Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Send My Closing Letter in a Text?
MomBoss 08:16 PM 06-19-2019
Since Im moving and starting my daycare over, Ive been working on a daycare closing letter. Would it be ok to send via text message? I feel like if i hand them a letter, ill end up explaining it in person. I rather not chit chat about it too much.
boy_mom 08:29 PM 06-19-2019
Maybe an email... seems more professional than a text. You could let parents know you will be sending out an email after pick up.

When I close my daycare I ended up having to answer questions no matter how hard I tried to not have parents focus on it.

I think the key is to have a script in regards to what you want to say when parents ask questions and prepare to be vague on things you dont want to say too much about!!
Josiegirl 03:19 AM 06-20-2019
Not a text. That's meant for things like come pick up dck, now. Or I don't have Jimmy's snowsuit. IMO Not for closing a dc. Email is better but why can't you hand them a letter when they pick up their child and just tell them to take it home and read it when they've got time. I suspect they might be expecting it because they must know you're moving? That's what I did, handed them a letter. Then we discussed it the next day when everyone had had time to digest the news. Then it got talked about for 2 months every time the parents met at the same time. Any way you do it, if you have a good relationship with your dcfs, it's not an easy thing to do and will undoubtedly, need that chit chat to help everyone come to terms with it.

And honestly, because you're moving and starting over, it really doesn't need to be talked about a whole lot, except maybe to help them in their search for new dc. It's not as if you're terminating 1 or 2 dcfs. They're all going. KWIM?
DaveA 03:47 AM 06-20-2019
I would do an email. Put the local R&R info in it for parents to find other care. You're probably going to be discussing it anyway, so plan on keeping the conversations short and to the point.

Good Luck!
MomBoss 04:34 AM 06-20-2019
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Not a text. That's meant for things like come pick up dck, now. Or I don't have Jimmy's snowsuit. IMO Not for closing a dc. Email is better but why can't you hand them a letter when they pick up their child and just tell them to take it home and read it when they've got time. I suspect they might be expecting it because they must know you're moving? That's what I did, handed them a letter. Then we discussed it the next day when everyone had had time to digest the news. Then it got talked about for 2 months every time the parents met at the same time. Any way you do it, if you have a good relationship with your dcfs, it's not an easy thing to do and will undoubtedly, need that chit chat to help everyone come to terms with it.

And honestly, because you're moving and starting over, it really doesn't need to be talked about a whole lot, except maybe to help them in their search for new dc. It's not as if you're terminating 1 or 2 dcfs. They're all going. KWIM?
I get what your saying. I just have parents that dont leave right away and the last time i handed out a letter, they all asked what it was and i ended up reading it for them. So the letter was pointless lol
rosieteddy 05:24 AM 06-20-2019
I gave important letters out on Fridays.The letter was in their bag .At pickup I would tell them that it was there.In the letter I asked that they not discuss with children,until we talked.There is no getting around the talk.Text seems unprofessional to me .
Indoorvoice 05:49 AM 06-20-2019
I also think you should do a letter or email. I just closed my daycare and it was difficult. I didn't have a good excuse like moving either. I just didn't want to do it anymore. I had the letter in their cubbies at pick up time. I said to each one as they opened the door ready to leave: I have some tough news. Unfortunately I have to close my daycare. Here is a letter with all of the details and suggestions of local daycares with openings. Please take it home tonight and read it and let me know if you have any questions. This is very difficult for me as I'm sure it is for you too but just know it is nothing personal. Have a great night.... Then shut the door. Almost of them said, "oh ok." Text is too impersonal for this. You can word it in a way that doesn't open doors for questions.
Cat Herder 06:07 AM 06-20-2019
I would do it face to face then post the closing date and brief goodbye blurb with various photos from over the years on our private facebook page.

Text would be inappropriate for this, IMHO.
knoxmomof2 06:35 AM 06-20-2019
Another vote for email or letter. As much as you want to, there's no getting around this. Put the letters in bags on Friday and tell them just as they're headed out the door. Just be vague or short with your answers or change the subject after you've discussed it that first time. For the ones that already linger, brief answer and then "hey, I'm going to let you go, it sounds like the toilet's still running / the dog needs in / the cat is scratching at the gate again / my son needs me/ I think I smell a poopy diaper/ time to start supper, sounds like I've got a text from another DCP", etc.. Whatever suits your situation. Have a list ready.. Haha..

Good luck!!!
springv 09:24 AM 06-20-2019
I would do a letter and put the child's name on it and put it on the parent board. That's what we do when we have something important to say
e.j. 11:53 AM 06-20-2019
To me, some things really just need to be done face-to-face and closing/moving the day care is one of them. I'd do what Josie suggested and if you don't have time to discuss it or want to risk having parents stay beyond their pick up time, I'd just say something like, "I don't have time to discuss it tonight but I wanted to let you know..... Here is a letter that explains everything and includes information on other day cares in the area. If you have any questions...."
Tags:closing daycare, closing letter
Reply Up