $xx.xx" and stuff like that.

An outline of my contract is like this:

P. 1

a. Names, addresses, of parents;
b. List ofchildren covered by the contract.

P. 2 & 3

a. First day of care: date
b. Regular hours of care
(bullet points)
c. Sick care and other policies
(bullet points)
** These are just policies that have a fee associated with them. I have many more policies that are in my full policy list
d. Rates, Fees, and Payment
(bullet points)
Billing (sub heading)
(bullet points)
Trial Period and Termination (sub heading)
(bullet points)

P. 4

Note that failure to enforce one policy doesn't negate the whole contract.
Note that client is agreeing to abide by the contract and to follow all policies

Signatures, dates, etc.
Agree with this 100%. More business like. I can provide XYZ. Explaining and reasoning leaves things open for negotiations.

So instead of “please be respectful of my time” say “please be here no later than 5pm or late fees will be charged”. You need to really spell it out because being “respectful” is not in some peoples vocabulary.
hwichlaz 03:20 PM 04-26-2019
no changes unless I agree 2 weeks in advance. But I only take full time kids.
Tags:contract - new, contract sample, parents - changing things, policy - revisions, schedule - changes
Reply Up