Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Possibly Illegal Daycare - Job Offer
LK- Anon 05:31 PM 08-09-2019
Good news: I'm waiting on a job offer to become official

Bad news: There are a few red flags.

The job is at an unlicensed, in home daycare.

Red flag #1: I am the first person to ask to be paid on the books instead of under the table.

Red Flag #2: I was offered $0.50 under minimum wage. My job offer is dependent on whether or not they can afford to pay me minimum wage, on the books because that's the lowest I will go

Red Flag #3: There are 12 children registered with the 2 teachers. Again, this is an unlicensed center. I am unsure of how many children are there at any one time [a lot are part-timers]. For about an hour to two hours a day, I will be left alone with all children while the owner runs errands or picks her own children up from school. [At least two of the children are non-mobile infants].

The curriculum and how she runs things seems reasonable, but my gut is telling me to run. However, I'm in a bit of a financial bind and if I'm offered this job, I really can't afford to turn it down.

I have some interviews at licensed centers coming up, but after a string of working for some really bad companies, my resume is not pretty and that's making it difficult for me to find a position. I'm in a position where I'm not sure if something is better than nothing or if the risk is too great.

[Side note: This job will start in September so either way, I can keep going to interviews until then and jump ship if something legal comes around, but I don't know if accepting this role in the meantime would be a mistake or not.]
boy_mom 06:34 PM 08-09-2019
Not being snarky..... but if something is illegal, why would you be a part of it? Just because this is a home daycare doesn't make it any less serious when it comes to operating legally.

I do understand how stressful it is when finances are tight, a lot of us have been there. If it were me, I wouldnt want to be a part of anything that wasnt being done legally, no matter how much I needed the money.
LysesKids 08:02 PM 08-09-2019
Originally Posted by LK- Anon:
Good news: I'm waiting on a job offer to become official

Bad news: There are a few red flags.

The job is at an unlicensed, in home daycare.

Red flag #1: I am the first person to ask to be paid on the books instead of under the table.

Red Flag #2: I was offered $0.50 under minimum wage. My job offer is dependent on whether or not they can afford to pay me minimum wage, on the books because that's the lowest I will go

Red Flag #3: There are 12 children registered with the 2 teachers. Again, this is an unlicensed center. I am unsure of how many children are there at any one time [a lot are part-timers]. For about an hour to two hours a day, I will be left alone with all children while the owner runs errands or picks her own children up from school. [At least two of the children are non-mobile infants].

The curriculum and how she runs things seems reasonable, but my gut is telling me to run. However, I'm in a bit of a financial bind and if I'm offered this job, I really can't afford to turn it down.

I have some interviews at licensed centers coming up, but after a string of working for some really bad companies, my resume is not pretty and that's making it difficult for me to find a position. I'm in a position where I'm not sure if something is better than nothing or if the risk is too great.

[Side note: This job will start in September so either way, I can keep going to interviews until then and jump ship if something legal comes around, but I don't know if accepting this role in the meantime would be a mistake or not.]
I'm with boy_mom; if SHTF or something bad happens and you are working in an illegal situation... it will go on your employment record & cause you to possibly not get future jobs requiring background checks or other things requiring licensing. I won't work illegally for $$ no matter how desperate. Now if she pays you on the books, she better be up to code, because that too can come back to haunt her & you if not done right... I wouldn't want to find out she's keeping 2 sets of records come tax time
284878 01:59 AM 08-10-2019
Keep looking because she's not going to offer you the job unless she can't find any one else in time. If she does be prepared to lose it on trumpet up charges as a way of scaring you into keeping your mouth shut about what you know, once she finds someone to replace you.

Because even though you see a fifty cents difference in the pay, the truth is that you are asking her to pay much more than that in taxes and insurance plus extra work.
racemom 06:46 PM 08-10-2019
I would not take it, if something happens to a child while in care, you could be held responsible, because you knew it wasn't legal.
Josiegirl 03:51 AM 08-11-2019
To me, those are huge red flags I wouldn't want to be a part of. Keep looking!!
DaveA 04:46 AM 08-11-2019
You want no part of this. Way too many things that could go wrong for you. Too much of a risk to take.
Cat Herder 06:20 AM 08-11-2019
I would not be in a hurry to board a sinking ship.
springv 06:54 AM 08-11-2019
Call and report the daycare and DO NOT take the job no matter how desperately you need or how desperately she wants you there!
LK- Anon 07:07 AM 08-11-2019
The problem is, my unemployment money runs out in two weeks. I have no savings. I won't be able to afford food in a couple of weeks.

I'm still looking for something else regardless, but I need some source of income.
coloradoprovider 10:15 AM 08-11-2019
Everyone here is advising you not to do it. Please listen and if money is that tight do anything else that's legal. Check out day labor type of places. Stocking shelves, flaggers for road construction, cleaning office buildings - anything legal. Also, not paying minimum wage?! Minimum wage is already so low that offering less is wrong on their part. For your needs in the meantime, food banks for food, let family and friends know your situation - they may be able to advise for your specific situation.
Respectfully 10:39 AM 08-11-2019
Script:

Daycare Lady: Hello
You: Hello MA'AM! I was calling you to let you know that I am very excited and hopeful to work for you. Look truth is, I really need this job. I believe that you will, in addition, be a great mentor for me. I hope to be an asset to your organization ma'am and ask that you'd please allow me this great opportunity. Yet something has been tugging on my heart and is the secondary reason for the call, I have a request of you regarding a few things that I am hoping/praying you may please consider. (remember to use your manners and address the daycare facilitator as Ma'am)

(Then go through your list that you have drawn up for us here on this forum and focus on red flag 2 and part of 3...how can you kindly and respectfully present your concerns to her in a humble way and in form of questions that will require her to answer both questions without feeling like she is being judged, attacked, or should fear you)

Its obvious that the people that are saying to not take the job have not been in poverty-states.

