Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kids Television Shows Today
springv 03:33 PM 05-14-2019
Today I was checking my email and I had received an email from the today show and while I was reading it and noticed that the show Arthur (that has been running since I was a child) has aired its 22nd season on Monday and they have now decided to make the teacher gay. When we had a television with a DVD player, we would allow the children to watch old episodes of Arthur and never really thought about it beforehand. Here is my question, for those of you that allow the children to watch tv between transitions or after nap, do you believe that the children's television shows that are suppose to be geared towards children today actually geared towards children like they were in the past or are they totally going into a different direction? Just curious as to what you feel like as a childcare provider
Indoorvoice 05:37 PM 05-14-2019
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
Today I was checking my email and I had received an email from the today show and while I was reading it and noticed that the show Arthur (that has been running since I was a child) has aired its 22nd season on Monday and they have now decided to make the teacher gay. When we had a television with a DVD player, we would allow the children to watch old episodes of Arthur and never really thought about it beforehand. Here is my question, for those of you that allow the children to watch tv between transitions or after nap, do you believe that the children's television shows that are suppose to be geared towards children today actually geared towards children like they were in the past or are they totally going into a different direction? Just curious as to what you feel like as a childcare provider
I don't let my daycare kids have screen time at all and wouldn't allow other people's children to be exposed to this in my home. But times are different now and I see nothing wrong with my own kids being exposed to this kind of stuff. Kids are going to encounter gay people in their lives these days. It is good for them to have exposure to it and know how to interact and be empathetic with people who may be different than them. Who knows, we may even be providing care to a child who will turn out to be gay. I don't see the big deal.
Ariana 05:51 PM 05-14-2019
The media is likely making a big deal out of it. Kids won’t even notice if a character is gay or not! Whenever we talk about same sex marriage and relationships my kids get bored and couldn’t care less, to them it is normal and not something to be discussed or talked about really. The media likes to turn it into something it’s not I think!

We don’t watch tv at daycare usually.
Josiegirl 02:10 AM 05-15-2019
I haven't had a TV in many years and don't let the dcks watch videos at all. I think it's a good thing for them to represent all ways. But at a young age I don't think there needs to be a lot of sexual type teaching of any kind so I guess it all depends on how it's brought into the story line. Maybe they should promote things such as nontraditional play like boys playing with dolls/girls with trucks, that type of thing instead. Be who you want to be but promote tolerance, kindness and acceptance. Introduce these things matter-of-factly and don't make it into a big deal, ya know?
I used to have a dcf with 2 moms, dcks never blinked an eye. It just was. I have books geared towards little ones about different types of families, including kids living with grandparents, biracial families, 2 moms/dads.
DaveA 04:36 AM 05-15-2019
We do 1 episode of Disney Jr after lunch while cleaning up and transitioning to cots. Kind of hard to throw messaging into the really "young" cartoons like Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. I don't think kids pay much attention to it anyway. They just want something that catches their attention for a few minutes. IMHO It's done more so the adults think they are doing "something good/ important" rather than "just" being cute for the kids. Not making a value judgment on the message or what they are trying to do. Just my thought on why it is done.
Jupadia 12:53 PM 05-15-2019
We do a movie day once a week, I'll either put on a few episodes of a favorite show like paw patrol, octonuts, or super why. Or some other show ff Netflix, sometimes it's an actual movie.
Other days if needed for transition coming inside before lunch I'll put a show on, for 20 min tops, so I can get lunch ready.

But in regards to old episodes I had to explain to my own kid why Jupiter was not a planet after he watched an episode of Magic School Bus
Blackcat31 01:38 PM 05-15-2019
Originally Posted by Jupadia:
But in regards to old episodes I had to explain to my own kid why Jupiter was not a planet after he watched an episode of Magic School Bus
...but Jupiter IS a planet.
Josiegirl 03:17 PM 05-15-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Lol Isn't it Pluto they decided wasn't a planet after all those years? But then maybe they decided it was...again? Can't remember. I'm still trying to get over the fact we still celebrate Columbus Day, honoring such a terrible man.
springv 04:33 PM 05-15-2019
I've heard Jupiter is a planet as well but then i heard it was a star only
Jupadia 05:14 PM 05-15-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Sorry I had ment to type Pluto it's what I was thinking but not what I wrote
storybookending 06:39 PM 05-15-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
The media is likely making a big deal out of it. Kids won’t even notice if a character is gay or not! Whenever we talk about same sex marriage and relationships my kids get bored and couldn’t care less, to them it is normal and not something to be discussed or talked about really. The media likes to turn it into something it’s not I think!

We don’t watch tv at daycare usually.
ALLLL of this. I grew up on Arthur.. never once did I wonder about the teachers sexuality.
Pestle 11:27 PM 05-15-2019
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
I've heard Jupiter is a planet as well but then i heard it was a star only
. . .

moving along

There is nothing sexual about representing families that have two same-gender parents. If there were, having opposite-gender parents would also be sexual content in children's programming. It's not.

Or is it? Is it sexual content to show opposite-sex parents or to have adult figures in children's programming mention an opposite-sex spouse?

The writers' choice to make the teacher gay is no more forced than the writers' choice to make the teacher straight. Chances are strong that some of the writing staff actually are gay, and grew up watching a TV fantasy land where everybody like them didn't exist. It's not a good way to grow up, with only one model of family presented to you. You can find yourself at age 30 in a mixed-orientation marriage suddenly realizing that all the girls you grew up with weren't faking it when they said boys were cute.

So . . . there's a demand for stories like that. You don't want the kids to see stories that include people who aren't heterosexual. A lot of people do. That's not how it was when we were children. The money lay elsewhere. If you don't like the narrative, show nature documentaries.
Hunni Bee 06:31 AM 05-16-2019
I don't care a fig. Some men marry other men. So what.

I let my kids go on Starfall for about 10 minutes per day per kid. That's it.

I also don't do screen time for my daughter at home. Occasionally tablet time (like once every 2 weeks). We don't have cable and she's not interested.
Blackcat31 06:35 AM 05-16-2019
Originally Posted by Jupadia:
Sorry I had ment to type Pluto it's what I was thinking but not what I wrote
I figured....but then I wondered as they change things so often in school now days that I thought I must just be out of the loop

FWIW~ Pluto is still a planet to me.
Tags:television
Reply Up