Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>School Aged Kids Games
TwinMama 02:42 PM 05-28-2015
Okay...so I have siblings that will be here for the Summer. They don't really compromise well when it comes to what they play.

Kickball is the big game that they usually play. I also got them to play the game "Steal the Bacon".

However, to alleviate a little bit of arguing if possible I'm making a calendar that has games on each day that will have the games of the day.

Any suggestions for games? There are 3 of them...ages 9, 10, and 5.
Bookworm 02:44 PM 05-28-2015
Go to Pinterest and look up Minute to Win It games. There are plenty of them to keep them interested.
TwinMama 05:45 AM 05-29-2015
Originally Posted by Bookworm:
Go to Pinterest and look up Minute to Win It games. There are plenty of them to keep them interested.
I tried Minute to win it before and they quit when they realized that there were no prizes and that it was just for fun.
Blackcat31 06:19 AM 05-29-2015
Originally Posted by TwinMama:
Okay...so I have siblings that will be here for the Summer. They don't really compromise well when it comes to what they play.

Kickball is the big game that they usually play. I also got them to play the game "Steal the Bacon".

However, to alleviate a little bit of arguing if possible I'm making a calendar that has games on each day that will have the games of the day.

Any suggestions for games? There are 3 of them...ages 9, 10, and 5.
I think it's great that you are trying to be proactive with these kids but in my experience, school agers aren't really keen on structured anything.

They get bored easily and seem to delight in NOT liking whatever you have planned even if it's what they want to do...

I don't know, its baffling sometimes......

I couldn't handle the constant strife they bring to the day when there is more than one so I stopped taking anyone over Kindergarten age a few years ago and found a whole new love for my job.

I hope you are successful in entertaining the kids this summer as it appears you are really trying to meet their needs but please don't be bummed or sad if they aren't as receptive to your planned schedule as you want them to be.

I've read many posts by providers stating how much time and effort they have put into providing a super fun atmosphere/plans for school agers only to be disappointed in their lack of enthusiasm.

If that happens, don't let it get to you.

I usually tell my kids that THEY are in charge of their own happiness...they can find ways to be happy or they can be bored all summer....it really is their choice.
MsLisa 06:50 AM 05-29-2015
I work with about 18 SA kids every day plus I use to do before & after school care for families. So i'm well versed in SA land. lol.

Popular in the gym:
Frisbee. Dodgeball. Gymnastic stuff (think obstacle course). Basketball. Bean bag tosses (you can get them on Oriental trade). Ball pit. Wall ball. Kiddie pool and shaving cream filled balloons on hot days.

Popular in the classroom:
Card games are super popular, one called "Speed" especially. Chess & checkers. Coloring sheets & mini art projects (usually the girls). Car tracks/cars. Beyblades or anything similar. Wii games. Pokemon or Minecraft ANYTHING. Jewelry making. Dress up on occasions.

From experience, I agree with Blackcat. Don't take it personally if you plan out this amazing day for them and only to find they hate it or don't' appreciate it. I've done some elaborate themes and things for both my now program and past personal care days. Some were a big hit, but some also were a big miss. You learn not to go too crazy over it. They are a finicky bunch. It takes a lot of patience and trial and error to make things work. Sometimes they are just fun to hang out with or watch them make up their own things. Good luck!
TwinMama 06:59 AM 05-29-2015
Thank you both for letting me know this. I've been stumped, because the Mom keeps telling me how happy the kids are to come here but they seem so ornery pants while they're here.

The school agers are even more demanding than the little ones too. They will do everything they possibly can to disagree.

Black Cat, I think I'm going to use the "you are in charge of your own happiness" on the 9 year old. She really does a lot of negative things like pout, cry, and quit for attention.
childcaremom 07:29 AM 05-29-2015
Well I would start off by giving them the gift of boredom. Provide them with a few prompts and then let them figure it out.

Popular with my kids that age:
cards - spit, kings in the corner
magic tricks
mud kitchen - VERY popular
water play - coloured water, various dispensers
chalk
art
playdough with accessories (loose parts)
Treasure Hunts
Garden space

Do you have time to read aloud with them? Get them hooked on some good series: Harry Potter, Percy Jackson

I plan to read aloud from a novel this summer and have the kids draw while I am reading.
TwinMama 08:17 AM 05-29-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
Well I would start off by giving them the gift of boredom. Provide them with a few prompts and then let them figure it out.

Popular with my kids that age:
cards - spit, kings in the corner
magic tricks
mud kitchen - VERY popular
water play - coloured water, various dispensers
chalk
art
playdough with accessories (loose parts)
Treasure Hunts
Garden space

Do you have time to read aloud with them? Get them hooked on some good series: Harry Potter, Percy Jackson

I plan to read aloud from a novel this summer and have the kids draw while I am reading.
That's brilliant!!!! They would like the reading while they did art.
childcaremom 08:35 AM 05-29-2015
Originally Posted by TwinMama:
That's brilliant!!!! They would like the reading while they did art.
Right? Not my idea.... I follow the artful parent on facebook and found it there. I love it, though. She has a lot of really neat ideas that older kids would probably enjoy.
Reply Up