You need to keep yourself sustained until you get to better position. You may simply consider yourself a "inspection guardian leader". I know that she may not be getting it 100% as a daycare provider but maybe you will be a positive light. Also, you never know why God put you there. By law we are mandated reporters so if you see any child abuse happening be sure to report. The other details are on her.

But best believe, if you take this job, you will need to make sure that you are extremely patient. Make sure that you track all your hours; ask if you can be responsible for running the errands that she needs you to. But NEVER allow her to leave you with 12 kids alone. The minimum in California is 6 per caregiver. Therefore, you have to be wise and creative and humble and kind in order to convince her and make her feel comfortable at the same time. Be polite and kind and non-judgmental/critical.

In the meantime, make sure that you are spending at least 3-4 hours a day looking for another job. If you fail to seek work and to nail interviews, you are going to crash and burn with this job. This is not your future at her facility. Never forget that and stay humble and quiet. However OBSERVE! OBSERVE! and PROTECT if necessary. Protection means also being wise on how you present your case.

... still remain humble. However, you are going to need to always consider the children's safety first. Pray for her that God will direct her heart EVERYDAY! Because it may take every day that you may have to gently correct her.

As a maand when she asked you to do something concerning the kids that is not correct. Gently teach her the proper way and think of creative ways to help her come up with better practice and solutions. You can be that beacon of light. HOwever, if you are not a person that knows Christ, I would say that you should follow the advice of all the people who commented before. It takes a special person to protect and also be a positive influence wherever they go. If you are not able to be a humble inconspicuous leader, then go immediately to the temp agency and take whatever they have. Start with Labor Finders and take a farm job. I've done it.

But before you take any of my advice, please pray.

Sincerely & Respectfully
Unregistered 10:54 AM 08-11-2019
Correction 1:As a maand

"... consider yourself AN 'Inspection-guardian-servant-leader'.."

Correction 2:

[DELETE:"...As a maand..."] [& ADD: Gently turn her down and apologize (if) " ...when she ask you to do something concerning the kids that is not correct..." or legal.

Final advise:

Look up how many kids per adult...asap
LK5kids 11:50 AM 08-11-2019
In a bind do what you need to. What about McDonald’s? Don’t take this job!!!
Cat Herder 06:54 AM 08-12-2019
"Its obvious that the people that are saying to not take the job have not been in poverty-states."

That's hysterical. I am Appalachian/Irish, yes I know poverty. We've met.

Taking this job could cost her the ability to ever work in this field again. Unemployable is no solution to poverty.

She'd do better taking as many kids as she can legally in her own home until she finds something or interviewing with a temp company. Temp companies are fantastic for building resume's and letting you "try out" different fields. They are also always hiring immediately.
LostMyMarbles 07:03 AM 08-12-2019
Originally Posted by LK- Anon:
The problem is, my unemployment money runs out in two weeks. I have no savings. I won't be able to afford food in a couple of weeks.

I'm still looking for something else regardless, but I need some source of income.
Like an above poster, I don’t mean to be snarky, but it sounds like you made your mind up to take the job. Illegal is just that, illegal.
Blackcat31 08:35 AM 08-12-2019
Originally Posted by Respectfully:
Its obvious that the people that are saying to not take the job have not been in poverty-states.
Don't assume such a thing.

@OP ~ Illegal is illegal. IF something should happen, you're just as guilty as the provider. You can't push blame onto someone else just because you need the money.

If you can't find a job in your community, there are other options. Advertise as a nanny or a caregiver for hours/times/days that many families have trouble seeking care for. There are a lot of things a person can do to survive but participating in something you know is illegal is never okay and there is never a valid excuse for doing so.

Wishing you lots of good luck in the job search!
LysesKids 02:49 PM 08-12-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
"Its obvious that the people that are saying to not take the job have not been in poverty-states."

That's hysterical. I am Appalachian/Irish, yes I know poverty. We've met.

Taking this job could cost her the ability to ever work in this field again. Unemployable is no solution to poverty.

She'd do better taking as many kids as she can legally in her own home until she finds something or interviewing with a temp company. Temp companies are fantastic for building resume's and letting you "try out" different fields. They are also always hiring immediately.
I know right... Appalachian Irish here too... and I raised my kids as a single mom, so I know poverty well. I've been in and out of half of my life now. I just hope she really thinks it thru before taking a job that might hurt her in the end
Mom2Two 06:13 PM 08-12-2019
Could you ask for a job description that says "janitor" or something that wouldn't put you in a compromising position with the children?

Idk

But for sure, find a place to get some free food. Food banks or whatever often have really good stuff to give away. It's often just slightly out of date stuff from the grocery stores.
Tags:illegal daycare
Reply Up